1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chieftain OR Clubman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rabbitpunt, Jun 7, 2006.

1. rabbitpunt

rabbitpunt Member

Which would you want or like....which has more bit and attack to it and whcich has better tolorence to pedals..........also grit tone which is better and whic would handle a es 355 or a es 345 better?

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

They really aren't very similar at all. The Clubman (which is my personal fav), I think, will have more clean headroom. That makes it a great platform for pedals (which is how I used mine). The Chieftain will behave more like a Marshall. More gain, earlier breakup. I do think the Chieftain is maybe a little smoother in the OD department. The Clubman can sound a little muddy. I think it is voiced more in the Hiwatt camp than the Cheiftain is. Either way it's a Matchless so you really can't go wrong.

3. kush06

kush06 Member

I've owned a clubman since the mid 90's. I find it to be really picky with dirt pedals, but I'm loving the sound of it pushed with a fulltone ocd. TS9, fulldrive, fd2 all gave it harshness I could never dial out. It's really a great sounding amp, i'll own mine till I die. Haven't played a chieftain so can't compare them in that respect. The clubman's cleans and crunch were about 100x better than a 50 watt silver jubilee marshall I had, fwiw. have fun, play them both, let your ears decide, either way you win!

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had both, still have the Clubman. Sounds great with a Zendrive and a Blue Devil OD.

5. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've got a Clubman & it's perfect for what you want. Like someone else stated - an OCD into the Clubman is absolute heaven for OD & crunch. Love mine to death.

6. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I always like to chime in on these Clubman vs Chieftain discussions, because I love my Chieftain so much. I've owned both, and find them to be as everyone states, quite different animals. My ears tell me the Chieftain is the more versitile amp, with it's smoother overdrive, and deep, rich cleans. With the reverb, it's my perfect Marshall/Fender blend, while still keeping that distinctive Matchless personality. The Clubman is the nastier, in your face sound, that was cool, but never as satisfying to me. And remember, they're both happier amps, with good tubes. I play roots, which covers the blues, country, but with my fulldrive, or lovepedal balance, can really rock. If I have to really hurt somebody, I grab my Bloodhound. Now there's an amp!

7. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

The Clubman has a great overdrive tone. It took me a while to get the right tubes in mine, it kept killing them :/ Anyways, I might be able to make some clips of it this afternoon. I run it through a 1960bx marshall with greenbacks. Let me know if anyone wants them and I will post them in the soundclip section.

8. haslar

haslar Member

I do !
    :BOUNCE

9. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I've owned both and agree with the posters above... they are different animals. I probably preferred the Clubman and neither works well with too many pedals... not that you asked. The Clubman has better attack than the Cheif at lower input settings but they seem to reverse as you push the input volume.

Both are great amps and you really can't go wrong pluggin' a Gibby semi hollow in the front end of either amp.

<M

10. drrube

drrube Member

I have a Matchless problem, and fully admit it. I love the tone of the Clubman, but used the Chieftain to record with. Both are great with pedals. Chieftain probably a little smoother because you can roll a little reverb in or out...unless you have a Clubman reverb, and I do....the first I believe. Uh...this is just getting sad.

cheers,
    Geoff

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I love my Chieftain, and find it to be a VERY versatile plug-and-play amp, one that bridges the Fender/Marshall divide rather nicely...

12. iainmc

iainmc Member

i've owned both & prefer the clubman. I still own the clubman. But thats not to dis the chieftain - it breaks up earlier & is a great amp. i really like the clean headroom on the clubman.

my favourite pedal with both amps is the Klon Centaur, but thats the case with everything.

/i

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both, found the Clubman very picky about speakers (didn't have a Matchless bottom at the time) and in the end didn't bond with it. The Chieftain I don't really need, I've got a Tweed Bassman and a JTM45 to bridge the Fender/Marshall gap, but I really like the sound and can't bring myself to sell it... I usually run it thru WEber 30w Blues, open back.

14. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Chieftain 4x10, 2x12, and head, and no matter what I struggled to dig it. I just picked up a new Clubman from Matchless last week and I love it! It works great with pedals and so far it's loving my Gold and Blue mixed 2x12 cab. Two gigs in and no regrets. For those who think it gains up to fast, try a 12Y7 in V1 (1/3rd the gain of a 12AX7). This works well because it's not slamming the EF86 so hard, hence more headroom. It still has grind and bite, but not as much while still maintaining the chime factor. Good stuff!

15. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Alright dude. . .tell us about the Celestion Gold. . .Enquiring minds want to know. How does it sound and how does it mix with a blue?

16. meyersforever

meyersforever Member

How did you like the chaiftain 4x10 vs. the 2x12? I have a cheiftain head with a matching 2x12 cabinet and have been thinking of getting a 4x10 cab to tighten up the bottom of the amp. Would this work for me?

17. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I'm digging it, but I'll let others chime in once they've tried it. A manufacture reviewing their own product can sound a bit fishy, but I can say that Fred from Divided By 13 digs them as well. He did a head to head comparision and thought that they rocked. His words were that it sounded like a slightly broken in Blue with all of the chime and no ear fatigue. :AOK