Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, May 13, 2019.

1. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Not surprising if true. Usually drummers are the most talented, smartest, and most creative members of any band. ;)

2. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

“Bewar-ah dee ides-ah of-ah March-ah!”... no thanks.

I’m watching “A Bridge Too Far” on TCM right now - the Dutch speak Dutch, the Germans speak German, with English subtitles. Perfect.

nsureit, dani_boy79 and NamaEnsou like this.
  3. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

AKA, "filmmaking."

A-Bone likes this.
  4. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

Fukushima - Chernobyl 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

I actually hope not. It was perfect. Leave it be.

5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

On the other hand, there is a whole genre of films about life in Ancient (and mythic) Rome with the actors speaking Italian, which isn't any more historically accurate than having them speak English.

Spooky Action and JWDubois like this.
  6. Clarry

Clarry Member

We can't help being excellent actors.

Spooky Action, JimmyB, A-Bone and 2 others like this.
  7. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Craig was an active member of rec.music.makers.percussion when newsgroups were the rage.

Redub likes this.
  8. nsureit

nsureit Old Guy...but not too old Silver Supporting Member

I’d say around 30% of Americans would side with your wife in rejecting nuclear energy. In addition to nuclear, there are wind and solar alternatives.

As for the TV series, it was very entertaining.

9. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I'm not gonna read this thread for now, but it's for a good reason: I'm still on E4 and want to avoid spoilers.

Anyway, I'm going the old TPG way - which means posting without reading the thread - because if this video hasn't been posted yet, I found it very interesting and think that some of you guys might like it:

10. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

What odds can I get on the Russian version having a young Putin stripped to the waist and throwing graphite off the roof with his bare hands?

11. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I just found out recently that Putin is just a little tiny guy like Tom Cruise. I had no idea.

Jayyj likes this.
  12. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

After showing up on a glorious steed

ChorusCrackpot, roadfilm and Jayyj like this.
  13. soli528

soli528 Member

This is neither here nor there, but it reminded me of my daughter asking me to explain a knock knock joke to her recently. I said, go ahead, hit me.

Knock knock...
    Who's there?
    Dishes...
    Dishes who?
    Dishes Sean Connery.

I was laughing with tears, while she was looking at me like, WTF?

14. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

:spit

15. chunky48

chunky48 Member

Watched the first episode last night. One long sustained yikes. I guess historically there must be a point at which the rate of things going from bad to worse starts to slow down.

16. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

What a fantastic show, wow! On the fourth episode now, hard to watch but so we’ll done. I did not realize the gravity of what they were facing, phew!

They will win every award there is for this, as they should. Just excellent all the way around.

As far as the accents, whatever, I’m in it for the story so I could care less.

sahhas and Santa666 like this.
  17. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I was in high school when 9/11 happened. I learned of it in the hallway from my soccer coach.
    He seemed pretty broken up by it so I asked if we were still having practice that night

18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I was a high school student, too. One of the teachers of my World Civilizations course was a man who had known Alexander Kerensky, so the course was particularly concerned with the Soviet Union. As I recall, we spent a class just talking about the accident and what it might mean -- and, even in California, managed to become slightly concerned about the radiation.

sahhas and Redub like this.
  19. MapleLeaf-Trem

MapleLeaf-Trem Member

Wait until the Russians make their version of the show, it will depict sabotage by the CIA.

I would prefer to hear a Slavic accent in their English.

ChorusCrackpot and sahhas like this.
  20. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I don't want to tell about what is my job, but I can tell you that I work with people like that and see attitudes like that on a daily basis. I keep telling our apprentices and everybody else I know that if civil aviation were performed by the people I'm talking about, there would be a couple major crashes every week -- or maybe every day?

Fortunately (for the potential victims) my field has become very safe, as there are many redundant safety and rescue mechanisms that prove themselves to be quite efficient when it comes to avoid or attenuate significantly -- at least to an extent where it's possible to allege that it was just a case of bad luck, or to blame something else, having others helping to cover the truth -- the consequences of irresponsible actions that explicitly violate several safety norms.

I'm quoting myself here just to say what a fortunate coincidence it was to watch that YT video just a few hours before watching the court scene in E5. I knew nothing about nuclear power plants until then, and (after watching it again, and very slowly at the second time) the speaker was really able to make me understand how the reactor worked and why it exploded.

I strongly recommend that you watch the video right before E5, if you haven't arrived there yet - and also for those who wish they had understand better the explanation depicted in the show.

NamaEnsou likes this.