Chicago Iron effects ... worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hotmod, Jan 22, 2015.

1. hotmod

hotmod Member

I have developed a huge gas for an Octavia pedal lately and I also got this sound in my head that seems to be nailed by the Chicago Iron Octavian from what I can understand by listening to Youtube videoclips.
    So I begun to search for one and they seem to be quite pricey.
    Worth to spend the extra money?
    There seem to be two types of their Octavia pedal ,one called Octavian with a led and mxr type knobs and one called Octavia with no led , different knobs and Tycobrahe printed in place of Chicago Iron.
    Are there any differences between them besides the cosmetics?
    Additionally my search of this company led me to check out their other pedals too and they also have a wah pedal that is even more expensive , is it that good?

2. Richards

Richards Member

I own there Octavia, Parapedal, and their PedalFlanger, and have
    owned these pedals for 10+ years with absolutely zero issues. They are
    built extremely well and are durable to say the least. The quality of the effects themselves
    are as good as anything else out there, between there Parapedal and Pedalflanger, there are alot of very usable sounds to be had, add a O.D pedal before and a delay pedal after these two pedals (Parapedal &Pedalflanger) and IMHO this is where these pedals show there monetary value ,so to speak. Im not affiliated with Chicago Iron (or any other pedal manufacturer) I'm a player and collector who likes to try out different sounds. All are great pedals, no regrets in purchasing these at all.

3. hotmod

hotmod Member

Right, thanks :).They all look very sturdy built.
    Anyone else?
    How does the wah compares to the cry baby types? Does it get that sound and a lot more ,or it's a different type of wah sound alltogether?
    What are these knobs for?

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

It's not really a wah as we know it but kind of an entirely different dual filter circuit controlled by the pedal. Tychobrae tried something completely different but it was prohibitively expensive. All Chicago Iron stuff is really top shelf Tychobrae clones and Tychobrae themselves were pretty top shelf in their day (they mostly made pro audio and studio gear).