• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Choice of glass slides...which do you prefer???

jmecale72

I am currently learning some songs with slide on them. I am using a "Blues Bottle" slide which I find kind of bulky and not really working the way I would like it to.

What kind of slides would you recommend...

Thanks in advance!

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
The best I have found are these blown glass slides that are clear with colorful designs around the top. I'm not sure if these are the exact ones I own, but they are essentially the same. Check out: www.silicasound.com

They come in a variety of sizes and are thicker walled at the top to help fit your pinky/finger snugly. Having the top open is key for me so that sweat doesn't build up condensation inside the slide, like with a Coracidan bottle.

dick wiewy

I have big ol' fingers and for years the Coracidan bottle was the only thing that fit. Long
ago I learned to articulate those so changing slide types now would be more of a learning curve than it's worth. I love one of those pretty leaded crystal ones from over the pond based solely upon appearance,

DW.

Marble

funny cbpickin mentioned silica sound, i use one i was given by a friend, they're awesome. Usually I'll go months using a SS or a dunlop or RBNC bottle. Its been the SS for awhile now.

But if you can't make the dunlop coricidin bottle work for you on your ring finger, then you might want to find a way to make it work. its the industry standard used by the best of the best.

StompBoxBlues

Personally, totally opposite to what I thought I would like, found that the Jim Dunlop very thin wall (thin glass) slides are perfect for me. I thought I wanted more mass, but actually for playing on electric guitar, especially one not specially setup for slide (i.e. normal "action") the thin give me a full, and more important cleaner sound.

I kinda liked the coricidin bottle type, except the closed end...I sweat too much and it gets too hot and condensation on it. I like the open top for breathing..

I get a nice full sound with it anyway...

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I use the thickest Dunlop Pyrex slides - have for a lot of years. They're cheap, easy to replace and sound great. A lot of folks around here will balk at these and tell you Pyrex isn't "real" glass. Whatever, they sound and feel right. Good enough for Sonny Landreth, good enough for me.

I am currently learning some songs with slide on them. I am using a "Blues Bottle" slide which I find kind of bulky and not really working the way I would like it to.

What kind of slides would you recommend...

Thanks in advance!
Just FWIW, the Blues Bottle things suck hardcore compared to one of these http://www.rbnc.net/

I totally loved the Blues Bottle thing, and literally played with one of those Real Bottleneck Company slides for 5 minutes and have never touched the Blues Bottle again. There's probably others just as good too, I just got the RBC stuff and really like it, use it every gig. I use the regular Dunlop slides sometimes but just can't stand the bottle thing anymore.

The other thing, for a smaller slide, is you can get a light slide, cermaic works, Rocky Mountain Slides. Those guys are real cool, real nice, good slides. I have a few of their products - I've only paid for one slide from them and somehow he's sent my about three different care-packages with bars and slides only asking that I let him know what I think in return. Worth checking out. Let us know what you end up with!

Jamie

Marble

Just FWIW, the Blues Bottle things suck hardcore compared to one of these http://www.rbnc.net/
how can you say they suck hardcore? I've been ordering RBNC bottles of all kinds for about 3 years now, I first ordered when Scott was around and have enjoyed them all. I've owned 2 dunlop bottles, one from Derek Trucks and another I bought to replace that one. Between Dunlop and RBNC, the biggest difference within the same "class" (weight/length) was the lip style of the bottle. They're both pyrex. The Dunlop is a bit more comfortable, while the RBNC may be a bit more authentic.

But I mentioned I was using silica sound slides mostly now. Every once in awhile I'll get the itch for the coricidin bottle. A trick that Duane Allman did a few times to combat the moisture of the closed end was to fill the slide with the right amount of cotton balls or gauze wrap. It absorbs the sweat and also gives you a tighter feel on the slide. It can be uncomfortable though from my experience in trying it.

But ripping caluses off your damp slide finger from heavy bending while switching between extended lead and slide playing is much more uncomfortable than a tighter slide for 5-30 minutes at a time or however long you use it, IMO
http://www.rbnc.net/

GuitarG

On electric I've been using 'double cut' wine bottle slides for the last few years. The Delta Slider, I get them from Elderly Instruments, is a very well made slide. However currently my favorites are the Booze Blues guitar slides . They are double cut thick walled bottles that sound incredible. I get them from MMI Music in Mobile, Al.
The Delta slider is on the far left next to two homemade wine bottle slides, the Rockslide (an incredibly well made metal slide that everyone should try) and a thick Dunlop.

jmecale72

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on those ring slides. I guess the main thing that is bothering me is the overall bulkiness of a regular slide.

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
I use the thickest Dunlop Pyrex slides - have for a lot of years. They're cheap, easy to replace and sound great. A lot of folks around here will balk at these and tell you Pyrex isn't "real" glass. Whatever, they sound and feel right. Good enough for Sonny Landreth, good enough for me.

Oddly enough I've bought slides from a few of the companies listed here and I always go back to my Dunlop Pyrex slide. I just prefer the sound/feel of it on electrics.

For acoustics, I still use the pyrex to record but I love the one I got from these guys as well....
http://www.rockymountainslides.com/

Dunlop Pyrex. I thinks its a #6 maybe?

Kinda short and fits perfectly on my rin finger and covers from the knuckle to the tip of the finger. Its kinda thick too.

how can you say they suck hardcore? I've been ordering RBNC bottles of all kinds for about 3 years now, I first ordered when Scott was around and have enjoyed them all. I've owned 2 dunlop bottles, one from Derek Trucks and another I bought to replace that one. Between Dunlop and RBNC, the biggest difference within the same "class" (weight/length) was the lip style of the bottle. They're both pyrex. The Dunlop is a bit more comfortable, while the RBNC may be a bit more authentic.
Maybe it was just the one I got but the glass was really thin, not an even thickness all around and it had this milk-bottle lip on either side of the slide that meant you had to hold it the right way all the time or the lip (like where they sealed the two halves together) would rake against the wound strings. I could have just gotten a bad one, and if I did I'll glady take it make and go buy another and try it.

Marble

^^ the dunlop blues bottles don't have seams, like the RBNCs ones. The Big Heart ones do though, and I don't like those much at all.

vintage66

The Dunlop Blues Bottles are my favorite coricidin type slides. I really like wine-bottlenecks best though. I actually like the feel and weight of them even though I use electrics with standard setups and .10's. I like the curve of the glass-matches the fretboard radius (if it's a curved bottleneck). I'll second the Delta Sliders. I like them much better than Bighearts. I've made a bunch myself but the edges on mine come out with a sharp 90 degree angle-the DS's are so smooth that I can do angled 2-string partial chords without the edge having that scraping feeling on the wound strings. Bigheart melts their edges and it's fairly inconsistent-the DS's seem better cut and sanded. My Bigheart was cut poorly (has big chips but melted to smooth it out).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom