Choke for 1955 Two Hole Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by buickwilson, Mar 10, 2008.

1. buickwilson

buickwilson Member

Been looking around for a spec on an original choke in a 1955 Bassman 5E6A. I believe the 5F6A (57-60) had a 14684 choke, and wondering if this choke was used in a 55?

The choke that someone put in this 55 Bassman looks to be similar to a triad chokes that I have seen in a 59 bassman, 58 pro, etc. It's about the right size, yellowish paper, no bell covers. I haven't figured out the numbers on the choke 95-2852 and 343742, but it does look to be built to 50-60's standards for the time.

The amp sounds really good, so I'm fine with what I got, but was wondering if anyone knows what the choke was used in a 1955 Bassman 5E6 or 5E6A?

Here's some background on this amp, for people that may be researching on this version of the Bassman....

The OT in this 55 is a 2820 and PT is 7993 Triad, which I believe are original for the dual rectifier Bassmans. From what I'm finding, it looks like they later went to a 2485 OT, and then to the 45249 from what I remember. I also read that the 2820 and 2485 were standard wound, and the 45249 is interleaved.

Other than the choke, the amp is pretty original, less the usual cap changes, P10r's recones and preamp tube sockets were replaced.

An interesting point is the cabinet on 1955 is a little smaller in width then the 5F6A Bassmans. The chassis is the same size as a Pro, Super, Bandmaster, since it didn't have the mid control that came later with a 5F6A. With the smaller chassis, it like they took a Pro or Bandmaster cabinet and just made it taller to fit the 4x10's. It's a nice size. Bigger then a bandmaster but a little smaller then the usual bassman.

This is my first experience with a dual rectifier bassman, and I think it sounds really good. It's not as loud and slightly less headroom then my 59 bassman, which is a good thing. I had to use a hot plate with my bassman.

This amp seems to be a perfect sound in between the 5F6A, which is a bit big and loud as compared to a 5E5A or 5E7A, that has a great complex distortion when cranked, but can start to get a bit too distorted and compressed when cranked for what I need.

Makes sense given the dual 5U4 rectifiers, 4x10 config, in between cabinet size and OT.

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Those are my favorite tweeds. you are a lucky guy.

They used a 200mA choke, 5 henries(I think)..it's placed in a different spot in the circuit than the 5f6-a. Your other transformers have the right numbers for that amp(original). I guess if you like the sound, all is good? You could also try a mercury replacement for about 20 bucks.

3. Trout

Trout Member

These are very nice ones for the $$$$ also. I have used several of them.

Triad 200 ma 6 henries Data Sheet

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    This is the stuff that makes TGP such a valuable resource. I will save this thread because it starts right at the beginning of the Bassmans first incarnation or edition(what ever) I so appreciate the details you've included.

I've just moved my SS 2007 Aguilar Bass amp which was more then I needed in the power and volume dept for at home.

So I can get Double Duty for Guitar and Bass I am studying up on the different bassman circuits and which would best fill both needs.

Any opinions?

Thanks Friends

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records
    Listening to Schubert-Late String Quartets

Here are some Blonde Bookends

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Thanks for the heads up on those! they look very cool...may have to snag a few for some builds.