Chemotherapy... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by michael.e, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I had a family member that was diagnosed with late stage 4 (CLL) Leukemia. Went through two cycles of chemo along with 20+ blood transfusions and finally drove it into remission for 18 months. Chemo nurses are the unsung heroes of this world. I've never met a group of better people- they treated not only my Dad, but my mom and me like family and made the whole experience a whole lot more comfortable and less scary than it could have been.

mrpinter likes this.
  2. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

I agree

3. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Yeah illI give you some of my thoughts. **** chemo and **** cancer.

My mom just died March 27 from stage 4 stomach cancer which had spread. She didn't find out until it was too late. So they tried chemo and the first round went fine but the second round 2 weeks later she had a heart attack and they had to revive her. It took them awhile but they brought her back. She recovered quickly and things were looking decent, if you can call it that.

The oncologist came a few days later and said that the main chemo for stomach cancer, which is called Taxotere, was the likely cause of the heart attack. She offered to continue the chemo but at a less intensive level. My mom was scared to do any more and admitted to me after the oncologist left that she she thought there was nothing left they could do for her. It breaks me to think about that moment because I knew she was right and there was no reply from me to that. I just stood there, hoping the moment would pass. It has not.

The next day the doctor came with the bad news that the tumor had perforated an she had air in her diaphragm and there was nothing they could do for her at that point so we set up hospice care at home and she passed from this plane of existence 3 weeks later.

I debate with myself many things, some about chemo and whether or not if we had caught the cancer much earlier that she would have survived it, since she was 79 at the time of her death. By that point she was so run down though. Theres no guarantee she wouldn't have had a heart attack earlier on if she had started chemo then.

Since then I have met many people in my work and I have told them what happened and so many have similar stories about family or friends. I have met a few who have beat it, or at least remission with chemo. I have met some for whom it has returned. And I have met many that have lost someone close. So there can be hope and positive results. Just not for my mom.

One more thing to add. I had a couple of experiences in the days before her passing, one while she was unconscious, and another within 24 hours after her passing that on some level the soul does transfer to another plane of existence, at least for a time. I won't go into specifics because that's something just for me and her to have shared and understand, but I can't say it gives me comfort because I miss her so much and I failed her so many times as a son.

Good wishes you in your endeavors. I met you once when you lived in Rio Del Mar in 2010 and you bought a distortion pedal from me. I lived in Seascape at the end of the street. It was that hand painted distortion pedal from Italy. You took the pedal but had to come back with the money and left it und a flower pot by the front door.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    pjs ire likes this.
  4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I've been thinking about you michael.e. What happened with your diagnosis? I was diagnosed with high-risk prostate cancer 2 1/2 years ago. I went through radiation and medication. I've been praying for you, brother. Jon.

5. michael.e

michael.e Member

Hey thank you. I appreciate that. I am in the final stages of discovery. I had my MRI today. My Surgeon is going to then confer with the other experts on what is the best trajectory for care. It will involve surgery to remove the cancer which is about 10cm up my colon and is 10cm in size. I will also have radiation and Chemo but we don't know what order yet till she/surgeon confers with the others. They have me on the fast track so I am stoked for that. This MRI will tell us how far the cancer is spread and what stage I am at.

I am going to say it again..
    I neglected to do my screenings at 50. Do it earlier if you have a history of cancer in your family. I may have saved myself a world of trouble if I had only done the screening tests that Kaiser sends me in the mail.

Don't put off this self care guys.

pjs ire, pbmw and mcuguitar like this.
  6. michael.e

michael.e Member

Ha! I remember! I appreciate your thoughts on Chemo. My mom too held off on telling any of us and it was too late for her. She went through surgeries and Chemo. It wrecked her and it gave her a bit of time too. Tough call.
    She died at 65.

