Chicago Bulls Land Their Man!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Teleplayer, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Fred Hoiberg signed as new head coach. Nothing like snagging a slightly above-average college coach with no NBA coaching experience, from a slightly above average college program, in a slightly above average college conference to run your team. Oh yeah, Fred was a very average-to-slightly-below-average NBA player too. Can't forget that.

If that hiring doesn't just scream "We Are Serious About Winning An NBA Championship" to the rest of the NBA, as well as Chicago's diehard fan base, I am not sure what does. 5 years at 5 Bricks/year. I think the Bulls must have been bidding against themselves because this guy wasn't even on the radar of any other NBA team(s). Probably could have hired him for 1/2 that amount.

This reeks of the Tim Floyd fiasco from few years ago, In fact, I am naming this Tim Floyd Part Deux.

The Bulls have not been relevant since the late 90s, and are obviously trying their best to keep that nearly 2-decade streak in tact. The double-headed team of Paxson/Forman are setting new standards in futility.

Somewhere, Phil Jackson is chuckling just a little harder than he was yesterday.

golfnutt67 likes this.
  2. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

This has been in the news here for weeks. The story here is Fred was the only person on the short list, they went after him exclusively. He was making over over 2 mill a year in Ames. You Bulls fans need to lighten up a bit and give him a chance. Hoiberg is an incredible person, the players are gonna love him and I think Chicago will like him. He'll bring exciting basketball.

Now, who will ISU get to replace him. Hornacek? He makes less in Phoenix than Fred was making at ISU.

ToneKing likes this.
  3. Teleplayer

Been in the news for weeks in Chicago too - and widely ridiculed by both press and fans.

Coaching a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds in a semi-above average college program is radically different than coaching in the NBA, not to mention coaching successfully in the NBA. His bona fides? He knows Paxson. Period.

Major market team. Attendance leader in the NBA. Former team to two of the NBA's 50 Greatest Ever, home of one of the 2 or 3 the greatest coaches in the history of the NBA, tons of history. And on and on. And this is the guy they hire?

No wonder the team has been adrift like a rudderless ship for nearly two decades. Paxson and Forman can't cut their way out of a wet paper sack when it comes to drafting, signing free agents or hiring coaches. They've turned on every coach they've hired, because none of them can get the team over the hump.

Hopefully this will be Gar-Pax's last coaching hire.

4. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I've been reading the knee jerk comments from the Bulls nation on The Tribune site and others. Pretty funny.

5. trouw2112

trouw2112 Supporting Member

Who should they have hired??

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  6. Faded

Faded Member

Being a nice person has nothing to do with winning championships. Bulls fans will not care that he volunteers at the soup kitchen when he's not making the playoffs.

But hey maybe that's all the Bulls could get these days. They haven't been a marquee team in decades. Largely irrelevant.

7. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Are the Bulls paying him to be the coach, or is he paying them? :confused

8. trouw2112

Bulls fans sure are angry folk. I can see why Fred took the job:D

9. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, this may be the most uniformed and uneducated post I have read on here, and that says a lot....when Fred is successful, I am sure you will be claiming to have been a fan of his from his playing days.

trouw2112 likes this.
  10. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Not a marquee team? Lol. They lead the NBA in attendance and are in the 3rd largest media market with a team that has one s many gms as anyone over the last five years.

Funny. Do you just make stuff up as you along?

11. Teleplayer

Bingo.

Idiotic management decisions. Wasn't Timmy Floyd a nice guy at ISU at some point in his life?

Bulls decided to hire in a dry market. Yet another ignorant decision. They should have been working behind the scenes on a coach for months - a person capable of taking the team to the next level.

Additionally, the Bulls have huge roster issues. They are, essentially, starting two centers (Noah and Gasol). Gasol had a great year, but is aging; Noah was run into the ground by Thibodeau and has a lot of healing to do. It would take five pages just to discuss their roster. The team has not done much of anything in the playoffs since the late 90s.

Hoiberg will be Floyd II, mark my word. Glad to hear he is a nice guy.

12. Teleplayer

Been following the Bulls and the NBA since 1968. You?

13. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

He has been a very good coach, he has turned ISU into a power.

Brad Stevens is doing well, so maybe Hoiberg will also.

14. Teleplayer

The Bulls lead the NBA in attendance because they have the largest stadium and have won a lot of regular season games. They haven't won $#!t in the past nearly 20 years. They can not interest either a top-tier coach or top-tier free agents to play in Chicago - because of bad senior management and bad decision making.

Just think where they could be if they had proper senior/executive management, could lure big-time FAs and could hire a real NBA coach.

15. Route234

Route234 Member

Its obvious that the problems in Chicago, once again are in upper level management and GM not the coach. Thibs had every right to be frustrated at the crap job that Gar Forman and John Paxson did in Chicago. Once again he got handed a roster full of injuries and questionably overpaid talent. Hiring Hoiberg like he is the 2nd coming of Phil Jackson is just an embarrassment. Reinsdorf is the guy who just makes dumb decisions because he blindly backs upper management over players and coaches to the degree where he is willing to ignore facts and reality to back his guys. He kept Krause for like 5 years beyond where any other intelligent human being would have and he even let Krause run Jackson and Jordan off and no other owner in any sport would have sided with Krause over them.

16. Teleplayer

Many correct and logical points in Route234's post.

Except Reinsdorf is a brilliant businessman. Bought the Bulls for $18m. They are worth 60+ times that. Same with the White Sox.

Otherwise, everything said was spot-on.

17. trouw2112

So, who should have been hired then???

18. Teleplayer

Again, dry market. Bad time to be searching for a coach.

That's the whole point. Senior/exec management should have likely understood the market. However, they already had their guy selected; so maybe it would not have mattered.

Scott Brooks???

19. Faded

Faded Member

Not making anything up. Have they been relevent as a succesful franchise in the last 15 years?

Nope.

Sure, they are big in Chicago, but everywhere else they are "Jordans team from the 90s" Not what I'd call marquee by any definition.

20. trouw2112

Being a diehard Iowa State fan it's unfortunate that the Bulls upper management has, for the 2nd time, f**ked up a great thing in Ames to hire a coach that the Chicago fans don't want and is doomed to fail. Hopefully, Fred can pull a rabbit out of his ass and do good for you guys. Not holding my breathe, but I hate to think we lost him for nothing.

roadfilm likes this.