Chicago Iron Pedalflanger (Tycobrahe)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by orange worker, Jul 21, 2008.

1. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

Does anyone have one of these? Played one? There is only like 1 clip of the thing on line.

I kinda wanna replace all my modulation on my board with a couple of pedals and was looking at this. I have a coupon for ebay as well to take the sting out. I'd really love a Mu-tron to go along with my Micro V & Phasor, but I don't see that happening.

[​IMG]

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey, yup! I've played one several times. My good friends owns one and lent it to me for a few weeks... it's a really great and unique flanger- unlike any other flanger I've played. Very metallic sounding and psychadelic at the same time. It's a BIG piece! I get to play his anytime, and I really dig it. His is purple :)

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I posted a clip of an original here last year. The clip wasn't anything special but you got the gist. One of my all time favorite pedals. I understand the CI version is a recreation of the 3rd revision of the Tycobrahe. Mine is the 1st version so I don't know if the clip I posted is representative of the CI.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Here's a picture of it next to some other 'standard' sized pedals, so that you can get an idea. I love it, though.

[​IMG]

5. orange worker

Do you have a link to the clip? I was hoping to see a video demo if possible.

I have an option of getting a purple one with gold writing. Size really isn't that important since i should have plenty of room on my board/next to it. How is the bypass switch and switching it between modes? Any modes that are no good?

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

They're all good.

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

okay, one more picture, but just 'cause it's cool as shyte!

[​IMG]

8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I have one: it's a kickass, radical & unique pedal. It's extremley versatile when you start tweaking the 2 knobs. Big gnarly sweeping flanging, nice leslie impersonation (w/speed control), very nice chorus sounds, plus a plethora of crazy detuned sci-fi madness with controllable sweep. As for replacing 3 or 4 modulation pedals on my board - I suppose you could do it. It's not really feasable for me to be twisting knobs onstage between each song. HOWEVER - it is a KILLER sounding pedal that has caused me to build a 2nd 'mini' pedalboard that is compact & gets amazing sounds. Wah - Fuzz/Octave - Pedalflanger - Delay. With those 4 pedals - unlimited sounds & textures. I highly recommend it.

So my overall answer: YES - get one! Worth the cash, as no other unit can do what this baby does.

9. Artoo

Artoo Member

Hi, Long time lurker and this is my first post! I am also interested in one of these. does anyone else have clips or other experience. thanks

10. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I had an original and I could get it to sound like the riff on the intro to Black Sabbath's The Writ. I think Geezer used it with his bass. I wish I had kept it:jo. Nothing sounds like it. From what I understand the Chicago Iron Pedalflanger has usable setting at every turn of the knobs.

11. orange worker

i almost have enough for one. so much gasssssssss.

now just have to decide between the purple & blue.

marko, what kind of adapter did it take - a boss barrel or mini 1/8"?

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I can't find the clip on my server but maybe if I can find any free time this weekend, I'll do another quickie.

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

It just took a standard 9v adaptor- so boss barrel.
    Take the plunge. I'd get one, but I'm getting a Lovetone flanger soon :)