Checked out a new EJ strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daddyo, Jul 30, 2005.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

At the Long and McQuade in Coquitlam BC. Black. Very light. Maybe a 1/2 lb lighter than the AM std 50th next to it. Looked cool. The neck was virtually identical to my MIM Cray in size but the EJ has a slight V whereas the Cray is a C. Didn't plug it in because they have no amp room and there were 40 kids swarming over everything. Price was OK. Just over 2 large CDN. I'd buy it if I had the money.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm waiting to see one . Plugged in in the key.............Mines gotta be a Blonde though..........:cool:

3. John Bell

John Bell Member

I tried one thursday.Unplugged in a quiet store.The first thing I noticed was how light the guitar was.Also the contours seem even more comfortable than the typical strat.The neck shape was what I'd call a medium round C.Fit nicely in my hands.I didn't like the finish which felt too glossy for my tastes.The other issue was the frets.Way too small for me.They looked like 6105's dressed way down.Not an easy player by any means the way it is.A refret with full size 6105s or 6100 would do the trick.The unplugged tone was not as springy sounding as a typical strat.More like a hardtail tone.I would assume it would transfer to a more woody tone when plugged in .Just a guess on my part.It was 1,600 with case.Considering I'd want a refret and chances are the noiseless pu's would have to go,I'd pass on it.It was a nice guitar.There were just a few specs that don't suit me.Overall it was built better than your average Fender.

4. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I am fairly certain the EJ Strats do not come with noiseless pickups on them...however I cannot find the detailed specs on the pickups at the moment....

-- Barr

5. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I have one, they are not noiseless pups. I really like the stock pups and will not change them out. The tremelo is tight as it is held down by 5 springs.

I like the guitar a lot and love the frets on mine. They appear larger to me than Fender normal medium jumbo's. The neck is very glossy and a bit sticky, but I am finding that it smooths out quite a bit the more I play it.

6. John Bell

John Bell Member

Sorry...my mistake on the pickups.

7. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

John - I forgot to add in my previous comment that I would concur with most of your assessments on the EJ Strat - only difference being that I like the height of the frets on the guitar - but that is strictly a personal matter and there are many, such as yourself, who have stated that they would prefer taller frets.

Out of the box the neck is a bit too glossy (sticky) - however that glossyness does go away rather quickly once one begins to play her for a while.

In terms of pricing - you probably could find dealers who would charge ~ $200 less....

-- Barr

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Seriously...........from what I hear it has to be the best Non Custom Shop Fender around. I'm gonna be patient and jump on the first blonde used one I see.........they should be a dime a dozen in a year or so. ;)

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I agree, it does have a more "hard tail" tone. Very immediate and clean sounding. I like the frets. low and wide like Gibson. I hate the "dipped in a vat of glue" neck feel.

I can get one for a super low price and am contemplating stripping the neck and oil finishing it.

I owned #54 for a bit a few months ago. It was very light and thin sounding. This one I'm checking out, is a little heavier like a normal strat. It has a fuller tone, but still has a snappy, spunky tone. Probably the quartersawn neck. I had a QS neck made for me last year and it gave every strat I put it on a very tight, steely tone much like the EJ.

Both of these EJ's I've checked out, needed a string tree as the nut/tuner did not give enough angle. I've read this so many times. I can't believe Fender hasn't addressed it yet.

I absolutely hate the bridge pickup on the EJ's. They are weak and thin, but NOT bright. All the pickups sound really smooth. They aren't bright, but the guitar itself is. If that makes sense!

There seems to be a lot of consistency with them though. That's a good thing from Fender.
    But no SRV big, dark neck tones in these EJ guitars. I guess that's why we need several strats:D

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

They have laws on that stuff. :D

11. blong

blong Supporting Member

"I'm gonna be patient and jump on the first blonde used one I see.........they should be a dime a dozen in a year or so. "

Uhm, this thread was about guitars.
    :D

Just kidding, of course.

Bob

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I just compared the recent EJ strat I spoke of with two alder/maple custom shops. The EJ fell short. Way short. Thinner and tinny in comparison.

And this EJ was fuller sounding than the first one I tried... I really wanted to like this guitar to.

13. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I wanted an EJ real bad a few months ago. I've yet to find one I can play. The reviews I've read made me loose interest in them.