Chemotherapy... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by michael.e, Jun 13, 2019.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Anecdotal....
    Literal....
    Direct experience....

All thoughts are welcome and WILL BE RESPECTED BY ALL.

I have this thought in the back of my head that this can become a polarizing topic and I don't want this discussion to go in that direction. I would love to hear thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

2. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

You have my prayers, since you're dealing with a situation that requires chemo.

Zero experience with it, personally.

3. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Like many other things, it is a blessing and a curse. It is much easier on the body than it used to be, but still has side effects ranging from moderate to horrible.

Mark EL likes this.
  4. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

Not personally, but my FIL went through a round of it about 6 months ago. It seems to have put the brakes on the spread - delayed but not eliminated. He had also been doing radiation treatments before that.
    He didn't have extreme side effects, but it still wasn't fun.

Best of luck.

time2kill likes this.
  5. cogan

cogan Member

What type of cancer are you concerned about in particular? Have any particular medications been suggested yet? The side effects can vary widely depending on what is used. Historic "chemotherapy" is usually genotoxic, meaning it is designed to directly damage DNA in order to kill rapidly growing cells. This can be effective for killing a lot of cancer cells, but such treatments are not very specific since there is DNA in every cell of your body. The non specific killing of the wrong cells is generally where most of the bad side effects come from. There are many new varieties of medication for several forms of cancer which target specific proteins in cancerous cells. These drugs tend to have fewer side effects on account of their specificity.

VCuomo, Charlie48, Peteyvee and 6 others like this.
  6. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

yes, my wife was treated. It was a weekly trip to a hospital room where they hooked her up to a machine. They implanted a port, so there was no additional needles. They gave her things for nausea, though I cant say it helped all that much. She lost her hair. I would say that it did affect her memory for a long time.

It also evidently wasn’t successful because the big C has returned after 6 years. I think we may try alternatives this time around.

67blackcherry, time2kill and fretless like this.
  7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

All I can say is God speed brother. Cancer sucks and chemo is a bitch. I pray the best outcome possible for you and your situation.

Cee Flatt, jdranger and time2kill like this.
  8. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Without Chemotherapy I doubt that my Brother would have had that extra year of his life, I doubt that my Mom would have been able to get an extra few years on Earth, I am pretty sure that my Dad would have been taken from us much more quickly, and I know that my wife would have been taken from me - but I still have her.

Cancer is a killer and Chemotherapy is too - only, it might kill the cancer before it kills the patient.

9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It's a tough row to hoe. My son's mom has fought a running battle with cancer over the years and at one point had a serious chemo/radiotherapy combo. Girds your loins, 'cause you're in for a fight. It will wear you out, sap your energy, make you wish you could puke but you can't, make you s**t and wish you couldn't.

My sympathies to you having to suffer through this, and my best wishes for your full recovery.

That doesn't mean it wasn't successful. Cancer is a persistent disease and the ability to eliminate every single malignant cell is not realistic. Many, including my ex-, suffer recurrences. She was first diagnosed in 2000. Her last recurrence was in 2014. She fought that off too and is happy and healthy for now.

Be very careful trying alternatives. There's a boatload of quackery out there, because dead people don't file lawsuits.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. xStonr

xStonr Member

My wife had to go through two separate rounds of chemo. It did give her some extra time with us. I wish you only the best in your situation.

11. pbmw

pbmw Member

Man...You're in for the fight of your life.
    My daughter went through ( I hopefully say) successful Chemo/radiation therapy
    Over the statistical norm for number of treatments, but we're into the second month of remission. And I use that word with caution.
    Man Oh Man...you are in for a ride...
    You're in our prayers.
    There is an end of the tunnel
    I am convinced that having a positive group around you is very important.

12. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

So...

In 2016 I was diagnosed with a rare form of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with a mass about the size of my fist that was growing just above my heart and wrapping around my great vessels. I went through 6 rounds of R-CHOP over 18 weeks followed by 17 days of RT. R-CHOP is one of the stronger chemo regimens. Yeah, I know a thing or two about chemo. Not quite sure what your question is...but if you want to chat more - out in the open here or PM, I'm game. :)

Charlie

13. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

I work for an academic medical center’s Cancer Center, so I’m clearly influenced by that. There are a lot of success stories; many people cured or gain years of quality life. There are a lot better treatments in many areas then when I started 20+ years ago. Unfortunately, certain diseases are harder to cure than others, and not every patient has a success story.

The important thing is to speak with the physicians, ask questions, and become informed. Getting a second opinion is important, and I do think that the knowledge base at premier academic center (Dana Farber, MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Stanford (where I work), UCSF, etc.) is worth seeking out.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Talk to your oncologist. Talk to 3 or 4 of them. There are NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Care Network) in the SFO area. Those institutions are on the forefront of Cancer care.

NCCN.org

time2kill, pbmw and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I wish you nothing but the best going forward. Godspeed.

time2kill and DCross like this.
  16. johntoste

johntoste Member

My wife's slow growing follicular lymphoma morphed into an aggressive diffuse large b cell lymphoma early last year. Dana Farber in Boston coordinated her R-CHOP, which was later followed by three in-hospital rounds of methotrexate. Four PET scans say she is now in complete remission.

All we did all year was see medicos and deal with side effects at home. Nausea, hair loss, all the big hits. This year, so far it's physical therapy and gradually coming back to life. It sucked big time but the prognosis is now excellent.

Take it one step at a time and stay positive. Best of luck.

geek-mo, GGinMP, Dirty_Tones and 2 others like this.
  17. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

This x a million, best of luck.

18. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

No experience with it, but if it was for me I would research the percentages before proceeding - i.e. - if it was a cancer for which chemo was generally effective, I would do it. If it was one that chemo was less effective on, I think I would be more likely to explore more natural alternatives.

In any event, prayers and mojo sent for wisdom and recovery. I'm not local, but PM me if there is something else I can do for you.

Lution and time2kill like this.
  19. time2kill

time2kill Member

In January of this year, I was diagnosed with stage 4, small cell lung cancer. It has maestas to the brain. The doctor told me "We don't know how to cure this. You are going to die. We want you to undergo chemotherapy and radiation.

I said why would I do that if I'm going to die? He said you will live for 6 months without the treatment, maybe you'll live for another year with the treatment.

If it wasn't for my wife, I would not have taken the treatment. I realized that facing death wasn't about me. It is really about the people who love me. When I die, I will no longer be concerned with this world. But my loved ones will continue to live. What a slap in the face for my loved ones to realize that I didn't care about them enough to fight this cancer with every resource available to me.

The medical community has come a long way fighting cancer. But there is still a long way to go before they find the cure. Chemotherapy and radiation are all we have right now.

They aren't trying to save my life. They are trying to extend my time on this planet.

I've been through chemotherapy and radiation to the brain. It was a nightmare. Being very, very sick for months is no fun. But it's all I have.

I guess I'm in remission now. They didn't get all of the cancer, but the tumors have shrunk. I'm still alive and the side effects have subsided.

Only you can decide if you are going to fight this with every available method you have available to you. Don't forget about your loved ones. After you are gone, will they remember you as a strong man that didn't go down without a fight? Or will your legacy be that you were weak and just gave up?

Fight for your life. It's all you got.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    goodgulf, yakyak, Spec and 26 others like this.
  20. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Any opinion on the new Car T therapies? have you researched them?

GGinMP and time2kill like this.