Chime

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Man, it is just amazing to hear the different types of chime between circuits in amps... I feel like my Gries 5 with it's Fender Blackface / Tweedy side has this chime happening that is just soooooo Fender-like. Then, I go play a Vox AC15CC and I can't get THAT chimey goodness out of my head. Then today my Winfield arrived from a fellow TGP'er and that has a completely different type of chime than the Gries or Vox. Marshall chime? Really? Who knew? It's really, really hard to admit this but British voiced tone just kills me.... all of these years I swore I was a tried and true Fender-style guy, never even considering that Marshall-style amps had ANY clean or slight breakup to offer at all. And Vox, what the hell was that???
    I've wasted so much time, I have to relearn everything :rotflmao
    Obviously I'm in the honeymoon phase, but this Winfield is really sounding good, even through a simple Peavey 1x12. What until I get my Marshall 4x10 :BOUNCE

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

When I think chime, I immediately think of VOX/Celestion 15 watt AlNiCos, EL84's and EF86's. Though I have heard major chime from other amps paired with 2 X 10" and 4 X 10" cabs as well.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

G,
    I want the full review on that winnie.:cool:

That thing would have more chime than an actual el-34 plexi because of the el-84 power section which is similar to a vox. The preamp is plexi all the way tho.

As far as marshall not having good edge of breakup tones consider that all of Jimi's famous tracks were cut with marshalls. Including little wing, castles made of sand, bold as love etc. Marshalls have GREAT low-med gain tones. That said I would take a fender in a heartbeat over any marshall for straight up clean tones. And Vox style amp probably have the coolest medium gain tones ever. Oh yeah don't for get tweed fenders too. Collect them all I say! And then lend them to me:BEER

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

5. Gasp100

Yo! What up J? The Winnie kills... I love it, so far so good. This thing just has these overtones when you play, kind of like glassy ghost notes that are floating in the ether... I don't know, maybe I just took too much cold medicine or something?
    :BEER
    The Tele through this sounds devine.... never totally, squeaky, spanky clean but just really full of character. I'll be bringing it up in a few weeks for "testing" at your place. The ability to blend the normal channel with the bright channel is amazing.
    I just emailed Winfield and he actually makes an amp called the Cyclone that is totally based off of the AC15 circuit... oh boy, here we go AGAIN! Of course now I have to post to see if anyone has played the Cyclone :rotflmao

6. bynt

bynt Member

I hear you. I've always been Fender snob too until a couple of years ago. Now not only do I not own a single Fender amp, but everything I have is el-84. Take that back, the Bedrock is el-34 and it's got MAJOR chimeage.

7. KHAN

KHAN Member

The 30 watt Winfield has been my gigging amp for about 3 years now. A lot of amp for the $$$.

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Too funny. I traveled exactly the same road. Two years ago I got a 68 plexi and a 63 AC-30 to see what all the fuss what about. Loved the Vox chime and grind but it's for sale now. I have decided Marshall's rule. All my amps, except for my oh so convenient and lighter than a Deluxe Reverb Soldano are now out. My AC-30 is for sale.

Marshall all the way. I bought a Jubilee 2554 last week and am hunting down a Germino 45.

I have joined the church of Marshall after decades of Deluxe Reverbs, Super Reverbs and Vibrolux Reverbs.

Amen!:JAM

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Around here the AC-30 guys call that floating in ether thing SWIRL.:crazy

Haven't really experienced it myself but I do know the british amps have a lot of harmonic character to them being that they don't ever seem to be truly squeaky clean... except for Hiwatts. You should get one of those too. C'mon I know you dig Gilmour.

That ugly electric blue winnie might still be for sale and your review is not helping me hold on to my cash. $660 for a one trick pony...hmmm... thing is I've always wanted that trick.

The victory plus pedals just kills tho and pedals are getting better all the time.:cool:

10. Gasp100

Swirl.... I like that :BEER
    Do you know anything about the Heritage Briton (II?). In my AC30 clone research that was mentioned and I know you're digging your Heritage Victory bigtime. A Heritage might be too much amp for me though (volume/wattage/cash wise). I might just drop it all and use the Winnie for a while... I'm gassing for a Reverend guitar as well. It never ends, does it :cool:

11. glman

glman Member

My alessandro English + 2x12 Celestion blues is absolutely amazing when it comes to chime + swirl.

12. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Not getting into circuits, EL84's and EL34's seem to be in nmost of the amps that have that bell-like chime or sparkle to their clean channels.

The ongoing debate on which amps (Vox AC30) or the newer Boogie Lone Star Special have that "84" stuff going on. 34's have always defined that Brit sparkle & grind.

13. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I was just like you, I was a Fender or Mesa guy.... Marshall's, they were for the "old school" rockers or blues players. But the funny thing is, I would run a multi FX processor through it to give it a certain tone that was my "main stay" tone. Then I tried an AC30, and my life changed!! I realized that the last 12 years, I was making my Fender sound like a slightly pushed AC30 on the cleans and a Marshall on the dirt. I can now play my Dr Z Stangray with no pedals at all and get the same tone I was proceessing my Fender to get.

+1 for chime!