Chewing gum to get rid of earworms

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by echos, May 6, 2015.

1. echos

echos Member

No, not actual worms in your ear, the horrible songs that get stuck in your head that you cannot get rid of. Now if they can find a way to get rid of visual worms.

http://www.merckmedicus.com/medical...y&utm_content=178410&utm_term=automated_daily

Sorry. Here is the article
    Chewing gum may help get rid of catchy tunes

This form of sub-vocalisation moderates short-term memory performance and auditory images.
    Everyone has experienced them and sooner or later wants to get rid of the annoying tunes: earworms. British researchers believe they have found a simple, but effective way, to get rid of these annoying melodies. According to their study, which was published in "The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology", gum-chewing could be an effective counter-strategy.

Irrelevant sub-vocalisation has proven to lessen short-term memory performance and auditory images. Scientists at the University of Reading considered gum-chewing to be a similar type of sub-vocalisation and therefore tested its effect in three different experiments with volunteers.

They studied the effects of chewing on the conscious appearance of musical images, as well as their recurrence after attempts to suppress them had ended. In both scenarios, gum-chewing reduced the number of times the melody had been consciously remembered.

Another experiment showed that the actual 'hearing' of the melody in the brain was also reduced by gum-chewing. The third trial proved that the sub-vocal action of chewing was better able to moderate the appearance of a catchy tune than a motor activity, such as tapping a new rhythm with one's fingers.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I'd like to see your Trident get rid of this:

3. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

You have to create an account to read it. If chewing gum is all it takes, man, I'm packing gum the next time I play golf. Nothing quite like being stuff on the course for hours with one damned song echoing in your head. In fact, I purposely do not listen to the radio on the way to course.

To rid of a nagging song, I'll usually just sing some old-timey ballad and that helps clear it up.
    Of course, if anyone should be standing near me, then THEY get the ear worm of the song I was just singing.

4. echos

echos Member

Sorry. I added the article to the OP