Chicago Documentary "Now More Than Ever"

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
Just watched it.

Being a life long fan, I really enjoyed it. What a great band!

chillybilly

Their appearance on Guitar Center Presents was very interesting and they, unsurprisingly, were tight.

mdrake34

Just watched it.

Being a life long fan, I really enjoyed it. What a great band!

I have a new found appreciation for their work, not unlike how I felt after watching "history of the eagles." It's amazing how they wrote so many great songs over such a long period of time (not to mention the Eagles' connection of Irving Azoff).

Holy **** David Foster was a douchebag though. Being filmed in front of his 16 Grammys was one thing, but then turning around and referring to them while filming? Ugh. Although, I do love the 80's power ballads he helped them write. You're the inspiration is my jam.

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah bummer about Seraphine. However, is a little hard to understand why he would have trouble playing songs he'd been playing for like 30 years! There's probably more to that story.

rdamato

Silver Supporting Member
Very enjoyable. Could'nt believe what a prolific composer Jim Pankow is. Very Impressed.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
You see a lot of threads about bands losing key members but still being relevant. This isnt one of them. When they lost Kath, they lost their soul. I've seen pretty much every version, including Kath, then Dawkins, then the newer crew. None of them could touch the 70's group with Terry. The last time I saw them, they were with EW&F, and they sucked bad.

I'll probably pass on this documentary.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Some things come with a load of intensity and strength and music wise, you expect that from every album and performance of that band. I was done with Chicago after the third album. I was 13 when CTA debuted and got lucky to hear it a lot on radio driving across the country with my family. No offense to Ringo, but if John, Paul and George left the Beatles and Ringo carried on as the Beatles:facepalm. And I'd go see Ringo singing C&W before I'd go to a Chicago show. Say the Chicago band was exactly the way it is now, But Terry went on a health kick physically and mentally and did split with the band. He is alive today! The Kath, Cetera, Seraphine power trio is playing at a 3500 seat theater whilst Chicago is part of a triple lame Bill of non originals. I'll take the dam 3499th seat please!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
OH! And they hired Steve Winwood to replace Robert Lamm. Oh!, there will be some new material, wanna hear it? As long as we are dreaming of extacy?

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
The film will also be available the day after the premiere (Monday, Jan. 02) on demand via cable/satellite systems and CNNgo. NOW MORE THAN EVER will also encore on CNN/U.S. on Saturday, Jan. 07 at 8:00pm and 10:00pm Eastern. (7 and 9pm CST )

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
The film will also be available the day after the premiere (Monday, Jan. 02) on demand via cable/satellite systems and CNNgo. NOW MORE THAN EVER will also encore on CNN/U.S. on Saturday, Jan. 07 at 8:00pm and 10:00pm Eastern. (7 and 9pm CST )

CNN also tends to replay this sort of thing ad nauseam.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Yes, he declined, they mentioned that in the beginning. I agree Foster was a bit much, but I'll give him points for admitting that he pushed them too far in the ballad direction.
But, man, they crapped all over Danny Seraphine.
Foster was very abrasive. "I'm great, can't have 16 grammys if you're not great!" Yeah right.
To Danny's credit though, he admitted he played a part in his own demise and dropped the ball when they needed him. I don't think they have any ill will between them, they were just being brutally honest on both sides. Cetera is the one who won't speak to any of them, which seems odd since he would most likely be unknown without that band on his resume.
Some things come with a load of intensity and strength and music wise, you expect that from every album and performance of that band. I was done with Chicago after the third album. I was 13 when CTA debuted and got lucky to hear it a lot on radio driving across the country with my family. No offense to Ringo, but if John, Paul and George left the Beatles and Ringo carried on as the Beatles:facepalm. And I'd go see Ringo singing C&W before I'd go to a Chicago show. Say the Chicago band was exactly the way it is now, But Terry went on a health kick physically and mentally and did split with the band. He is alive today! The Kath, Cetera, Seraphine power trio is playing at a 3500 seat theater whilst Chicago is part of a triple lame Bill of non originals. I'll take the dam 3499th seat please!
This is exactly the kind of "nothing good to say" post that the mods asked us to avoid in their sticky thread about TGP in 2017. If you hate them that much, why did you feel compelled to come in here and make sure we all know how much you hate them? You can't even be objective enough or impartial enough to watch the documentary? But it's vital to make sure all of TGP knows how low your opinion is of the band........ all righty then....
I have a new found appreciation for their work, not unlike how I felt after watching "history of the eagles." It's amazing how they wrote so many great songs over such a long period of time (not to mention the Eagles' connection of Irving Azoff).

Holy **** David Foster was a douchebag though. Being filmed in front of his 16 Grammys was one thing, but then turning around and referring to them while filming? Ugh. Although, I do love the 80's power ballads he helped them write. You're the inspiration is my jam.
Yup. And they didn't mention Look Away by Diane Warren, who has written just about as many hits as Foster. I had no idea that Cetera had turned into such a baby about being the leader and being recognized. I also had no idea how badly James William Guercio had been ripping them off. WOW!
I just watched......big fan of Chicago, especially the first two albums. Bear in mind when watching that the documentary was produced by.....Chicago......
My guess is the director, Peter Pardini, is related to Lou Pardini, and that's why the doc has all that exclusive behind the scenes footage of them. I thought it was not entirely flattering to Chicago, even though it's their show. They were fairly honest about the ups and downs. The only thing I still don't get is why would Bill Champlin not have anything good to say about them? I've never heard any stories of bad blood with him.

Most of all I was glad to finally see Terry Kath get the recognition he so badly deserves. They might never have taken off at all if Kath hadn't been in the band. Without Terry Kath, I might not be here at all talking about being able to play the guitar. I was a college freshman when he died, and the foremost thought on my mind was when will I get a chance to see Chicago in concert so I can stand 10 feet away from Terry Kath and watch him play.

musicman1

I saw Chicago once with Terry Kath who still remains in my Mt Rushmore of gtr influences.

I saw them once with Donnie Dacus, twice with Chris Pinnick and once with Dwayne Bailey playing gtr. Epically different band after Kath's death.

As a fan, Id recommend the first 3 albums as absolute required listening but there are many great songs on the remaining albums with Kath. Is It Blue? being a fan fav...

Following Kath's death the band changed its image as a roots orientated horn rock band that also played some jazz to a commercial corporate rock group to what I feel has been for the past 25 years or so is a tribute band at best.

As a Kath fan and a fan of fusion oriented horn bands such as CTA and Blood Sweat and Tears, Tower of Power etc I really lost interest in Bill Champlain's contribution which was great at first and mundane and overused and exploited in the end.

Any band with 50 years of history will have many chapters but Ill take the first 11 records above all else and leave it at that for me. In a lot of ways, I kind of wish the band ended with Kath's death.

I have DVR'd the show and look forward to watching it later.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom