Chinese TakeOut....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by aynirar27, May 28, 2015.

1. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

always makes me feel like such a fat ass :(
    granted, sometimes I pig out a bit or buy a little extra to have for lunch the next day.
    but when it arrives with like 8 fortune cookies and a handful of white rice pints as if clearly the food I intend on eating should be intended for a family of 7... it's kind of a punch in the gut.
    my fat fat gut.

HOWEVER, the first fortune I opened was "Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart."

they are stepping up their game!

sanrico likes this.
  2. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I understand. I LOVE 'Chinese food' and could eat it morning noon and night but between the salt, fat and msg, it's probably best to have it only on rare special occasions.

sanrico likes this.
  3. grill

grill Member

lol, we call it "take away" here.

no fortune cookies tho.

that's an american thing.

i can't find any mu shu here or a decent beef and broccoli.

even the egg fu young is different.

but ya can't beat what they do here.

altho in Salzburg austria, we had some great chinese from a place that turned out, the owners were from HK and the uncle of the owner went to school with my BIL.

i got to talking with him coz they had a smoking room where the bar was.

GRRRR! even europe is non smoking!

4. stevel

stevel Member

If you can get brown rice, do. Steamed vegetables and brown rice. Healthiest option. I know that's barely Chinese food (at least the Americanized Chinese food we eat) but at least it's healthy. Some sauces, though salty, aren't *that* bad for you - some of the "brown sauces" or fermented black bean sauces aren't too bad (soy or hoisin thickened with cornstarch or thinned with water). Steamed vegetables tossed in sesame oil would still be good for you. It's really the salt, battered stuff (fried stuff) and the white noodles/rice that gets you.

5. aynirar27

My wife and I are moving in about a month or so and there is a supposed "authentic Chinese" restaurant nearby to our house. This is coming from our supposed "authentic Chinese" friend who was born in Brooklyn haha

6. aynirar27

my wife is responsible for ordering the veggies. we really like the steamed veggie dumplings and peanut/avocado rolls that our local joint have.
    i'm a sucker for those boneless spare ribs though!

grill likes this.
  7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Chinese is supposed to be good for you :red less filling and lots of veges :idea

8. grill

grill Member

yeah, they don't exist here.
    (boneless ribs)

chinese are big on dumplings. but the rolls sound very americanized.
    it's like hong kong italian. lol, first time i ate at a place,, i was like,
    [​IMG]

it's as bad as a seafood pizza with thousand island dressing.
    :nuts

9. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

And then...... And then....

10. grill

grill Member

hahahahaha!!! i've used that a lot!! lol!

no one ever got it, tho.

11. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

There's a Chinese mall across the street from work that has a very authentic food court. I'm bewildered by what to actually order and I usually have to ask a coworker to help me out. "Where's the General Tso chicken?" "What's tripe?"

12. archey

archey Member

It's hard to beat general tso's chicken.

13. aynirar27

I did discover "Dandan noodles" recently which is a nice change from the normal menu, even if i only ordered them at first because my name is Dan. I prefer them to lo mein.

grill likes this.
  14. aynirar27

Colonel Sanders is rounding his troops..

archey likes this.
  15. grill

grill Member

pretty much all places here have pics of the dishes and described in chinese and english.

gen tso doesn't exist here and tripe can be very good, usually with pigs blood and liver. lol!

boneless chicken, duck or goose trotters are nice. in fact i have some smoked duck the wife brought home, includes duck necks and feet. when in rome and all that.

duck tongues, i like.

try the fish balls. lol!

you can go to some 7/11's and eat and drink beer, used to be able to smoke too.

i'll eat anything once. you guys just go for it, you might end up liking it.
    and you can get to gross out people and won't have to share.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

If you're ever in Atlanta, GA, head to the Chamblee area. That's where you can find authentic Chinese food here (as well as Korean, Indian and other Asian cuisines). It's very different from the typical Chinese restaurants that cater to Americans.

grill likes this.
  17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

General Tso's chicken is an American invention... I worked a Cantonese style restaurant when I was 15 1/2 (I lied about my age and delivered food using the owner's car. They never asked to see my driver's license although I did have a learner's permit) and the stuff the old man made for us after work was a lot different than the stuff he made for customers. It was all tasty, but he'd say "let's eat some real Chinese food" and whip something up that wasn't on any Chinese restaurant menu I've ever seen, but then again, I've haven't been to China yet.

"General Tso's chicken is a sweet, slightly spicy, deep-fried chicken dish that is popularly served in American and Canadian Chinese restaurants. The dish is most commonly regarded as a Hunanese dish,[1] although it was unknown in China and other lands home to the Chinese diaspora before it was introduced by chefs returning from the United States.[1]

The dish is named after General Tso Tsung-tang, or Zuo Zongtang, a Qing dynasty general and statesman, although there is no recorded connection to him. The real roots of the dish lie in the post-1949 exodus of chefs to the United States."

@grill They have anti-smoking laws in China now? Since when?

grill likes this.
  18. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

What is generally called "Chinese food" here in the USA is Americanized versions of what the Chinese really eat. Beef with broccoli for instance, is an American invention, as are fortune cookies and many other dishes. The Mrs. and I spent the day in Chinatown in NYC years ago, and there, you will find the real thing, and some of that real thing is too extreme for the taste buds of the average American.

I go to a great Chinese restaurant in Wayne, NJ called Chengdu 23 that serves American style and authentic Chinese food. Every time I have lunch there, the place is full of Asian people, which tells me it's good, and it's easy to see why. The food is incredible, and the waiters now know me now, and know what I like. I gravitate toward Szechuan and Hunan style dishes, the hot and spicy stuff.

grill likes this.
  19. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Springfield-style Cashew Chicken. Not in any way Chinese, but I, and almost everyone else here loves it.

Invented by Springfield native David Leong...this city is overrun now with cheap Chinese restaurants, and despite the fact that I enjoy the "finer" things in life, I LOVE some cheap-assed Chinese food, and will gladly visit them far more often that I should.

Guilty pleasure, for sure. Can be had around here for the price of a McDonald's value meal. I'll take this, please.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    grill likes this.
  20. grill

grill Member

my MIL, rest her soul and her age group of relatives used to take me to a yearly "snake dinner"

awesome, all dishes were made with different snakes.

expensive but great stuff. 6-7 courses.

not a stretch for me since i had been using rattle snake in my italian resto in CO, in the 80's.

fried boneless rattler fra diavlo!