chili peppers strat tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr.Minor20, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mr.Minor20

Mr.Minor20 Member

I'm thinking about replacing my pickups in my American Dlx Strat. If I could pinpoint the tone I'm looking for it would be John Frusciante's on the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album. I'm fairly sure he uses a strat on that album. Does anyone know what tone I'm talking about, and does anyone have any pickup ideas for this tone?

Thanks!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think John uses a vintage strat? Try a set of Don Mare pickups. He handwinds em, so you could probably specify the sound you are looking for when you order.

dk

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

Don Mare's pickups are great and they will get you there.

Another important component is cranking up your amp to about 8 and then turning your guitar volume down until it cleans up.

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Or a set of Rocketfire 60's. They'll get ya there. Its helps to have a good Flea!!! Cope the feel and lock it in. Marshall Major cranked( Ouch!) guitar volume down.

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

John uses many vintage Strats and other guitars as well...worth mentioning that the guitar(s) used on BSSM are all long gone except the red Jag however John now has several more vintage Strats, 3 of them are quite popular and see lots of use...a 55, a 61 and a 63 I think and in a recent interview with VG John metioned that when he bought the 55 it had the stock pickups removed and replaced with Duncan Vintage Strat pickups, these are better known as Duncan SSL-1's...He left them in his 55 and said they sounded just as good as his stock vintage Strats and when a pickup dies he replaces it wiht a new SSL-1.

I use SSL-1's in my Strat and love them, classic Strat tone for sure. You can get a lot of pickups that cost a lot more money but the SSL-1's are so damn good why bother?!

6. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars Supporting Member

I feel my middle pickup gets that really smacky strat sound I've heard on some of the Chili Pepper's songs.

I'm not an avid Chili Peppers guy. But when I was in high school I was primarily a bass player (still am) so I had to learn some of Flea's style. I still think of him when I think funk. I still try to feel some of his influences too (bootsy) when I play funkier stuff. But yep, they should get you in that arena of straty sounds.

7. The Captain

The Captain Member

Get a really old beat Strat
    Get seriously bent on many drugs
    Get a massive pedal board with at least one of everything on it, and two or three of the really cool pedals.
    Good to go !!

8. DonM

DonM Member

on you tube you can watch the making of Blood Sugar Sex Majix - its a huge mansion - same place the Beatles first took LSD and some other Hendrix stuff happened there too. the rented and stayed in it for a month - nice footage of the strat comes up often

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4OD0NY6DvU&feature=related

9. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

10. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Amazing documentary.

SSL1s will get you really close.
    A good vintage marshall will get you closer.
    Add in a Boss CE1, and you're there.

11. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Wow, this is pretty much what I'm looking for. SD SSL-1s sound quite good, from what I've heard. You'll want a british voiced amp too. You'll definately want a Chorus/Flanger, as RockStarNick mentioned. Frusciante used chorus on nearly every song on BSSM.

If you're in the UK, check out the Smooth Grooves on here:

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  12. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

you can watch funky monks in it's entirety on google video.

13. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

he uses a compressor on that album as well. Boss CS-2 maybe?

14. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Cool! Thanks!

15. Mr.Minor20

Mr.Minor20 Member

Thanks for all the help everyone, i'll check out the SSL-1's. I've heard a lot of great stuff about Don Mare so maybe that's worth a shot. But I think I'll follow violetlove's advice first and see how it goes haha.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I have a hazy recollection of a GP interview that indicated "under the bridge" (that sort of tone?) was recorded with a little Fender SS hot rod(?) with built in compressor face down and recorded from the back... I thought it was a unique approach, at the time, so sort of remember the article as an example of the anything goes in the studio method. And perhaps that the was Jazzmaster, too. Doesn't really matter...whatever works for you!