chicken pickin' for noobs; recommend me some tabs/lessons please!

longtime fan of the chicken pickin' style and think it's 'bout time i venture into it myself. i can't read music, but would love it if you guys could recommend me some tabs, lessons, videos, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

lifeinsong

There have been a bunch of threads about this topic posted in this section. If you search "country guitar" or "chicken pickin" you should find what you're looking for. There are also a ton of video lessons on YouTube that focus on that style of playing.

My personal recommendation would be to check out CountryGuitarChops.com which is a really good website run by a guy named Ken Carlson who is a smokin' player and equally good instructor. He has a ton of free lesson material on his site and he also sells DVD/Download packages that cover the entire spectrum of country guitar from traditional to more modern playing styles.

Clifford-D

Paying it toward, someone posted this cool country lick. It's all in the pull off's.

In G, G7

--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------
-5-3-0----3-0----0----------------------
---------5------5----5-3-0----3-0----0-
------------------------------5------5-----
---------------------------------------------

continued,
--------------------------
-5-3-0----3-0-----0---
---------5-------5-----3

Last edited:

teleman55

Some "etc." Palm mute, fret right up by the fret, pull off to deaden, pick by the bridge, compressor, slight delay, a few things.

newb3fan

Search YouTube for Greg Loch videos. He goes in depth on how to do it on an hour long seminar video.

Typo alert - I think this poster is referring to Greg Koch, the rather understated guitar virtuoso you will find all over YT.

John Thigpen

Gold Supporting Member
Oops! I never noticed the typo. Of course I meant "Koch". Autocorrect changed it "Loch", and tried to do it in this post. As another TGPr has in his signature, "Autocorrect needs to quit messing with my shirt".

I corrected it in the original post so it will make sense.

Here's the video I was referring to. He starts talking about chicken picking at 27:00, but doesn't start to demo it until nearly 33:00. The whole video is great fun though.

Last edited:

Bradleyonmic

Watch some Johnny Hiland videos, and just feel like giving it all up! He has some good videos, but when he's playing full on...fugedaboutit!

Turi

Can confirm.

Here's a Brad Paisley video, a JT Corenflos video (you don't know who he is now but after the video you'll love his playing), and a Chicken Pickin video teaching 2 licks from Josh Thompson songs.

And this String Bending video is pretty country-related, as well as this Country Solo Improvisation video.

On Monday I have another video coming out that teaches some country stuff that I'm really excited about.

My first foray into chicken pickin was learning the intro to Mr. Policeman by Brad Paisley. I remember when that clicked and I never looked back.

Damn! That Mr. Policeman song is awesome!
I need to learn this stuff. Cheers mate.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom