Chevy Suburban vs. GMC Yukon XL

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BluesMan75, Apr 12, 2015.

1. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

We are looking to get a large SUV. We already have a 4Runner as our SUV but living in Colorado with two young kids (maybe more in the future) and hauling gear etc, we have found that the new 4Runner just doesn't have the capacity.

Anyone have one and can comment? I am really impressed with the Suburban after seeming it today at the auto show, but still fear that I would get sick of driving such a huge beast when it is just me commuting to and from work obligations. We also looked at the Escalade which was really nice but I'm not a "bling" guy.

I read some older posts about the comparisons, and it seems like for the money and gas mileage between the Suburban and the Yukon XL, the Suburban looks like the wise choice. Part of me thinks may be get a BMW 2 series convertible for the days when weather is good and I don't have to haul around anyone but myself...first world problems I know.

2. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Suburbans and Yukon XL's are the same vehicle, just different grills. The GMC tends to have more "bling" (the Denali trim) but the Chevy's are still very nice.

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Ding ding ding

4. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I bought a Yukon. Happy with it.

5. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Just got a 2015 Tahoe.
    Had last vehicle for 17.5 years.
    Tgis thing is awesome!
    I preferred it over the look of the Yukon in 2015.
    But every year for last 15 the yukon gets my vote.

6. astainback

astainback Member

gmc usually keeps more resale value.. and also costs a little more.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Stunned that a 4Runner is deemed not big enough.......

Considering how much it has grown.

I just think about all the places (trailheads, urban parking spots, etc.) where a Suburban or Yukon XL simply doesn't fit. Yesterday's walk on the AT would've been a no-go as the only remaining spot could only handle just so much vehicle; and the same thing parking to go to Great Falls and walking in on Friday.

8. m1911

m1911 Member

I like Suburbans and Yukons.....but did you look at a Toyota Land-Cruiser?

9. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

One thing I noticed was on 2WD versions, Chevy had Limited Slip as an option, GMC standard. Seemed to be the way if you look thru all the small stuff there are some differences...Had an '02 and '07 never got tired of driving the tank just tired of filling it up with gas!

10. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Had a Suburban for 8 years. Liked it, but it was a gas hog and the size got old. Also, for such a huge vehicle it doesn't have as much interior space as you would think.
    Switched to an Odyssey minivan. Once I was able to put my ego aside, I LOVE the thing. Huge interior space, drives and parks like a car. The new Siennas are AWD and get 20-28mpg.

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

If size is an issue, then perhaps you might consider the Tahoe, it's about 18in shorter than the 'Burb.
    I'am on my second Suburban, and love them,, not for hauling people, but
    in my work, the ability to carry full 8ft sheets of plywood, enclosed, and out of the rain/weather is/was mandatory.
    In the old days, the joke was that a GMC was just a Chevy built with lockwashers.
    Whichever you decide, spring for the 4wd, it will always return the extra cost upon resale.

12. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

13. markie

markie Member

Yukon guy here. Had 2 of them over a 19 years period. Bought a Tahoe last summer & wish I had my old Yukon back!

14. GasMask

GasMask Member

I just picked up my third Suburban, and did a detailed comparison with the GMC beforehand. While it's true that that are basically the same vehicle, there are some differences- especially when it come to configurations and options pricing. There are some aesthetic differences too. The Chevy offers the Z71 (offroad) package, which may or may not interest you. The GMC does not. There are some options available with the Chevy specifically too. Color options are very similar, but not completely the same. The GMC offers 2 basic trim levels, while the Chevy offers 3. Depending on what specific options you need, one or the other may be the most economical route. Choosing based on quality is nonsense. It's all about what specific options and features you want, and aesthetics. The headlights on the GMC look goofy to me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. Omega

Omega Member

The Suburban and the Yukon XL (and the Escalade ESV, for that matter) are the same basic vehicle structurally, with different layers of mechanical and cosmetic differences. Depending on the feature, there may be some overlap, or possibly not available on that vehicle or trim level. The higher the trim level, the closer to the next brand up you get from Chevy to GMC to Cadillac with features, but even then there will be some design differences that will not be able to be replicated.

For instance the Denali level Yukon XL is virutally identical to the Escalade ESV but without the price tag. There are some minor cosmetic differences but they share the same 6.3L engine which isn't available standard on the Suburban, to my knowledge - could be wrong.

Good luck with your choice, great vehicles and very fun to drive. If you can, continue to consider the Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV vs the shorter versions (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade). As someone told me, the short versions can haul people OR their stuff while the long versions can haul people AND their stuff.

16. JMC

JMC Member

Been consider a full size truck/SUV myself. Sticker shock has been incredible... Tahoe's online new topping $70K! WTF. Nicely appointed truck is $50K

And don't even mention the Escalade... let's tag on an extra $10-20K for the Cadillac logo...

Insane prices.

17. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

The suburban still has the locking rear differential while the others don't offer that as an option anymore. If you don't already know you need it though then that's probably not a big deal.