Checking out other user's bandcamp/soundcloud links etc

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dasein, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Dasein

Dasein Member

I was curious as to how many of you check out each other's bandcamp, reverb nation, soundcloud, and/or band website links and have a listen? I always take a listen or a look when I see a link. I love it when guys put themselves out there - and some of you folks are extremely talented. A forum like TGP is already preselected from the general masses so I imagine the signal to noise ration is much higher here and that there are some real gems to discover. I wish more of you guys would post links etc in your sigs (and I love seeing your performance videos too - those can be particularly rewarding.)

Posting links to RL social media in sigs has risk attached - particularly if you treat the forums like a cowboy in the old west because in the middle of a debate over tone or fret height your counterpart can level the "oh ya -- well I heard your band and you suck" bomb.

There's only one guy here whose stuff I don't want to hear -- and that's only because I prefer imagining how all his bands sound like and how they all look too.... Like my own little serialized movie about bar band politics - that's 2HBStrat --- It's like with KISS - I don't want him unmasked.

I'll remove my own bandcamp link for this discussion because I don't want to look like I'm fishing for listens

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yes.
    Check out TGP'ers stuff on Soundcloud.
    There's some folks on here that have "mad skills" yo.
    :aok

buddaman71 and JParry335 like this.
  3. Turi

Turi Member

I always have a listen if a link or vid is posted up in a thread.
    I love hearing it all. Even the bad stuff. It's just great to hear us noobs out there playing music.
    I've got a link in my sig that's got some of my covers and originals in it, as well as a vid of me playing to an empty pub, if you're keen.

I'm also more inclined to give a persons thoughts or postings more worth if they've got some clips up of themselves playing.
    When dudes have nothing at all for me to hear then eh.

4. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I have a somewhat esoteric but accesible project of instrumental tunes... I will rarely get a message from a member who digs it... but they are few and far between since I completed the project.
    I did get a lot of likes about it when it was initially finished and there seemed to be a fair amount of talk about it, which I appreciated greatly!
    I love looking at bandcamp links and have bought many releases from there...

flume likes this.
  5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, people are shy about posting links, because there's a lot of trolling nastiness, but I'm always interested to hear what people have.

There are some folks where after a few thousand posts, you do really want to hear a little something to back it up though.

buddaman71, flume and Turi like this.
  6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Is there a "preferred" media sharing site? We use reverbnation, the other guitarist in my old band uses soundclick, others use soundcloud, etc.

Here's our link. We're hoping to be putting up some new stuff shortly: https://www.reverbnation.com/unclebethel

Turi likes this.
  7. Dasein

Dasein Member

Your comic book project - how specific are the jams to the artist? Any themes or styles specifically inspired by the artist or their works? I'm not super familiar with comic book artist but I like the idea.

8. Dasein

Dasein Member

Lithsp - you've got that mad vocal vibrato. Plus your shred thread is epic.

Turi likes this.
  9. Turi

Turi Member

Cheers mate.
    My vibrato has literally got me kicked out of a venue before.

10. Dasein

Dasein Member

I always give guys the benefit of the doubt, and if they actually post anything they get an immediate pass from me no matter what for the Cajones.

Turi likes this.
  11. Dasein

Dasein Member

Hey Norcal - I let the songs stream from your Soundcloud - makes me curious as to what this is for you. Is recording and writing your primary creative outlet with the guitar? Where do you go with these songs from here? Are you hoping to lure a vocalist your way?

12. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I listen to, and post my own. I feel like guys don't often enough start threads with their own tunes.

buddaman71, AustinIsPresent and Turi like this.
  13. Turi

Turi Member

We're not really able to in this area.
    There's an Artist Spotlight area and also a Members Clips area for that but they're always totally dead.
    Kinda hard to get your musics heard on here.

If you posted a thread here in The Sound Hound Lounge that was a clip of your latest track or cover, it'd get moved to one of the aforementioned graveyards.

muzishun likes this.
  14. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

The main batch of songs are part of a project I'm working on with my bass player. We've been trying to find a vocalist, but so far, lots of interest, but
    nothing solid. So, recording and writing is currently my primary outlet.
    Aside from making guitar noises out in the garage, which are neither.:bonk
    The other tunes are just fleshed out ideas that are just fun
    experiments. Thanks for taking a listen!

15. Dasein

Dasein Member

C
    Very cool -- I liked the doom stoner rock vibe - showed lots of restraint. Good luck and obviously keep going.

16. Carltone

Well... it's kinda just my own take on trying to match up the style of a particular artist to what I composed in the music.

For example, the Mike Mignola Tribute called "Ghostprints" is a mysterious and atmospheric journey, brooding with a little bit of hope... kind of like the tone of the Hellboy comic books created by Mr. Mignola. They are full of ghosts and intrigue... Mignola draws a lot of stuff in the shadows... hard to make out, but super emotional. I tried to write a song like that, without words. But of course, another Mignola fan may not get that from hearing the song.... so I also tried to make the songs just stand on their own, as compositions.

17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Thanks!!
    The stoner/doom thing was totally unintentional. I bought the 8 string last year
    'cause I sorta wanted to see where it led. My bass player and I just started coming up with all these ideas/riffs that seemed to be pointing in a general direction, so we went with it. It has been fun to sort of "channel" my inner
    caveman during the creative phase of the writing.

18. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I often do. I wish more people on here would put their music in their sigs. I even have some of y'all's stuff on my mp3 player.

buddaman71, flume and Turi like this.
  19. Bee3

Bee3 Member

Generally don't click on random links, but if I engage with conversation with someone, then I would check them out. And now I'm wondering why I don't have a bandcamp link in my sig. o_O

https://justindifebbo.bandcamp.com/

Carltone and Turi like this.
  20. Carltone

Nice work!.... I really dig your vocals and ethereal guitar on "Adrift"... I'll be making a purchase tonight!