Chip Cards?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RJLII, Apr 24, 2015.

1. RJLII

RJLII Member

So my credit card company sent me two new cards recently. They contain "chips" that are purported to improve security. I've heard reports (urban legends?) that the tech already exists to read these from close proximity and steal credit card data. My card issuer says that's hogwash.

What say the TGP Illuminati?

2. Nelly

Nelly Member

The chip is only read if you put it in a card reader, it's just an electrical connection, no other way to read your data!

We have had chip and PIN cards in Europe for 10 years, I can't remember signing for a purchase in that time apart from in the U.S.

3. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

I have had a chip card for about 6 months now. I use my card for all purchases and avoid using the debit card. I have found exactly 1 merchant who has actually turned on the chip card reader. You would think Target might actually be motivated to do this as they were one of the first big hacks, but no. Still swiping my magnetic strip basically everywhere.

4. Be.eM

Be.eM Member

This is not entirely true. Cards may have RFID chips, and these may cause problems.

5. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

The chip generates a unique transaction number with each use. Even if you electronically read that number once from close proximity, it is already invalid. Now in America, these cards will also still have a mag stripe on them for a few years, so the old mag stripe fraud methods (skimmers) will still work if the POS terminal isn't EMV compliant (able to read chips). And if the card has an account number written on it, you could capture that and the expiration date and possibly use those for 'card not present' (online) transactions.

6. Nelly

Nelly Member

My card has RFID, £20 limit. I'm sure it's not worth the effort and cost for a hacker to make a fake card just to pay for lunch!

7. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Same here, we've had them in Canada for a while now (less than 10 yrs iirc). Prior to the chip I used to get contacted by my banks fraud dept at least once a year to tell me that I had to replace my credit card or bank card because it was used at a location under investigation for credit card fraud.

Haven't had any issues with the chip cards.

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
  9. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Lots of new wallets these days have the RFID blocking built in. Or for a buck you can get a sleeve for the card that does the same thing (the sleeves are a pain though)

10. RJLII

RJLII Member

Thanks to all for the input.

11. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

4 years now....no issues.

12. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

It doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle to have a card with a $30 limit on it either... Or do you mean it has a $30 limit per RFID transaction?

13. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I think it's like, you can do a transaction up to $30 ($50 here) by just tapping your card. Any more and you have to swipe/insert chip and put in your PIN etc.

14. roundaboutmusic

roundaboutmusic Member

yep - had them in Australia for years. No real problems, RFID for a long time too (Visa Paywave, Mastercard Paypass etc) it's great, much faster and easier at the registers.