Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, May 13, 2019.

1. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Lumping these together makes it clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

2. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

I'd say nuclear wins for both.
    How many people died directly because of Chernobyl and Fukushima? None in Japan, and ~50 or so in Chernobyl, some due to the explosion and some from immediate radiation. Even if you accept the very debatable number of 4000 for long term, that's a single bad year for coal mining alone.
    As far as environmental impact: How many oil spills, pipeline breaks, refinery fires, have we had in the last 40 years? How about air pollution from burning coal, oil, and gas? BTW, burning coal puts more radioactive material into the atmosphere than any nuke plant, not to mention stable toxins like lead and mercury (which don't decay over time).

I'll take nukes over coal and oil any day.

Disclosure: I work in nuclear power, in Radiation Safety. So on one hand I have a vested interest. On the other, I'm very aware of the related hazards.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Wolfboy1, Jp2558, gwayne and 3 others like this.
  3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Incredible mini-series. HBO will be fine post-GOT.

Wolfboy1 and Jayyj like this.
  4. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I agree with you operationally, and also think nuclear is cleaner even with the disposal challenges. Too much NIMBY which I believe could be overcome. It's unfortunate IMO that the public still fears it so much in the US.
    Non-operationally, it's a convoluted math problem in my mind. As "bad" as fossil fuels are, their use has saved or extended many more lives than harmed.
    Currently, a lot of kids I know mistakenly believe we could easily shut down all fossil fuels use and immediately replace with alternatives. I don't think the average person understands just how much energy is still generated by fossil fuels. Last year, the US electric grid production alone (no cars, trucks, planes, etc) was over 60% fossil fuel powered. That mix of fuel types will change over time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Wolfboy1 and Paleolith54 like this.
  5. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

IMDb ratings. Oy.

7. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Yeah that Variety headline had me going "huh?" even though I really liked the series.
    How long have IMDb ratings for TV shows been around, and what % of the population do they capture vs Nielsen historically? I know IMDb overall launched in the early 90's, but unsure about TV ratings.

A-Bone likes this.
  8. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

It is a very very famous bit of misinfo that these three men died miserable deaths soon after they opened the sluice gates. I have read two books on the topic and understood they were dead myself. I did not know it was postscript on the tv show until this morning when I finally watched the last two episodes. I am glad they included that bit of info.

9. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

After my wife and I had watched the final episode, I asked her what she thought of nuclear power, noting that Chernobyl demonstrated many Soviet-specific root causes: RBMK reactor design, caustic operational culture and a very flexible relationship with the truth. She was still vehemently opposed to nuclear in any form.

I'm not opposed to nuclear - I think it is a miracle of modern science, and that it is the best chance we have of battling global warming - but I think the average member of the public will probably side with my wife.

Anyway, a great TV show. The best I have seen in years. But probably won't be good marketing for the nuclear industry.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  10. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Coincidentally, they shut down and began the years long decommissioning process of my local nuclear plant last week.

RickC likes this.
  11. DM426

DM426 Silver Supporting Member

It's a really well done series with terrific actors and I’m loving it. That said, everyone should be aware that there are a lot of things that were done to give the audience visual cues to help them understand what's going on, not to mention to increase the drama.

In truth, a great percentage of HBO's version of the events at Chernobyl is just completely made up and the equivalent of a Godzilla movie. It's super interesting, but not realistic at all.

Forbes: Why 'Chernobyl' Get Nuclear So Wrong

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  12. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

It's the thought of a third season that's got me worried

:eek:

taildragger and wopr like this.
  14. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

15. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

16. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

It's always been out of control. No Italian accents in movies about Romans...heck no, they were all British apparently.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  17. etepbbb

etepbbb Member

I can't wait for the "truth" from the Russian version.

18. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

That's always something I look forward to when a movie is based on real events. Kind of helps cement the fact that there were actual people and not just scriptwriters.

19. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

The writer and producer is a drummer. How about that?