Chicago Bulls Fire Winningest NBA Coach in Last 5 Years

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DonW, May 28, 2015.

1. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

2. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

3. vicjoy1945

vicjoy1945 Member

Met Thibs a handful of times...really great guy. Same goes for Ron Adams who was their assistant coach until he was fired a couple years ago.

4. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Yeah, they were never gonna win it all with him.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. Winningest regular season coach means nothing. Titles is all that matters. And this team will never win the East with Tibs. Now he goes to New Orleans.

6. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

They were doing so well before he got there? What could've been if Rose wasn't hurt so much. Surprised they got as far as they did into the playoffs mainly without Rose or a real superstar on those teams. Had to result to physical play and defense for the most part.

Not sure who would be a good replacement at this point. Mark Jackson/Mike Malone or VanGundy?

7. mge80

mge80 Member

Yep. Now winning isn't even enough. You have to "win it all". What a joke. Typical of everything that is wrong with sports. And sports fans.

It doesn't even matter how you do it, as long as you "win it all". Good luck with that. I wonder who "we'll" hire next?:rolleyes:

DonW likes this.
  8. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

Cavaliers just showed them the real problem, inconsistent talent on the court.

DonW likes this.
  9. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I watched the Bulls all season long. They were very inconsistent. I don't think it was a coaching problem. Some of these guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on a night-to-night basis.

DonW likes this.
  10. dillingerescaped

dillingerescaped Member

same as John Fox and Harbaugh

11. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Might be a good fit for Knicks.

12. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

and Mark Jackson.

13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

There never going to win it all with their current roster. I thought he did a pretty good job the last 5 years. I can't think of another coach in the NBA who has done so well recently with the franchise player always hurt. I guess people can point to Thibs for all the injuries. I'm not sure who they will get that will do a better job and if Rose is hurt it won't even matter.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

The winningest coach in the last five years is Erik Spoelstra, with two. Three others are tied for second, with one each. Everyone else, none.

I have mixed feelings about this. But in any field, employers are going to take many factors into account, not simply someone's numbers or track record.

I was similarly surprised and against the firing of Mark Jackson. He had done very well, better than any Golden State coach in a long time. But now the Warriors are going to the finals. It's hard to argue with those results, whether or not results are the only criteria. Maybe they would also be there with Mark Jackson. We'll never know, even if Jackson gets another head coaching job and wins the title somewhere.

Sports is by nature competitive. I don't have a problem with a team setting winning the championship as it's goal, and sooner or later not accepting anything less. The Bulls have been in contention long enough, and as a team moves up in contention, the bar gets raised.

I'm not however saying I specifically agree with the firing of Thibodeau, just that I don't necessarily agree that he has done well enough that it's a mistake to let him go just based on his won/lost record.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  15. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

When it comes to regular season, two coaches have a higher winning percentage than Thibs-
    Steve Kerr — .793
    Gregg Popovich — .683

It's easy to be emotional about Thibs being let go when fans watched him do so much with so little at times as Bulls head coach. Knowing Bulls head coach history since Phil Jackson motivates fans to aggressively dislike this move. I can't say that it's a bad move yet although I hate it right now. The chatter that has Fred Hoiberg coming in isn't that promising considering he's an unproven commodity in NBA circles. He'll go somewhere else and likely win it all. Sure, he's a taskmaster that's out of place in a players league where a fat paycheck and setting the rules is generally accepted but that's what it is. The Bulls were fourth in the league in offense so it wasn't emphasis on defense that did him in. Certainly not the end of an era in the sense that it didn't expire with a championship in its history. I'd like to have seen more from Doug McDermott for one so maybe that's something to look forward to next season.

16. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Rubbed everyone the wrong way. The clock is ticking, time for a change

17. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Well, I think comparing the Bulls moving upward to how Golden State did it this year after Mark Jackson is problematic since the Bulls simply do not have the quality of players GS has, nor a real superstar (Rose can be but his health is an issue every year and can't be depended upon for a whole season, plus is very up-and-down every game that he plays in).

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'd get burned out just having to listen to hoarse yelling all the time.

19. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Except that he ran his players into the ground, and likely took years off the careers of Noah and Rose with his refusal to manage their minutes. His style wears his teams down to nothing by the time the playoffs come around. He can win all the regular season games he wants, but he's not getting anyone to the championship with the way he manages his teams and his players' minutes and injuries.

20. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Paxson said at today's presser that if the Bulls were still playing, i.e. still in the running for a championship, they "wouldn't be having this conversation" about firing Thibs.

Everything you mentioned that the firing is about contributes to an inability to win a title. So, it is about failing to win a championship.