Chinese Les Pauls on Ebay-ever buy one

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Jun 29, 2006.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Any body ever buy one of the Chinese oe wherever their from Les pauls you see on ebay. Did you get it, was it any good , what did it cost you to get it shipped. They look pretty cool but are these junk a scam or what.
    Very curious to know.:AOK

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

It would cost too much to get it shipped to the USA, and when it got here, you'd have a counterfeit guitar

3. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

4. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Outside of the fact that anyone who tried THAT hard to scam someone can't be trusted to even use WOOD in the guitar's construction (did anyone else see that pic of the masonite LP?), I don't want to be complicit in a criminal act.

Larry

5. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I think its a little scary that they are being made. I wonder if I could tell a fake in person. But still curious if they are any good. If I could get a decent copy for 10 bucks and $150 shipping I would be tempted to get one. I am sure they are junk though

6. RMC519

RMC519 Supporting Member

I believe I saw a couple of Suhr fakes too...

7. nland

nland Member

I've seen those ebay scams and usually the feedback is pretty poor for the sellers. There are however, some decent Les Paul copies on there made in China by Agile and SX. I got an SX LP copy as a gift from my wife and thought the guitar was going to be a piece of junk as the price was about $149. I was totally surprised at how good the guitar felt, as well as how it sounded. I play strats mainly, but this guitar surprised me in terms of build quality, finish, and sound. I did however, even though not necessary, replace the bridge, tailpiece, and tuners with Gotohs, and also replaced the pickups. I'd say the SX is comparable with a Les Paul studio I once owned since making the upgrades. Sounds crazy, I know, but it really surprised me how well it was built. The Agile 3000 is supposed to be one heckuva guitar too. I think for the price, some of the guitars made in China are pretty decent. The only complaint I had about the SX were the pots...pretty cheap and I replaced them with Gibsons. I invested at least $200 into that guitar, but it's still cheaper than alot of mid-priced guitars out there.

8. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I have had about 3 of these brought into my store now and I can tell you first hand they're the crappiest guitars Ive ever seen. I made a guy a/b his with a plain Epi LP Std and the Epi absolutely blew it out of the water in tone and feel. It shut him up real quick about the "deal" he got on his fake Gibson.

btw, anyone vaguely familiar with real Gibsons can tell them from the real thing at just a glance. I can spot these fakes at about 10-15 feet and my eyes arent that good.

9. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

The Agiles are made in Korea, not China and their build quality is better than the SX's. The early Agiles LP clones were closer copies of actual LP's, but as sales increased, the manufacturer decided to stay ahead of the lawsuit trend by modifying the design somewhat. They claim they did it to have a more unique design, but the original inspiration for it's design is obvious.

I own two Agiles - a 2800 DLX with the original horn and headstock, and an AD 2500 DC with P-90's. As an indicator of the ever increasing quality of Korean built guitars, the AD 2500 came with better fret work than the 2800 DLX. This despite the fact that the 2800 DLX is supposed to be a higher grade model. The only difference is in that I purchased the AD 2500 about three years after the 2800.

10. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Yup. The "Gibsun" on the headstock is a dead giveaway.

11. nland

nland Member

You are correct...my mistake. The Agiles are made in Korea. From what I understand, and I may be wrong again, SX guitars are to Agile as Squier is to Fender guitars.

Overall though, these are excellent axes in terms of bang for the buck. Dillions and Tokais (both Korean made) are getting some pretty rave reviews as well. I owned a Dillion DR1500QT which is essentially a PRS copy, and that was a flawless guitar. The only reason I got rid of it is that I'm more a strat player and it was beginning to collect dust.

Back to the original point though...some of the guitars coming out of China and Korea are well built, and offer alot of quality for the money.

12. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!

There have been a few Agiles threads around here before.
    They are a good bang for the buck. Most folks swap out the
    pickups and pots and end up with a great guitar.

13. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

IMHO, your comparisson between the SX/Agile & Squire/Fender is a good one. There are still those who don't want to admit it, but the quality of the imports is getting better...especially the Korean and Chinese makes.

I've been in one or two Agile discussions here Cap'n Fingers, and you're right. I've completely re-wired both of my Agiles with new pots, switches, caps, and pickups. On my 2800 DLX I leveled, crowned, and polished the frets as well. The Agiles are solid, well made guitars that are a modders dream. A little tweaking here and there and you've got yourself a great instrument.

I've got my eye on a Tele copy from Agile right now, but after e-mailing Kurt at Rondo, I'm going to wait for one with a 9-1/2" radius fretboard to come out (the newest release has a 7.25" radius).

14. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

i just bought an agile 3100 and like it more than most of the new pauls i have played. Great fretjob from the factory, bone nut no buzz anywhere, pickups were actually nice but im going to go with a set of voodoo's. I dont believe i could find anything as good for less than 1500. Of course i might be bias though.

15. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

But it's no just that, something about the headstock still seems off. I've seen a couple with the Gibson logo on the wrong angle and all of them seem to have 3 screw truss rod cover instead of a 2 hole cover. They do scream bad copy IMO

Thanks,
    Sam