Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, May 13, 2019.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yup, it's a good series so far and a chilling portrayal. Their interpretation seems to be candid and unblinking, but when you see fit, I'd also like to hear what you were told by your friend.

Scary things at times, those atoms.

2. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

[​IMG]

I'm enjoying it so far. I've always been super intrigued by anything to do with nuclear energy and radiation. Pretty damn scary, especially that without some kind of detection device, you don't even know it's there.

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I think it's begun really good through episode 3.

No doubt the Soviet Union would have buried it if they could, but the politicians seem to have responded pretty quickly and decisively once they got accurate information.

I find myself wondering how well the US government would respond to the same situation. TMI was nothing in comparison.

4. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

One of the more, if not must inhumane medical treatments in our time. imo.

The show is good, the dialogue is a bit spotty at times and as previously mentioned the color grade/filter drives me up the wall.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

CC Overdrive and 67blackcherry like this.
  6. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

This is a great thread (too many tweets to post here) about how accurate the show is in its depiction of Soviet Russian culture, the government, state run media, and even the minute details like clothes, hairstyles, furnishings, etc . . .

seajay and Redub like this.
  7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

8. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Yeah I’m going to advise my wife to skip this one.

9. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Mine hasn’t watched the show yet but tonight said she wants to start it and catch up before the finale. I don’t know if I can let her watch that one.

10. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I joke sometimes that my wife loves dogs more than me. As such, I can’t see her making it through this episode.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  11. germanicus

germanicus Member

That one shot was a tough one.

mdrake34 likes this.
  12. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Which one? I must have not been in the right mood as I felt this episode wasn't really fitting with the pace of the rest of the show so far. RIP to the dead with the boot shoveling graphite.

13. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I had nightmares about episode one, my wife won't watch anymore. Probably watch 2 and 3 this week. I remember it fairly well and also Three Mile Island and Fukishima scared the hell out of me at the time. There is a LOT of politics tied up in these events as well that we probably can't discuss.

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Ya...but aren't they...actors?

The British accent thing is out of control in movies these days, IMO. I notice that far more than the amber coloring or whatever that was earlier in the thread.

Still a great show though...looking forward to the last episode.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

You mean British actors being cast in films is out of control? In terms of Chernobyl, the cast is predominately British, and they seem largely to be using their speaking voices.

16. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

Why would the actors speak English with Russian accents? How is that more authentic?

If it’s authenticity you’re after, they should be speaking Russian, with English subtitles. Even then, if the English speaking audience is any barometer, there’d be some complaints that the accents aren’t right for that part of Ukraine (right, Boston?).

Zeegler likes this.
  17. smallbutmighty

No, I just mean the use of the British accent. I don't often know or care what country the actors are from. But in this example, it's about as Soviet a story as you can get. Hearing the wrong accent takes me out of the story....enough to comment on it here. I find it as distracting as, say, hearing a Chinese accent in a Western. (Jackie Chan movies aside.)

They are actors, after all. Shouldn't they at least attempt the correct accent? I mean, if Kevin Costner can do it....

NamaEnsou and Drew816 like this.
  18. smallbutmighty

It's not about being authentic. It's about setting the right mood. Sort of like making sure all the props are period correct.

The sound of the language is a big deal. Imagine a movie where Hitler gives an impassioned speech....in French. It doesn't create the same vibe...at least to me.

el capitan, NamaEnsou and A-Bone like this.
  19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Costner is more of a cautionary tale than anything. The actors are already speaking in English. How is it less spell breaking if they do so with feigned Russian or Ukrainian accents? And the accents might get in the way of the performances in that this is another level of portrayal the actors would need to be conscious of.

chrisjw5 and Redub like this.
  20. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

Strokes for folks. Imo, it does nothing for the mood to hear actors doing a cartoonish “Boris” accent, and there’s always going to be that one actor who goes overboard, to the point of being hard to decipher.

Zeegler likes this.