Choices, Choices... What telecaster to get...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CaptainPants, Jan 31, 2015.

1. CaptainPants

CaptainPants Member

Okay, first post here, lurking for a while. This topic has probably been covered to death.

Short story, I've started looking for an affordable tele. Started by trying out the Squier Classic Vibe, liked it but found the fret board "gritty" and that was the factor that ruled out that one (they only had one CV at the store so I couldn't try others).

So then I went up in price that I can afford if I sell my old strat that isn't getting played. So next, I've picked up (but can return) a 2014 50s Road Worn tele. Wasn't sold on the relic'ing but the neck was much more comfortable. I like how it sounds and plays, still not one with the look though.

[​IMG]

Still in early days with this guitar, and within return period. When I brought it home, the wife who I thought would poo poo the concept of me and a new guitar, said that she didn't like the look and I should look at up my spending limit to find something better. To my shock and awe, she offered to chip in to help me get a guitar that I really want. :love:

So, today, I'm going to go out and try an American Standard, with transparent crimson red finish w/ maple neck.

[​IMG]

And I can probably get a price break since I found a dealer a few hours away which hasn't up'd the prices to Fenders 2015 price list yet, and my local store will price match other authorized dealers -- so I've only got a couple of days to try this out.

So, any opinions on the MIM 50s Road Worn vs the latest American Standard? Any love for the broadcaster / twisted tele pickups?

I'm pretty new to the world of telecasters, my other electric guitars being the aforementioned Strat I bought used in '92, and a Gretsch 5420 -- which is the guitar I pick up and play more often after the acoustics.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Too bad you didn't see my emporium listing.

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Member

I have a bunch of lower end teles, tried more, but my mainstay #1 go to is my '07 US tele standard.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That american standard is gorgeous. Our Fender dealer had one just like it that I wanted. Get it if you don't mind the tummy cut (on a Tele)...

5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Personally, I always buy used American-made guitars (and amps made in the either the US or UK). I know that they're not going to sound any different than a MIM model and that the components are not necessarily better quality, but they hold their value better and I just like having American made instruments.

I feel like a guitar doesn't really sound its best until it's been played for a couple years, so if I buy used the guitar has already taken the depreciation hit and it probably sounds better than a new one.

The Highway One series is a good option if you can find one: American made with many of the same features in terms of wood and components as more expensive Teles.

Teles are also great guitars to mod because they're kind of pieced together in contrast to more expensive Gibsons that are kind of molded together like pieces of fine furniture. In my Tele I put a Gibson humbucker in the neck position and a Tele sized P-90 in the bridge. It really roars now.

I think the black pickguards look awesome on Butterscotch and blond Teles, but other colors call for white one, especially burst finishes. The red one above does look good, though.

Just my 2 cents.

6. CaptainPants

CaptainPants Member

Okay, I've picked up the Crimson -- most of the dealers have jumped $1569 for 2015 pricing, but I found a dealer that's still at $1299 in Brantford, Ontario. I got a price match. So any Canadian's looking to avoid the price hike because of the dollar drop, has a brief window (until next Friday I believe) to negotiate last years price.

So now I've got the both home, and I've 30 days to play and return one :)

First impressions, RW action is higher but factory set up has fret buzz on 5th and 6th strings around 7th fret. No noticeable fret buzz noticed so far on the American standard. Neck pickup on the standard seems brighter. 1st and 6th strings need better intonation, rest are spot on. Haven't checked intonation on the RW yet, but I'm suspecting it will need to be improved.

The hard shell case is a nice upgrade too, from a gig bag.

7. dazco

dazco Member

Yes....they will sound a lot different. The standards and other modern style teles have certain features that make them sound a lot different. Whether you like it or not is a whole other subject. Personally i will never buy another non vintage style strat or tele. I far prefer vintage style fender tone. But there are those who disagree and you may be one of them. I'll tell you this tho.....look at the worlds best players that use strats and teles and you'll find the player's players use vintage style models far more than not. I'd stick with the roadworn or find a baja or a classic series. With the classic series tho you'll wanna change the pups. They are quite average at best.

8. CaptainPants

CaptainPants Member

Okay, so I kept the crimson red transparent American Standard.

The road worn was good, I liked the sound but the setup from the factory was atrocious. Action too high, odd buzz points. It would take a lot to get comfortable. I dug the thicker neck. And for the relic'ing, for some reason the nicks in the headstock really really bugged me. I don't mind some body wear, but have the head stock feel like it has made 20+ too many collisions with cymbals playing dive bars was excessive.

The American standard did have a different sound, with the twisted tele and the broadcaster. When it came to adjusting setup, the 6 saddle bridge, and mechanics were pretty sweet. Factory setup was almost spot on. Also, the wife liked the transparent crimson red over the relic sunburst, so that sealed it.

Though if I had to select the guitar with the most "twang", it would've been the Squier bronze gold FSR that I first played and brought home. But I still hate the feel of the fretboard, and the grittiness of the frets. Yes, that could have been fixed with a setup...

So, in the end it was official a NGD for me last week.

Now I've got to move some gear to keep with the something comes in, something must go out... looks like I'll be selling my Egnater Rebel 30 tomorrow...

9. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

You can't go wrong with the current American Standards. I'd say right now, Fender's quality control is the best it's ever been.

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I wod return the first guitar and find a road worn Tele in blonde. This would surely be wife-approved and save money versus and American Standard.

11. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

That crimson finish is gorgeous, and you have a Tele benchmark to go by.