choked high e string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by focusbob, Feb 6, 2015.

1. focusbob

focusbob Member

I have two guitars where the high e string sounds choked (strange timber, low sustain) open or fretted. With the way it sounds I would always assume the nut is the problem but given that the problem persists when the string is fretted the nut seems like an unlikely culprit. Other than the saddle potentially being the issue, what else could it be? For one of the two guitars, raising the action at the bridge didnt resolve the issue. Relief is reasonable on both. Thanks!

2. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

what is your action? Maybe you have a higher fret (you can check that with a small ruler)

3. focusbob

focusbob Member

Ive only measured on one of the two guitars but with the action at 2mm or higher the problem is still there and that particular guitar just got a level and crown from sweetwater.

4. Tstyle

Tstyle Member

What kind of guitar?bridge?tailpiece??? More info!!

T.

5. focusbob

focusbob Member

One is a chinese strat copy the other is an esp ltd h-338. Both hardtail bridges both string through. Saddles are standard strat style for both.

6. Ulug

Ulug Member

Are the pick-ups a bit too high up and too close to the strings on the treble side?

7. focusbob

focusbob Member

By sight, they don't seem high on either, but I'll check.