Chicago : "Old Days" : Vintage Live Performance

Gig Young

¡Advocate For Advocacy!
Platinum Supporting Member
Saw them twice in 1970 and 71.
Truly excellent performance.

And that's back in the days of poor stage sound systems and such.
That makes it truly incredible.

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
I like that bit around 2:45 ish where they come in with all the background vocals.

musicman1

Great performance. Everyone s just playing and singing their asses off. I think that was from a new years show maybe in England? I also remember The Beach Boys are on the bill iirc.

Haruki

Great performance. Everyone s just playing and singing their asses off. I think that was from a new years show maybe in England? I also remember The Beach Boys are on the bill iirc.
Not sure if it was in England but yes, The Beach Boys and Olivia Newton John performed too.

Steadfastly

I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto around '74. It was the first time I'd seen electric drums played live. One couple got up and waltzed to one of their numbers in front of the stage. They had a difficult time in the beginning convincing promoters and managers that horns could/would be accepted in rock and roll.

The most amazing thing I remember about them is that they were all true musicians, some of them had majored in music and it shows.

Last edited:

roverdog

My brother and I both love Chicago, but each of us prefers different eras. My brother is a trumpet player and loves the later stuff. I play bass and guitar and love the earlier Terry Kath stuff. It was great to go see them with my brother!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
This was the song where I knew Chicago was going south. This is dull & lack luster. It also seems that Terry was not into it as the CTA period. Anyway this represents Chicago going top forty and I found them boring and contrived. I liked the first two albums, you can have the rest of the yawners. The band died for me when Terry left us. I was a super CTA fan in 1968 when i was 13. That summer, we drive from LA to Chicago & back. Chicago was all over the radio that summer.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
And Terry ripping in a tux in the background! Surrealistic Chicago! What an F’ng band!

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
The first band that captivated me as a preteen in the early 70s was Chicagp. I still have the box set of Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall my sister gave me for Christmas, and still listen to it regularly. They were so much a part of my growing up, and I still remember being crushed when Terry Kath died. I lost all interest in their music made after that; remember how disgusted I was at how terrible Hot Streets was after Chicago XI, which I adored.

The quality of music being played as everyday Top 40 hits in the 70s was amazing. I feel so blessed to have grown up in such times.

Trending Topics