Chick Corea Elektric Band tour '16 - anyone got the scoop?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tone4days, Apr 16, 2016.

1. tone4days

tone4days Member

i saw that Chick, Dave, John, Eric and Frank have a date in the fall posted for a show at The Wilbur in Mass. ... anyone know more details about a tour? new studio recording?

i first saw them (minus Eric) on the Fall '86 leg of their tour before 'Light Years' was recorded ... was amazing ... have seen them a handful of times since then and they never disappoint

i hope they come close to home - then again, a trip somewhere fun to see them could be cool now that we're empty nesters

any gotta match?

tribalfusion likes this.
  2. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Frank is a guitar god, of course, but I would REALLY be interested in seeing Chick with Charles Altura. That guy is pretty amazing. Is that band still together or touring?

ArchDukeOfTops and tribalfusion like this.
  3. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I saw Chick with Altura and it was interesting. Altura is definitely an up and comer and he is on the road with Terrance Blanchard now.

I also saw the Wilbur show listed and am looking forward to it! I know Chick is doing 2 months at the Blue Note later in the year for his birthday as well in a variety of groups including the Elektric Band.

4. tone4days

tone4days Member

i saw the vigil when that album was released and was impressed with charles' playing despite being very underwhelmed by the material .... just wasnt my thing ... i consider myself a huge corea fan but, alas, something has to be least favorite and the vigil was mine

5. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I think the Vigil is also playing during that residency at the Blue note by the way...

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

woot !

show added near me !

WOOT !

7. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

By the way, the press release for Chick states:

"This exclusive tour is one of the highlights of Chick’s ongoing 75th birthday celebration, a full year of globe-spanning creative adventures, culminating in a two-month residency at New York’s Blue Note Jazz Club featuring the Elektric Band among many other musical collaborations."

A 2 month residency in New York at the Blue Note.

Now THAT is awesome!

Bobbyoso and tone4days like this.
  8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

This thread needs a bump...such an amazing band.

9. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

From his website it looks like mostly smaller group or solo performances through late September

10. tone4days

tone4days Member

yeah, the cceb dates arent on his site yet .... just 2 dates in oct announced on fb so far

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

crikey!

$79.50 per ticket before fees ... $185 for a pair after all is said and done

ouch!

12. tone4days

tone4days Member

Tonight at the Birchmere in NoVA

any other TGPers going?

13. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Saw it last night and it was simply amazing. That band is ridiculously awesome.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  14. vladorg

vladorg Member

I wanted to go, but I think it's sold out and the ticket prices seemed kinda steep. I saw them last time they toured at the 9:30 club in DC.

15. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

You should go and get someone's last minute ticket sale which usually happens at these shows. It's worth it and who knows if or when they will ever do this tour again.

It's an incredible show.

vladorg likes this.
  16. sjishere

sjishere Member

Yup. I was there as well. Great show.

tribalfusion likes this.
  17. vladorg

vladorg Member

You're right, I might do that.

18. tone4days

tone4days Member

was a really happenin' show last night at the Birchmere - sold out, very appreciative crowd

not enough superlatives without devolving into cliche, but i will say one thing in response to the other thread where Gambale was lumped in with 'not emotional' players

that's just an opinion not really supported by the evidence ... his playing has become even more fully realized than at any time in his career ... he has lost nothing in speed/technique - so articulate and blindingly fast when he so chooses ... his harmonic/melodic concepts are as sublime as ever ... but he seems to have added even more complexity/variety to his rhythmic phrasing that imbues the totality of his soloing with even more complete depth and impact ... a very wide palette of emotional colours at his command

i couldve done with a little less from 'To The Stars' and about 30 minutes more from across the vast CCEB catalog - the show was less than 2 hours and for that kinda money, i'd hope for more ... i guess when i'm 75 and selling out tours, i will be sure to work longer

happy to report that Gambale got a stellar mix - plenty loud and clear (except for during the encore 'got a match' where chick's keytar was too loud) ... and his tone was best ever (he usually gets buried in the mix, IME) ... not a hint of buzzy/fizzy OD tone, just a clean clear OD singing tone from his sig Kiesel solidbody w/trem and sig DV Mark amp and (2) 2x12" cabs ... FG's sig COrt acoustic sounded very pleasant too - articulate but not sterile or quacky ... i am not in love with JP's new bass ... his playing is just so so so incredible (both pocket groove setting and unison single note lines / soloing), but the added lows and low mids of the semi hollow bass overshadow the upper mids and highs in a way that fails to recreate the signature crisp percussive attack so prominent on CCEB recordings .. very good, just not great, imo

if you can see them at the residency in NYC, i encourage you to do so

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    vladorg and tribalfusion like this.