Check this new Heritage LP (soap bar) out - from Jay Wolfe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samwheat, Jul 10, 2006.

1. hansv

hansv Member

Why'd they hold off for so long?

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have an old '96 Heritage goldtop (with a gold back! blechhh!). I wish it looked more like that one.

Mine's got the Heritage bridge and tailpiece. Anyone know exactly what I need to make it look like that one, preferrably in nickel?

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

That looks pretty nice!

Heritage hasn't done the P90 thing til recently, and as Jay Wolfe says in his ad copy and told me, when I was buying one of the H137, LP Special w/P90 type guitars, from him, only after he's hounded them for a couple of years, I guess he's their biggest dealer and has a little clout. I guess they don't have much trouble selling whatever they make.

I'd like to see some archtops! If you go to Heritage's website and download the PDF that says "150 Pictures" the first guitar pic is of a one off archtop being built (with Hank Thompson inlaid on the neck) with dogears. I guess you could special order anything, but there is a lot to said for getting a guitar already built--no wait, you try it out before you buy, etc.

Also great that they use Lollars. I have two sets of his P90's now including the H137, certainly lots of other testimonials here and elsewhere. I think one could be pretty confident they aren't going to have to spend another couple of hundred bucks on a swap (though they're are certainly other great P90's out there as well.)

4. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Yup, dat un is purty. I gotsa cherryburst H157 dat i luv 2.

6. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

anyone work w/ wolfe yet?
    i have been emailing jay and he's enthusiastic, responsive and fast w/ email.
    i spoke on the telephone for quite a bit w/ graham discussing my potential h550 thin, feedback suppression, heritage construction. graham was patient, fun, lotsa energy. just great.
    the same vibe i used to get from gmp when they were alive n kickin.
    i cannot wait to orde my heritage!

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've bought two Heritages through Jay Wolfe; an H-137 with the already mentioned Lollars and a Prospect.

Jay and Graheme were both easy to work with, I bought the 137 stock but I had a few things done to the Prospect to make it a special order. Even though they had a few Prospects in stock, they never tried to push one on me in lieu of ordering my own. I live pretty close to Heritage, so it was no problem for me to pick it up at the factory. I got an email from Ren Wall at Heritage, I went to the factory, we called Jay and I gave him a credit card. He and Bill Paige of Heritage exchanged a few numbers and I walked out of the factory with my guitar. Great service by all!

Incidently if you have a chance to try one, the Prospect is a slightly different guitar but is one of the great "secrets" of the guitar world. A 15/16 body size 335 style but normal neck scale, and the center block doesn't touch the back of the body. To my admittedly opinionated ears, this makes it much more musical. I opted for an ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood and few other goodies and the tag was still less than 2 grand.

They'll even put Lollar P-90s on it if you want and I saw one going out the door with Duncan Phat Cats on it as well.

8. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

hey flyin brian! ah... i think you have some of the experiences i'm looking for!
    if you dont mind me asking...
    the h550 thin w/ the 2.25" rim body is something i'm really g.a.s.'ing for.
    graham at wolfe told me the 550 thin has a partial block (less than an inch).

do you think that's enough block to help supress feedback the way a 537, roy clark or 535 might?
    i'm also considering if they can make one thinner...

bsically the thickness of a 537 or 535 w/ the body shape and scale of a 550.

i'm a loud, hi gain guy and i'm worried about going in a direction that might leave me disappointed in my purchase after a 4-6 mo wait.
    i'm envisioning all that time later, $2500 less in my wallet and i have a feedback machine...

jay doesnt sound against trying to find out if they can make the sustain block more substantial... i dont mind spending the cash if it turns out well... hell i might buy 2 more.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I haven't had any problem with feedback with the Prospect.

It will feedback more than a guitar with a solid block all the way through, but I've found it very musical and controllable...all I've ever had to do was move very slightly relative to my amp to make it stop. Of course the Prospect is thinner than you're planning and the body is smaller.

I don't play a lot of high gain and when I play big places, the amps are miked and the stage volume is relatively low so I might not be the best guy to answer this one.

10. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

thanks flyin brian. you know the more i think about it the more i should lean towards something w/ a center block like the 576/roy clark model. or a 535. hmmm

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Or if you prefer a smaller body double cutaway, they will make a 15 inch 535 or 555 or a Prospect with a full center block

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

13. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

nice! i like the larger size but thinner so i might shoot for a roy clark and see if they can make it 25.5" scale and use a more rounded cutaway like on the 550.

14. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

That gold top is very cool. How much are they? Heritage is one of the sleeper companies that just keep turning out great stuff. And there's a ton of history in everything they do.

15. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, did you get a quote? I'd love one of those.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1! Anyone buying a New Gibson over that is doing it purely for the name. That ain't a bad thing.......but thats the reason. [​IMG]

17. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

if heritage can do the roy clark/ h576 w/ the smaller h535 head, 25.5" scale and softer cutaway like the h550, i'll be in love.
    i'll prob order a white one and a gold top.