Chinese vrs. British Celestions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brianf, Nov 8, 2005.

1. brianf

brianf Member

I have posted this in another thread but thought this would be interesting on it's own.

We can only hope that the quality checks and materials used in China and England are the same.

Here is an interesting story. My Recto 2 x 12 closed back never sounded great. My thoughts were either my Dual Rect. Amp lacked headroom??? or the speakers were not great.

As time went on there was less headroom and less headroom. WTF. Well my thoughts were it may actually be a cabinet buzz. Pulled the back off and all was tight. Pulled the front grill off and whoa.

The little center cap in one speaker was glued on off centre and the bottom part was not glued at all. It was just floating about 1/16 inch from the cone.

The Vintage 30 in question had an Ipswich sticker on the magnet and an Ipswitch white stamp on the frame. I guess this one may have been built in England.

So this bad speaker not only slipped through Celestion's QC but Mesa missed it too. My dealer just gave me a whole new cab. did not even have to wait for a new speaker.

Check out the photo!!!

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/14bfa6bb14875e45bba028a21ed38046/482_p50017.jpg

brianf

2. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Cool - Celestion's new "crescent-ported" speaker!

I've actually had a similar problem on one of those Celestions that just said "Vintage" on it - not a V30. The center cap was separated from the cone for about 3/4".

jz

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

This might answer your question.

Did those speakers Just say Ipswitch England or Made in England?

If it dont have the Made In part they are China Made.

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Exactly.

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Thats a prototype of the new Celestion "Eclipse" speaker line - must have been accidentally released. You'll have to pay more for those, when they're in production.

:D

6. brianf

brianf Member

You are correct. No where did I find Made in England. Just a white stamping that said Ipswich.

The cabinet in question was only about a year old.

brianf

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dem be Chinitas.

I had a Bogner cab that came with a set of those. About 2 months after I got it one of em just quit making sound. The delaer replaced it under warranty and about a month later the other speaker went out. They replaced that and I got rid of em EL pronto.

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

lmao! :D

FWIW, one of the Eminences I bought recently had a dustcap that was just slightly eliptical. Sounds fine...

9. thegame

thegame Member

Whats this? Details please!

10. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Um, I think he was joking...

11. Erik

Erik Member

I think thegame was, too.

12. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

13. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I thought I was just joking too, but you never know when you're really tapping into the collective unconscious and being psychically prophetic. Keep your eyes and ears peeled!!! Rumors sometimes have a way of manifesting.

Hey, beautiful pearls start out as a painful oyster irritation.

- T

:rolleyes:

14. MARCO

MARCO Member

Check this out, I ordered 4-G12H30's a while back but bought 2 from Avatar and 2 from Music 123....anyway, I noticed when I took them out of my cab that 2 said on the white sticker nothing as to where they were made but noticed a small sticker that said made in china, it had the usual G12H30, cone # etc.......then the other 2 said the same thing w/o the small sticker that said made in china but also said "Made In Ipswich England" which I would assume are Uk made speakers. I kept one of them. Is this correct ??