Chellee PonyBoy

Frostbite Slim

Silver Supporting Member
So a little more than a month ago, I FINALLY got on the Klon(e) bandwagon. After reading MUCH info and threads posted here and there, I settled on the Chellee PonyBoy from the loooong list of options. I knew right away I wanted a small footprint and side mounted jacks which are much more accommodating for my pedal board setup. So the PonyBoy met my needs from the get go.

Knowing that the Klon excels as a clean boost, that was my main intention for the PonyBoy. While I've never heard an actual Klon in person, the PonyBoy does indeed add Girth and clarity to my Tone. I'm really enjoying how it adds Fullness to my Strat! Right now I've got it setup as Clean/Low Gain with the Gain at 9 and Volume just above unity.

For anyone (like I was) who maybe concerned about the buffer that is present in nearly all Klones, it's simply fantastic. I thought the 2 buffers on my board were enough. I have a Cornish buffer at the end of my board, and a Malekko delay (which also has a buffer) just before that. The PonyBoy really shines and the quality of it's buffer makes my signal stronger and fuller.

I did have the opportunity to compare the PonyBoy with the Rockett Archer Ikon. The buffered Bypass signal of the PB was better, and the Clean Boost (low gain) tone was WAY better than the Ikon. I had really wanted to like the Ikon, since I'd heard sooo much about it.

Also, the construction of the PonyBoy is just top notch. Peter is meticulous and his choice to go with Through-Hole components I feel makes the PB a more reliable pedal in the long run.

I'm still trying it out to see if I like it BEFORE or AFTER my TS808 pedal. We'll see...

I did take the opportunity to Rehouse my PB in a different enclosure. I'm really liking how it turned out :)

Last edited:
Wow, great idea! How hard was it to rehouse it?

I've always wanted to hear the pedal to compare it to my other KLONES, but the picture on the pedal always scared me.

And the name itself was weird.

There is definitely a heirarchy of KLONES. Some are better than others.

I ran through a whole bunch just last night, and one of the great separators of the best from the so-so is dynamics.

I would have guessed that the ones with the biggest expensive caps would be better, but not always.

Ugly Bunny

Nice! I got my PonyBoy over a year ago. It's definitely one of the better sounding klones. It's a bit more aggressive than the Mythical OD and ballsier than the Soul Food. It's got a LOT going for. Cheers!

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
So a little more than a month ago, I FINALLY got on the Klon(e) bandwagon. After reading MUCH info and threads posted here and there, I settled on the Chellee PonyBoy from the loooong list of options. I knew right away I wanted a small footprint and side mounted jacks which are much more accommodating for my pedal board setup. So the PonyBoy meet my needs from the get go.

Knowing that the Klon excels as a clean boost, that was my main intention for the PonyBoy. While I've never heard an actual Klon in person, the PonyBoy does indeed add Girth and clarity to my Tone. I'm really enjoying how it adds Fullness to my Strat! Right now I've got it setup as Clean/Low Gain with the Gain at 9 and Volume just above unity.

For anyone (like I was) who maybe concerned about the buffer that is present in nearly all Klones, it's simply fantastic. I thought the 2 buffers on my board were enough. I have a Cornish buffer at the end of my board, and a Malekko delay (which also has a buffer) just before that. The PonyBoy really shines and the quality of it's buffer makes my signal stronger and fuller.

I did have the opportunity to compare the PonyBoy with the Rockett Archer Ikon. The buffered Bypass signal of the PB was better, and the Clean Boost (low gain) tone was WAY better than the Ikon. I had really wanted to like the Ikon, since I'd heard sooo much about it.

Also, the construction of the PonyBoy is just top notch. Peter is meticulous and his choice to go with Through-Hole components I feel makes the PB a more reliable pedal in the long run.

I'm still trying it out to see if I like it BEFORE or AFTER my TS808 pedal. We'll see...

I did take the opportunity to Rehouse my PB in a different enclosure. I'm really liking how it turned out :)

Congrats! PB is one of the best klones I came across. Just set keep the Gain lower than 3pm and you'll be happy with the sound.

Last edited:
Nice! I got my PonyBoy over a year ago. It's definitely one of the better sounding klones. It's a bit more aggressive than the Mythical OD and ballsier than the Soul Food. It's got a LOT going for. Cheers!
I do notice that BAT diodes are more aggressive, since I have a MO with both BAT and 1N34 in there.

There are a lot of KLONES using the BATs since the 1N34 are hard to get. Just ask Bill.

Frostbite Slim

Silver Supporting Member
I'm finding more and more each day that I'm really blown away at how the Chellee Ponyboy excels as a clean/low gain booster! It just colors my tone perfectly and in a very musical and Muscular way. So much so in fact, that it has replaced my Landgraff Blues Box. Definitely one of the best purchases I made all year, and the best value.

I did also find that I prefer it AFTER my 808 clone. Provides a nice Volume boost when stacked .

Now that I'm aware of what all the Klon(e) hype is about, I wish I had joined the party sooner :)

Trending Topics