Check this out.....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 94prs22, Sep 13, 2006.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

It may not be a Gustavsson, Thorn, Driskill, Lentz, etc, but it's just about got to be the coolest guitar you've ever seen wouldn't you say? It's a little bit dano, a little bit tele, and a little bit LP Jr....and a whole lotta twangy @ss kickin'. Check out Creston Lea's work if you haven't yet, www.crestonguitars.com
    Brandon
    http://www.crestonguitars.com/gallery/detail.php?gid=38

2. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Well, no offence to anybody that likes it, but yuck! Just my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth. Which probably isn't much.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

My 0.2 plus your 0.2 gives us 4 cents to wager with Cliff. Thumbs down from me.

Whatever floats your boat though :)

4. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

5. 94prs22

No offence taken guys, I know that the Longhorn isn't for everybody. Ok, it's not really for many people at all. But there seems to be lots of folks on this board who dig teles and Reverends, and I thought that there might be a few fans of the wacky chic that was vintage Danelectro or the wacky users of such guitars (I guess me and Scrutinizer count as a couple so one more and there's a few). Even if you don't like the Longhorn, click on the Gallery tab and check out Creston's more traditional work, like the artwork on the painted mahogany tele, or Anders Parker's wormwood/barnwood pine tele. If you don't dig it, that's cool, it sends a smile 10 feet wide across my face.
    Brandon

6. suttree

suttree Member

i like 'em all. the longhorn, too. nice stuff, country chic guitars.

7. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

Wow! I totally dig this... Love d'em Dano! Too cool! :AOK
    Rawhide all the w(r)ay...
    The pine Teles gave me some serious gas too.
    Expensive?

8. chipdog

chipdog Member

The quality looks amazing and i really dig the look (talk about upper fret access!). Besides twang, how does it sound?

9. phantasm

phantasm Member

Yep, thumbs up for the crusty tele. I'm not much of a tele fan at all, but i do like that one.
    Cheers to the unusual and raw!!!

10. guitonit

guitonit Member

I have always loved the looks of the Longhorn's, but the neck joint just makes me nervous!!!!

Scott A.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Not too big on the Longhorn, but he sure makes some nice Fender based bolt ons!

12. 94prs22

I don't know how it sounds as it just got finished yesterday and slated to arrive to me tomorrow. The word, from Creston, is that the lipstick is very much in the traditional dano ballpark (with a vintage wound lipstick it really couldn't be anywhere but that area) and the p90 was quite magical in a fat tele bridge pickup sorta way (same sort of clear treble, but a fuller midrange and bigger bass that a regular tele).

The neck worried me a bit too, but remember, original danos, including longhorns, usually had 2 or 3 bolts in a straight line bolting the neck to the body.

As for cost, Creston's work is pretty reasonable. A fair bit less than a Nash, if that places it for you. Creston makes all of his own bodies and usually uses a premade, unfinished neck (which he will reshape). He does all of his own finishing, and body material, nut material, tuners, pickups, other hardware are entirely up to the person ordering the guitar.
    Brandon

13. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Reading this post reminded me that I've had this stashed away in storage for the last several years. A project that never materialized.
    I believe it's a 60's Coral body. Probably headed for the Emporium pretty soon.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Shane S

Shane S Member

I like it. I have a Jerry Jones Long Horn Double Neck and it is just cool to play out live. I wonder how it sounds compared to a regular dano/Jerry jones type guitar.

15. 94prs22

I'll have an answer for your question Shane when it gets here tomorrow. I have and use a Jerry Jones double neck Longhorn (6 string over 6 string bass) regularly. The Jerry Jones is what I used to make a body shape template for Creston to make this Longhorn.
    Brandon

16. Shane S

Shane S Member

I look forward to what you have to say about your new guitar:dude

17. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I'd say no,

just not my cup o tea. :messedup

18. 94prs22

For anyone interested, the Longhorn arrived today and it's spectacular, the fit, finish, and setup were perfect and the neck is as solid as on my Les Paul. As to the tone, specifically compared to the original Dano/Jerry Jones Longhorns, unplugged it's very much in that same ballpark, but a bright, airy, resonance that's full and open, if you've played a masonite longhorn, you know the sound. Plugged in, the lipstick is like a lipstick, midrangy with a bit of woodiness/airiness without much bass, but not as airy, or woody, or open sounding as my Jerry Jones. The lipstick was made by GFS. The p90 is very p90ish. Aggressive like a Les Paul Junior. The p90 bridge pickup along with the ash body is reminiscent of a great telecaster, but with more midrange and bass than a typical tele bridge pickup making is sound bolder, fuller, bigger.

All in all, this was an excellent custom guitar ordering experience, Creston's excellent to work with and the whole process took maybe 5-6 weeks from my first email to Creston to a guitar in my hands. If you look through his gallery, he's built/continuing to build guitars for a who's who of "alternative country" guitarists, Brian Henneman, Chuck Prophet, Mark Spencer, Anders Parker, Eric Heywood, etc. If you're looking for a custom builder for only a little coin, Creston's the man.
    Brandon

19. Shane S

Shane S Member

Great review! I hope to check one of these out someday. Enjoy the new guitar.