Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, May 13, 2019.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I think the parents of Andrei Chikatilo’s victims would strongly disagree with this statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

NamaEnsou likes this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

tiktok likes this.
  3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I thought they filmed a lot of it at the sister reaction location in Lithuania?

chrisjw5 likes this.
  4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I am not talking about Russia or the Ukraine exclusively. I just offhandedly suggested that the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant become a work camp for convicted pedophiles sourced from all over the world. They can clean up Reactor Number 4 at the full risk of radioactive contamination & death, as part of their punishment. If they are on death row, then that's taken care of.

They've already put the shed over the reactor, so there's the secure containment for them.

5. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

After having watched the series I found this to be an interesting video to follow up with.

crambone likes this.
  6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I just binged this show during the weekend at Disney with the family. We got rained-out on Friday and with the kiddos in bed at the hotel around 9PM I was able to watch all of them except for the last episode which I finished when we got back home yesterday afternoon.

I really liked it but my biggest complaint was the "for the sake of the party/country" and "watch out for the KGB" type of stuff. I realize that sort of things happened during those times but it felt like they really laid it on thick for dramatic purposes.

7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

They laid it on thick because that was the primary motivating factor for basically everyone in that society. That's why thousands signed up for potential death, for the party.

8. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

Much more enjoyable than I'd expected it to be and I'll probably end up watching it again.

I know what you're saying about them laying it on thick, but probably the way that it differed from reality is that they would have simply known the inherent dangers and not felt comfortable even talking about it with others. KGB being able to 'disappear' people was definitely a thing.

9. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

The only ones that didn't fear the Russian government were the coal miners (and apparently the Russian government had a healthy fear of them). But they still signed up to do the job because it needed to be done.

10. crambone

I guess it's such a foreign concept to me, valuing a government over my own life or job. Maybe that's why I thought it was laid-on thick.

11. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I don't know if you've read through the entire thread, but I posted, or at least referenced, a twitter thread by a Russian describing the accuracy of basically every part of the show, not only clothes, haircuts, furnishings, etc . . . but the attitudes of the people towards the party. It is a pretty alien concept to most of us.

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Well directed, well acted, bleak as hell. The actor who played the mining supervisor was a standout mini supporting role.

13. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Concur - I think we will be watching it again, we really did enjoy it.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  14. crambone

I did the first page or so and then skipped to the end so if you can re-link it I would appreciate it very much. If not, I will hunt for it later today.

15. crambone

A very memorable performance indeed.

buddaman71 likes this.
  16. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I watched it again when my wife finaly decided to give it a chance -- BTW, she enjoyed it a lot.

17. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Starts here. It's a multi-tweet thread.

crambone likes this.
  18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Lay off the poltiical posts guys. This one's on thin ice as it is.

19. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

You're missing the point, they're getting LIKES!

Man you are so out of touch with what's important to the people of today...

;)

As posted before, great series; I'm sure I'll watch it again. I thought all aspects were really well done and yes the special effects were amazing; honestly I don't know how they pulled ANY of this off!

20. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the series, the acting was tremendous. I turned away a few times with some of the gore, but I'm a big boy, and you cannot convey a story like this without making people a little uncomfortable. The motivations of the various characters was so compelling. I also think the pay off with the last episode was satisfying, and felt complete.

NamaEnsou likes this.