Chet Atkins SST et al

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by giventofly, Sep 18, 2006.

1. giventofly

giventofly Member

Ok lemme start out by saying I'm a huge Dave fan BUT thats not the reason I'm looking at this guitar (i do like his sound though.)

I'm looking for a decent acoustic/electric b/t $1k-$1400 that I can use to play solo open mic nights/small gigs, and I've been checking out some of the SSTs. I am also looking at a Taylor 314CE.

Does anyone have experiences with the SST? I'm looking for a good versatile guitar with nice low end and a good percussive sound and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

2. Barron Wesley

Barron Wesley Member

I am a big Dave fan and thats why I bought one (sst) some time back. I quickly sold it though. It didn't have that authentic quality 'acoustic' sound. I would suggest getting a martin or something. I would also suggest getting a different amp to play through. Specifically an acoustic amp. The difference will be so clear to you and others. If you do your finances right, you can get a real nice acoustic guitar and portable acoustic amp within your price range. I have a nice Martin D-16R that I picked up for around $1100 (brand new, but displayed in store) Hence the small discount. This guitar is a real sleeper. You have to play one if you uhavent already. Has great tone, bass, and feel. It feels and sounds better than the D-42 I had. Go figure that one out! I dropped a b-band UST pickup in the saddle and wow! I can't say enough about this guitar. Projects really well too. Great if you are a solo act or the only guitar.
    I also bought a Fishman loudbox (blem) 250 watt acoustic amp from musiciansfriend or somewhere for $253. They might have more. I couldn't find a blem by the way. It's a great amp, I promise. Anyway, this amp with my Martin D-16R is wonderful.
    All this ran me about $1400
    Hope this helped

3. MMiller

MMiller Member

Take a look at the Turner RS-6 or an Anderson Crowster if your looking at a SST. I've owned all three. All do the acoustic/electric thing very well but the Turner and Anderson had a much more natural acoustic sound. The Turner and Anderson were close but the RS6 ended up being my favorite...so, thats the one I kept.

4. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I had an SST about 9 years ago, as you a DMB fan. It was a huge waste of gear money, imho. I bought a Crate acoustic amp and it took a lot of time to dial out the piezo honk from that guitar, you really have to EQ the sh$t out of the mids. It served Dave well onstage, but I'm sure in the studio he used a real acoustic. The SST is easy to play (imagine a Les Paul neck, body comfort), but it's tone was unnatural imho.

5. p.snail

p.snail Member

I thought Dave played Taylor and Martins now. I haven't seen him play an SST in a while. I had an SST and it was a glorious piece of sh1t. If you're looking at either the SST or the Taylor it would be an easy decision for me. The Taylor hands down. Much more natural sounding even electrified. Some people on here don't care for the Taylor electronics, but I think they are fantastic. Great reproduction of what the guitar sounds like acoustically. Just my opinion though. You won't know for sure till you try them out. Good Luck:AOK

6. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Turner/Renaissance, if you don't want to hassle with feedback issues, etc. Turner/Renaissance with a DTAR Mama Bear pre-amp and you will be able to get any acoustic sound you want, at any volume level with no problems. A very elegant and road-worthy solution.

Clem

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

How about one of these:

[​IMG]

$1249 w/ gig bag here.

I played an SST and was not all that impressed. I did like a Godin I played at a store, though.

8. giventofly

giventofly Member

yeah dave uses mostly taylors/martin/larivee today but the SST was his guitar for the early stuff (under the table..., crash) I think one of the few reasons i was checking it out was b/c you can find them for 7-800 bucks used and in good condition, but it seems that the acoustic/electric market is much broader than i thought. thanks for all the suggestions!

9. suttree

suttree Member

alvarez dy-88.

used for around the same price, used notably by warren haynes. great acoustic plugged in sound, same solid body/no feedback, great necks, too IMHO. the SST's aren't great.

10. giventofly

giventofly Member

looking for a used one. they loook pretty cool and alvarez makes some pretty good stuff. missed one on ebay that went for under $500:jo. if anyone wants to sell one lemme know!

11. Antz_Marchin

Antz_Marchin Member

Dave uses zero Larrivees. 3 Models of Taylor (914c - main axe, 714 - only for 2-3 "raised B tunes", W65 - Grey Street, Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, JTR) and 2 Martins for his Solo album stuff and Dave/Tim shows (HD-28v, DM3MD signature model). Also a Jerry Jones Baritone for some Everyday album stuff and a couple new tunes as well as a new Veilette Gryphon 12 string for a couple new tunes.

12. Barron Wesley

Barron Wesley Member

don't forget the Lakewoods every once and a while when doing solo special performances.:)

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

He used the SSTs live, but I garantee he was not playing them in the studio for these albums.

14. Antz_Marchin

Antz_Marchin Member

^Yes he was.....^^Lakewood doesn't come out anymore really.