Chicago Music Exchange visit today

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by KazJY, Feb 15, 2009.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I just had to post regarding my visit to the Chicago Music Exchange today.

Totally a positive experience! I've seen threads which recommended the store, but said "prices are way too high, and the attitude sucks", etc... (I scratched my head in wonder, as I never got any of this when buying a vintage Rickenbacker a while back - I even walked out with a stand, strap, T shirt...).

Today I was greeted by all three sales people on staff today at different times while making the rounds in the store. I was asked if I needed to plug anything in - they'd be glad to bring an amp into a room for me if need be. They knew what they were talking about when asking about a vintage Fender amp and several pedals that a friend and myself were drooling over - NO attitude whatsoever, and you know, a lot of the stuff was marked lower than a GC or Sam Ash would normally have them. I didn't look at much vintage stuff, but they were willing to talk about a possible purchase as opposed to "that's the price, there ya go" as I've seen at other Chicago stores.

I did mention to them that they were known for being snobby ("hey, where's the attitude I heard so much about here!?" - in a joking kinda way) and they acknowledged that the reputation was known, and the offending salespeople are no longer there.

If you are in the area - give em a (or another) try. I didn't mention that I'd be posting this, but I found myself wishing I had the funds to pick up a pedal while there, they were that helpful with everything. :BEER

(I am posting this in hopes that this doesn't get ugly with the haters - trying to keep things positive this Sunday eve...)

2. tonefordays

tonefordays Member

A friend of mine works there. He's honestly one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I really like that place.

3. telemike

telemike Member

I've never seen any of the attitude and I have a well worn T-shirt that is one of my faves. They have a great selection and their acoustic room is amazing.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

great store, didnt encounter attitude when I went

5. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Years ago before they moved to their new location there was a fellow there that had a bit of an attitude but since the move I've had nothing but good experiences there. Definitely one of my favorite shops, love that I'm so close to it :)

6. FREELESSONSNOW

FREELESSONSNOW Senior Member

I'd love to visit that store. Not too many guitar stores worth going to in Orlando.

7. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Totally agree, I was there Saturday. I helped a buddy pick out a nice Seagull, he wanted to start playing and was looking for a decent accoustic. I was really impressed with their approach and they are NOT commision based.

Will go back for sure!

8. sears

sears Member

I went there in 1997 and played a custard yellow 1971 tele which was $1100. I thought, now I want a tele but I can't afford this one. Visiting my parents over xmas I got a new tele plus for $750 at Bill's in Baltimore. (Which will be as good when it's 26 as this one was.)

I love that guitar, but now I think.. while that 71 tele seemed expensive at the time (I had a MIM strat, a Peavey Classic 20, a Washburn Prairie Song, a P and a Tascam 424) it was a fair price for a super guitar. I still have the strat, tele, and P.