Checked out the Zoom G1on/G1Xon at NAMM today

zarl

I stopped at the Zoom both at NAMM this morning to see what was new. Nothing new with the G3/G5 series and no word on any changes to them. But, I did get a chance to check out the G1on/G1Xon pedals. At the low price point, I think these are winners for entry level players. The Zoom rep said that the amp sims are the same as in the G3, but limited to 5 effects at a time. The controls are a little different, but easy to figure out if you're used to a G3. The tones coming out of this were great, like the other Zoom pedals. I also like that these have the AUX IN to play along with an external audio source.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Plastic, less function and cost almost as much as their G3/X counterparts...?
Pass.

EDIT.

Whoops...I saw a $ listing that apparently was incorrect.
These are about 1/3 of the G3/X. $50 and $70.
If they sound as good as their big brothers...might be a good backup.

Last edited:

zarl

Plastic, less function and cost almost as much as their G3/X counterparts...?
Pass.

EDIT.

Whoops...I saw a $ listing that apparently was incorrect.
These are about 1/3 of the G3/X. $50 and $70.
If they sound as good as their big brothers...might be a good backup.
I ran through the amp models that I use on my G3. Sounds and works like the G3 as far as I can tell. Yeah, the plastic gives it a cheaper feel and the footswitches aren't all that rugged feeling. But, at that price point and with the AUX INPUT, this makes a great practice tool as well as a backup.

Tmidiman

Would have liked to have seen Zoom do a G5 for Bass! But maybe there will be an update.

And as long as they keep supporting the MS-100BT I'll be happy. Even happier if they upload some bass amps. No, I'm a guitarist, but I'm a song writer too so I play bass also.

traynor_garnet

Silver Supporting Member
So other than being "limited" to 5 effects at a time, is there any other real difference between this and the G3?

I've been looking for a cheap multifx to put on my board (I rarely use much mod, delay, or reverb, but when you need it you need it). This may fit the bill if it isn't purposefully handicapped or designed with a terrible bypass. (Is it true bypass?)

slugworth

Just looking zoom up. There is a bass version of this just up!
Good catch! 5 simultaneous effects/75 total effects vs. 3/99 in the B3. I'm curious about the models available vs. the B3. If they don't update the B3 to support more simultaneous models, then this may be the way to go for direct bass tone.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
So other than being "limited" to 5 effects at a time, is there any other real difference between this and the G3?

I've been looking for a cheap multifx to put on my board (I rarely use much mod, delay, or reverb, but when you need it you need it). This may fit the bill if it isn't purposefully handicapped or designed with a terrible bypass. (Is it true bypass?)
The most obvious difference is one window vs three.
With the G3/X you have on/off function and parameters available for the 3 visible windows/effects.
Not sure about this new one but only one window would seem to severely limit you if you want control over more than one fx.
Might work fine for some though.

rsm

Good catch! 5 simultaneous effects/75 total effects vs. 3/99 in the B3. I'm curious about the models available vs. the B3. If they don't update the B3 to support more simultaneous models, then this may be the way to go for direct bass tone.
Yes, too bad they don't update the B3 like they did the G3 for up to 5 effects or release a B5; this lower cost option has a larger signal chain of up to 5 effects, would be fine for recording, maybe tough for live use unless you are able to use patches vs stomp box. No DI / XLR out like the B3.

slugworth

The G3 can do 6 effects, and the G5 9 effects.

I can get great tone out of 3 effects on the B3, but 5 effects would give me more flexibility, and 6 would be plenty.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
While I dont doubt it sounds fine I caanot get over how FUGLY and el cheapo it looks. Reminds me of those mid 90's DOD multi effect units. Awful.

traynor_garnet

Silver Supporting Member
While I dont doubt it sounds fine I caanot get over how FUGLY and el cheapo it looks. Reminds me of those mid 90's DOD multi effect units. Awful.
I don't get why people on TGP are so preoccupied with how pedals look. This isn't a specific diss against you, but I see these types of comments all the time and just don't get it.

Build quality, OTOH, is a concern.

Henky

Looks like the USB is for firmware updates only so no Edit & Share.
It's one of the reasons i don't use my MS-50G either.
I'll stick to the G3.

Trending Topics