chicken salad vs deja vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lund, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Lund

Lund Member

im just curious...

do any of you own a really good vibe (KR, sweetsound, fulltone) and have compared the super cheap Danelctro chicken salad?

It has photocells like the real deal... but is it good, or does it not even come close.

Some of those danelectro pedals are good, but how does it stand up directly compared.

Michael

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the Danelectro a lot.
    Unlike most things on here it costs less than a tank of gas to check out.

Best, Pete.

3. Craise

Craise Member

Dano sounds great for clean...and muddies up (IMHO) when dirty.
    The high end ones sounds good clean and dirty..
    But for the price and if you only use vibe on one or two songs...dano is pretty cool....but if you do lots of Hendrix, trower...I would go for a mojo, deja ect...
    :)

4. rewog

rewog Member

Well that shocks me !
    I can certainly hear a BIG difference between the Deja and something like the Lovepedal Vibe (I don't think Sean would ever claim it's meant to be an equivalent to the real circuit). They're really completely different animals.

So is the Chicken Salad better than the Lovepedal and MoFaux vibes ?

5. madsr

madsr Member

the lovepedal and mofaux vibes are different from the deja, mojo, ultra, vibe unit..etc.... the lovepedal and mofaux are more or less simple speed .. fast or slow vibes.. whereas the others are more of a true chorus/vibrato with speed and intensity.. deeper warble.. to an almost boxy tone when set set right kind of like an old 808 with the gain all the way down and the level up.. just much more versatile than the magicboy or mofaux vibes.. and also much more $$ .. haven't tried the dano but maybe I'll check it out...

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I used to have a Chicken Salad. For it's price, it sounded great. One of the better ones in Dano's cheapie series.

However, now for a vibe I use one of the discontinued Shannon UniPhase pedals, and the Shannon kicks the Dano's little orange ass to the curb!

7. rewog

rewog Member

I understand that - the Lovepedal and MoFaux are an attempt to emulate the true Vibe design with a simpler circuit.
    I assume the Dano is a similar deal so i was asking if it does a better job of emulating that sound for less money than the Lovepedal and MoFaux..

8. madsr

madsr Member

I don't know but I think I'm gonna get a dano soon to see if it comes close to a deja type of vibe.. for the $ I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t if it does.. simply because the vibe is an expensive pedal for me considering how much I use it...

9. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Got one for $25 and it is amazing (MUST use a adaptor, batteries last about 15 minutes...NOT kidding). Shicken Salad and a French Toast and you are in Hendrix lasd really fast and REALLY cheap. The French Toast does an AMAZING octave.. You DO need to be careful with these though for the $$$ that are truly great!

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

anyone compare these vibes mentioned to the byoc vb-2?

11. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I had the chicken salad for a while...Craise is absolutely correct that it muddies up a little when dirty. The sound of it clean is pretty stunning though. A mofaux finally kicked it off my board briefly before the HBE psilocybe kicked the mofaux out. I absolutely LOVE the psilocybe and it would now be hard for me to go back to the chicken salad.

12. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I recorded a quickie of the Chicken Salad. I just got it used on eBay. It does get a little muddy with some OD, but this is my first pedal of this kind and I am pretty excited. See and hear at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-26.php

Let me know what you think.

R

13. vorvick

vorvick Member

Hey rotren:

Just found your clip - thanks for posting. I may just gamble 30 bucks on a cheap salad!

V

14. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  15. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I had one of these li'l guys & really, really dug it. Douse the lights and you can actually see the seed bulb blinking inside the orange plastic housing. The Mo'faux & MagicBOY don't use the classic light/photocell arrangement in the circuit, and, as such, sound more like a phaser/trem (imo) than a true 'vibe clone - Which both Bob & Sean claim they ain't anyway..

Getting back to the Dano, I'm not sure if it was a case of being influenced by the incredible cheapness of the pedal (BadMonkey syndrome?), but I thought it sounded better than both the Dunlop Univibe & the VoodooLab MicroVibe I owned at the same time.

They are very fragle and the bypass buffer's right up there amongst the most *tone-sucking* (better than a Crybaby/worse than a BOSS) I've heard, but at 29 bucks, how could ya go wrong?

As a real Hendrix/Trower/PinkFloyd nut, I graduated to a Sweetsound Ultravibe long ago, but if I only needed a 'vibe for one or two songs a night, I might still be using the ChickenSalad.