Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, May 13, 2019.

1. ethandt

ethandt Member

Chernobyl and Shawshank, the two greatest pieces of entertainment of all time.

A-Bone likes this.
  2. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

So “instagram influencers” have flocked to the site and are posting pictures all over social media. Gettin cancer for likes.

3. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I caught a few minutes of some "adventurer" types exploring the area covertly, most likely going for youtube views, years before the show was conceived. I could not believe anyone would put themselves at risk like that. My understanding is that radiation gear is no longer required (if that is to be trusted), but it's still not safe to touch anything.
    This latest trend of visiting there to post selfies, etc., is just dumb IMO. A series writer came out today and asked everyone to at least show some respect as they contemplate what types of photos to take and post.

ChorusCrackpot and mdrake34 like this.
  4. MuleHead

MuleHead Supporting Member

Frontline is absolutely the best - no bs...just facts.

5. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I'm a huge fan.
    I'

6. DM426

DM426 Silver Supporting Member

Beyond reiterating that the show is really well done, I have to add a point about the excellence of the special effects.

Special effects might not be the first thing which comes to mind when discussing HBO’s Chernobyl, but that’s kind of my point. The special effects are so well done that you don’t even realize that they’re there. They just seamlessly blend into the story and never distract from what’s going on.

Which is not to say they’re low key or that there’s only a few of them. Quite the contrary, huge portions of the show are done with very elaborate backdrops in and around reactor number 4 and its surrounding area. And every one of these scenes is absolutely convincing! And I say that as someone who has had a longtime interest in Chernobyl and is somewhat familiar with it.

The characters are constantly moving in and out of big set piece locations, and at no point does it seem like they’re on a movie set.

That’s great special effects, ladies and gentlemen. I really must applaud both the cinematographers and the special effects team, and the obvious effort that was put into coordinating them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Absolute muppets.

8. DM426

DM426 Silver Supporting Member

Chernobyl has been a significant draw for tourists for some time, so nothing really new there.

By the way, if you need something to watch on a dark Friday night, check out Chernobyl Diaries. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it does capture some memorably creepy moments.

And if you're into gaming and are one of the few gamers unfamiliar with it, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and its sequels are an absolute must. Definitely on my list of best PC games ever.

Markdude likes this.
  9. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

It's not Chernobyl, but Pripyat that is the big dark tourism draw now.

10. pokey

pokey Member

11. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Some version of COD had Chernobyl as the setting. It had that playground steel sphere and ravenous dogs attacking you. I’m not a big gamer, but did the early WWII COD for a bit.

12. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

we just finished the 3rd episode of Chernobyl, wow that was a gut wrenching episode to watch. just horrible the scenes in the hospital.
    good show, very eye-opening.
    the music is very good!

chunky48 and 67blackcherry like this.
  14. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

My wife decided to watch it and I couldn't resist going throgh it again.

Also, quite like the first time I watched the show, right before E5 I watched that YT video I've shared here, which explains in details how a RBMK reactor works and how it came to explode.

15. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

we finished it Sat night, wow it's a good series.
    sad.

crambone and 67blackcherry like this.
  16. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Recently I saw a documentary about the large shed that was built to contain Reactor Number 4 at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. They fitted two robotic cranes to disassemble the broken bits of the reactor for disposal.

Why can't they just use a chain-gang of pedophiles to do the cleanup?

sahhas and Dirty_Tones like this.
  17. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Because that would be mean.
    Of course, they don’t really care about such things like “being mean” in Russia....

NorCal_Val likes this.
  18. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

btw...one thing about watching the show, and we watched it w/ our 18 yo who will be heading to college this fall, was seeing the old tech of 1986: no cell phones, card catalogs in the library, etc...that was sort of funny to see, the world has certainly changed!

67blackcherry likes this.
  19. Digidog

Digidog Member

As I live in Sweden, I lived right where the first cloud of particles blew in.

My junior high year were all out on "workplace education" - meaning we did easy apprentice work at real working places - and one of my friends did his apprenticeship at the Forsmark nuclear power plant, where they first detected raised levels of radioactivity. Because the particles found were those emanating from reactor leakages, they locked the whole plant down and nobody was allowed to leave the premises until they had established where the particles came from, and decontaminated everyone. My friend couldn't come home for two whole days and since he called me to say he wasn't coming home, and why, I was really nervous for a couple of days.

That autumn of -86 (in late October) the authorities sent out measurment buses, to which we who lived where the particle cloud drew in could take our garden harvests or forest pickings of berrys and mushrooms for radioactivity testing. My dad brought home grown potatoes and gooseberries, forest picked blueberries and chanterelles - and being clever he brought picks from both 1984 and 1986, for reference.

It turned out that the levels of radioactivity from the 1986 pickings were quite high, and we were recommended not to eat mushrooms and ground growing berries (bush grown had almost no raised levels). BUT: The pickings from the fall of 1984 had all of them fairly high, and in the long term not healthy, levels of radiation and the mushrooms were in the limits of what was sound to eat.

A closer look at the isotopes in the 1984 samples showed that that radioactivity mostly came from Soviet nuclear weapons tests in the Novaja Semlja in the 1960's, but with a significant part from older U.S.A tests, probably from those made in the Los Alamos.

Nuclear weapons and nuclear power are to me very telling symptoms of human madness and inability of process management.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    chunky48 and sahhas like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

There are no pedos in Russia. That would be a sign of a degenerate society.

sahhas likes this.