Chicago Help--refret a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue-moon, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I am looking to get a Les Paul re-fretted. It is a guitar I really care about. I usually have my guitars served by George at the Music Gallery. But I am thinking of taking it do Tim Schroeder instead. He is a little more expensive that the Music Gallery. but I've heard such great things about his work.

Anyone had their guitars re-fretted by the Music Gallery? Any reason not to have George do it?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Tim Schroeder? If you go there, he may not be the guy who does the work. I took a guitar to him and another tech did the work.

I don’t know about Music Gallery.

If you are willing to drive, Cremer in North Aurora does wonderful work.

3. mbetter

mbetter Member

Jerry or Mike @ Player's Guitars in Worth do fantastic work.

4. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Yeah, Tim. Sorry. Typo. He used to have techs working for him in his Chicago shop. Does he still have staff now that he is in the burbs?

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

The guys at Third Coast Guitar are good, and Chicago Music Exchange has a repair shop in the basement. I've had amps worked on at both places and was satisfied.

Bobby D likes this.
  6. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I have no idea. I left Illinois a few years ago.

Cremer is a wizard imo. He has magical powers to make guitars play great - again, if you feel like driving out there.

7. agquake

agquake Silver Supporting Member

Chicago Fretworks did a great job on my '79 LP Custom

8. pressure

pressure Member

George at The Music Gallery doesn't do the refrets, I believe it is Chip that does that.
    I had a guitar refretted and PlEked at The Music Gallery and it turned out Fab.
    If I had another guitar that needed new frets I would take it to The Music Gallery.

9. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Scott at Fat Cat Guitars in Elgin(847-888-0000). He's unsurpassed in quality, fairly priced, pretty damned fast & honest! Worth the drive & you won't be sorry!

Tony

10. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I had my vintage Martin D35 refretted at Third Coast Guitars and I am VERY happy with the work they did. They also have one of several very qualified individuals do work at several other music stores around the Chicago/ Suburban area on selected days of the week. So you can take your guitar into one of those stores as well. They will take your guitar back to their inner city site for the refretting and you can pick it back up from the site you dropped it off at once the work is completed (in case you dislike driving into the city as much as I do).

Also.... the work that they do is very reasonably priced imo. Check out their website.

11. mbetter

mbetter Member

I've taken one guitar to Third Coast for a fret level.

I won't be taking another one there.

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I have an ESP strat that Third Coast refretted with big Jescar stainless steel 6100 frets, and the work is impeccable - I have heard they are really busy, but i recommend them highly based on the refret they did on my guitar!

13. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I'll second this suggestion as well.