Checkout the new Matchless!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by celestion101, Sep 5, 2005.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Well, kind of new........I had a Chieftain 2x12 and wanted to go back to a 4x10 like the one I sold 2 years ago (and I kicked myself ever since). They are really rare and one never came up used, so I did something a step better.........I paid a visit to Phil (@ Matchless) and put in the order for a 4x10 combo cab (and this time I picked the colors!). It sounds awesome!! FWIW, the two rear panels are also white. Besides the fact that he's my customer, Phil is a top notch guy and really did a great job on this thing. PS - The empty tuxedo combo cab is in the amp emporium for $350 shipped!

[​IMG]

2. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Very nice Rick....play it in good health!!! :BEER

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Gotta love those shades of blue, tan and white, good taste my friend, very good taste:) oh yeah... and the amps ain't that shabby either;)

-TJK

4. celestion101

Thanks guys! I guess I tend to lean towards blue. My Bad Cat cabs are all sparkle blue as well.

That's it....I'm going with red, purple, or orange next (My other Matchless is green!).

:dude

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

Ok, and what speakers exactly did you put in it? - because I am thinking of replacing the speakers in my 4x10 Concert Reverb...

6. celestion101

I had some 10" Celestions (that we no longer make) laying around from another cab. I think they we G35T's. They only had a few hours on them so I figured why not...they sound beautifu! In fact, they are the same model that Matchless had always usesd for their 10's, so it sounds like it should. I may eventually put in the G10 Vintages because they are also getting really good reviews.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Very Nice!

Just out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A lot...! LOL!

9. myles111

myles111 Member

Congrats on the new Matchless.

I have to agree also with ..... Phil is a super guy.

rugglesgreen likes this.
  10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking amp!

Phil is a great guy. He contacted me today just to see how we made it through the hurricane. It's been years since I bought something from him but he remembered where I live and took the time to get in touch.

I would love to hear the 3-channel Independence. I really like the sounds of the Phoenix. They make several great amps (some are modern classics) but I like the fact they are coming out with new models as well.

rugglesgreen likes this.
  11. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Fit2-btied

Great Arsenal of amps a la casa!!!

12. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Well, to each his own, I guess. IMO, those colors are horrible. They don't look good together at all. Now remember, that's just my opinion and you paid for it, not me. :D

I bet those amps sound pretty darn sweet, though.

-Rich

13. celestion101

Funny that you mention the weight because we actually weighed it before I left (on his shipping scale).................78lbs! Lighter than we all thought but still awkward to carry just the same!

14. celestion101

Turquoise and white don't go together.....hmmm, ok? Or are you talking about the /13? Either way, that's what options are for and I'm happy with them. But more importantly, they sound incredible!

15. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

fit -2 nice looking amps! can you describe the tonal differences between 2X12 and the 4X10? i have a clubman and an es 410 and have allways wondered about how the 2 x12 would sound - any thoughts?

ps i would love to buy the tuxedo 2X12 cab you have for sale but my job situation has changed ( hav'nt got one now!) and better not spend my saftey $$$ on cool cabs!

16. celestion101

Hi,
    The 2x12 configuration is a little stronger on the low end. The Chieftain (to me) is a slightly dark amp and the 4x10 really opens it up. I play a lot of country and now have no problem achieving "twang" without it sounding harsh. It also seems that it had a wee bit more headroom with the 12's, but it still has plenty with the 10's.

Let me know if the job thing works out....I'd love to have you be the proud new owner of that cab!:dude

17. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

18. gearjoneser

gearjoneser Member

I'm a fan of Matchless, and have owned DC-30's and Chieftains. I kept my best 97 Chieftain 2-12, and love it.

Here's some pictures I took at the Matchless booth at the Los Angeles Amp Show - Van Nuys Airtel Plaza Hotel.

The Independence
    [​IMG]
    The Avenger
    [​IMG]
    Phoenix 35
    [​IMG]

rugglesgreen likes this.
  19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Hows the Avenger sound?

20. gearjoneser

gearjoneser Member

I didn't get to hear the Avenger, but was impressed with the Independence. I'm not sure I like the red/white/blue backlights, but the amp made me consider selling my Sampson era Chieftain. I wish they'd stick with white backlighting. Here's the descriptions I copied off the Matchless site, since I can't comment on the tone of the Avenger.

The Independence 35
    The first 35 watt 3 channel guitar amp in Matchless’ history! In addition to the signature backlit nameplate, the three channels light up red, white, and blue. Channel one (blue) is powered by one 12AX7 with a volume and tone control. Channel two (white) is powered by one 12AX7 and will provide ample chunk and crunch. Channel three (red) is all about fire. The master volume control is by-passable and features a cut control to thicken up and shave the highs. The power section of the Independence starts with a 5AR4 rectifier tube and the 35 watt output is powered by the two EL34’s, which are cathode self-biasing. 3 position rotary switch allows for 4, 8, & 16 ohm output. The channels are switched through one footswitch jack.

The Avenger 30
    The Avenger 30 demonstrates our new “British meets American” sound, melding the two great vintage tones we recognize as the standard for excellence! The Avenger preamp incorporates Volume, Bass, Midrange, and Treble controls and uses two 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes. The power section has a 30 watt iron core transformer with a 5AR4 rectifier tube. Two 5V4G’s are easily substituted for a rolled off attack allowing more sag. The Avenger 30 is powered by four EL84/6BQ5 power tubes with a HI/LO power option. A true by-passable Master Volume control is coupled with a Bright control for setting the overall levels. The output is 30 watts cathode self-biasing with a 4, 8, and 16 ohm impedance switch. Otherwise identical to the Avenger, the Avenger Reverb has two added 12AX7/ECC83s for the send and return circuit and an Accutronics Reverb Pan. The Reverb is a deep and lush compliment to the vintage tone of the Avenger.

rugglesgreen likes this.