Chinese Democracy....finally...really??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by traviswalk, Oct 22, 2008.

1. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Guns N' Roses to Release `Chinese Democracy' After 15-Year Wait
    2008-10-22 14:05:08.480 GMT

By Mark Beech
    Oct. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Guns N' Roses released a new single today as a preview to the album ``Chinese Democracy,'' ending a 15-year wait for fans of the U.S. rock band.
    The title track is available for streaming on Internet sites such as
    www.q1043.com. The work is being advertised by www.bestbuycom for release on Nov. 25 through Interscope Records.
    Guns N' Roses has sold 100 million albums. The last original releases were ``Use Your Illusion I'' and ``Use Your Illusion II''
    in 1991. (``The Spaghetti Incident?'' of 1993 was a covers
    collection.) The 1987 debut ``Appetite for Destruction,''
    containing ``Sweet Child O' Mine,'' has sold 27 million copies.
    The group's lineup has changed since that album, with singer Axl Rose working for years on ``Chinese Democracy.'' Billboard said the album's production cost was $13 million.
    The Guns N' Roses Web site has carried statements from Rose before saying the record is near release.
    A California man has been charged with posting nine songs from the unreleased album on his own site.
    (Mark Beech writes for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

2. traviswalk

Just had a listen to the tune on the site with the streaming version...I like it, a little heavier but Axl's got some anger to work out. Dug the guitar solo, very creative at spots. I wouldn't expect another Sweet Child on this album, but you never know..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I don't care what anyone says, I want to hear it. Hell, I might even buy it.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I just want my free can of Dr. Pepper.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

OK song, doesn't sound like GnR, but how could it...

6. traviswalk

I know, it's a shame to call it GnR. That's like calling Coverdale Page the new Led Zeppelin!! (not that there was anything wrong with Coverdale Page, I dug that album and subsequently shook my tree).

7. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Are there actually 'fans that have waited 15 years' for a release from Mr. Rose?:knitting
    Does the phrase 'get a life' mean anything?

Seriously - as stated above, it's not G-n-R. I mean, I dug Appetite... when it came out - hell, I've got it on vinyl, fer heaven's sake, but come on Axl! Even Def Leppard can come up with an album in less than 15 years.

8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

[​IMG]around about 100 years ago, there were manufacturers who specialized in one thing - buggy whips. fashion accessories of the second half of the 19th century, buggy whips served a major function in transportation of the time. need to go a bit faster? crack! off you go. sudden stop needed? crack! you stop on a dime. the onset of the 20th century saw gas pedals and brakes replacing the need to get horsepower by cracking your whip. unfortunately the buggy whip makers saw themselves as buggy whip makers, not transportation accelerators and decelerators. as the demand for buggy whips died, so did the buggy whip makers.[​IMG]

9. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

10. 69 Sound

69 Sound Member

Did anyone else notice... Perhaps it's the streaming media file or some other variable, but the guitar sounds phasey and as if it were tracked using an amp modeler.

I'll wait to reserve final judgement until I hear the actual cd (if it ever see's daylight) but I really hope that is not the sound of 15 years in the making!!

11. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I think he means to say that Axl should have had a buggy whip used on him to make him go faster.

At least, that's what I want it say!

12. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

:rotflmao

13. TinFoilHat

TinFoilHat Member

I'm excited but honestly he should have just put out "Catcher in the Rye" with a couple other songs a few years back and called that the album, that song is amazing.

14. Stike

Stike Member

It's not guns n' roses.

15. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Yeah, I think Axl is really setting himself up for an uphill climb on this one. Having listened to the leaked tracks, I must say there is some great stuff there, but the Guns N' Roses name is really going to color the public's perception of this album in a negative way ('no Slash?', 'This doesn't sound like Jungle!').

I like the new tune, good energy, some interesting parts tucked away in the mix....but it sure doesn't sound like GnR. Under any other name this would probably be much better received.

16. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

I've feared that same thing for him. I dig a lot of the new material, as you have to judge it objectively. Many have their mind made up about it before hearing it. I agree with the poster above regarding Catcher In The Rye. It's a great song. I hope Brian May's parts are still in the song.

17. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

That's what I'm most curious about, as I've heard that he kept re-recording whenever there was a line-up change.

18. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I listened... color me unimpressed.

19. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I can't wait to go them, I'll just show up 3 hours late so I only have to wait on Axl for 1/2 an hour.

20. straticus

straticus Member

Link doesn't work.