My only thought at this time is to be here for my kids and wife. So I need to fight like hell.

mcuguitar likes this.
  7. jmonk99

jmonk99 Member

I was diagnosed with T 3 colorectal cancer 4 and a half yrs ago after having a golf ball sized polyp removed. Like you mine was low at 11 cm making it rectal cancer.
    Leading up to my surgery my wife would go on support sites and tell me all of the success stories really giving me courage and faith that I could survive and thrive post surgery. I had lots and lots of people praying for me.
    The surgery was a success in that the surgeon was able to do a resection and best of all no further cancer was detected! Because of this I was spared of having to go through chemo or radiation.
    Sharon Osbourne had stage 3 Colorectal cancer and given 30 % survival 16 yrs ago and she is by all accounts doing extremely well. You can too!
    God bless you and I'll pray for you.

GGinMP, pjs ire, pbmw and 1 other person like this.
  8. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

All I can add are my best wishes and hopes to all of you fighters and your loved ones. Truly inspirational.

jmonk99 and pbmw like this.
  9. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing this and the absolute best of luck to you.

10. fruknobulax

fruknobulax Silver Supporting Member

I'm a firm believer in alternative treatments but I've had cancer twice and have managed to beat it so far. My advice is to get the best doctors available, do what they say and keep a positive mindset. Just keep on believing that you will be fine, do not allow yourself to think negative thoughts even when times get tough. Best of luck... based on your description it seems like you have a pretty good chance of long term survival.

jmonk99 likes this.
  11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Still praying for you, OP, and others in this thread.

A lot of people on this forum have beaten cancer, which is great.

jmonk99 likes this.
  12. Goico

Goico Member

I have had both radiation and chemo, Here is my advice, Eat as much as you can. Eat like you are training for the fight of your life.
    Debilitating weakness and neuropathy(Tingling of the fingers and toes) are what I remember most. The neuropathy was especially frustrating because it interfered with my guitar playing, it passed after a while. Forcing myself to eat got me over the hump quicker than normal.
    You might loose your sense of taste and craving for food but you can not be deterred. Nothing will seem palatable, so naturally you wont want to eat, your body starts to waken and it becomes a vicious circle. It doesn't matter what you eat, just eat. As soon as you are able, start going for short walks and do some light exercise when and where you can. That said, the most important thing of all is attitude. You will get through this.
    God will not abandon you.

GGinMP and pjs ire like this.
  13. michael.e

michael.e Member

Hey all, thanks so much for the encouraging and real thoughts. Turns out I have stage 3 cancer. I am stoked on my doctor and the crew that she has around her. What is really cool, is that my case now, after all the info gleaned, goes to a committee of doctors to review. Much like getting a second and third opinion. I did not know they did that. Radiation first, then surgery then chemo. I am going to opt for chemo. I have to be honest that there are many that are in life situations much worse than mine who get abandoned. I am not special in that arena. It is up to me and my family to work on that part. If my time to leave this meat sack is short, it is what it is. I will fight like hell to preserve my life on this planet. I have a young autistic son [and an older autistic son] that needs me to be there. I am his daily caregiver and I have much work to do to help secure his safety in this future. Meanwhile, my doc says to do what I normally do in moderation and listen to my body when it needs to rest. Celebrating his birthday today with one of his favorite things. Trains. Felton steam train ride.
    [​IMG]

14. michael.e

michael.e Member

Those who have had colo-rectal surgery... How long was the healing process? How long did you have to wear the colostomy bag? Of course, I will not be able to surf or get crazy jumping off of drum risers for a bit of time, but I don't know how long the healing process of the rectum can be.

15. michael.e

michael.e Member

I need to be around to help develop this front man!

16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

First of all, I hope you're doing okay.

As for chemo, I have a feeling we'll look back on it a long time from now and wonder why we ever did that to people. Personally, I would seek alternative ways of treating cancer but I'm not a doctor so what do I know.

17. michael.e

michael.e Member

I totally hear you on that. I wish of course we could understand beyond. I am digging to the best of my abilities to see beyond. Be it drugs or mind.

shredtrash likes this.
  18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

ME,

Thanks for sharing. I wish you nothing but the best and will be praying for you and your family.

Quick question, was this found through a normal Dr visit or did you have something prompt you that made this discovery?

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I’d never criticize one’s choice for one’s self, but I disagree with projecting one’s own view about someone else’s choices in such a critical, denigrating way.

Each person is entitled to his own decision, and to have it respected.

Good luck with continued healing.

Paleolith54 likes this.
  20. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Yes you do!