Choose me a boost pedal dearies!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electronpirate, Jul 22, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Would like a boost pedal for my new Egnater MOD 50.

Here are my options:
    -Fulltone OCD
    -ZVEX Super Hard on.
    -Zinky Master Blaster
    -MXR Micro amp

They are in order of which one is presently winning the race.

I've done research, but still on the fence here. Can you list which one you like/dislike, and importantly, WHY?

Open to other suggestions as well, but if is over $200, or requires 'wait time', then it's out. Would even be happy with much CHEAPER options too!

2. Sid

Sid Member

I am really intrigued by the barber ltd...and the hbe germania..

and apart from that the whole menatone line...rd snapper blue collar etc..:dude

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

The OCD is more of an O/D than a clean boost, like the SHO or Micro amp.

Do you need the pedal to have gain or just a level boost?
    I had the SHO and liked it but it is not transparent, it gooses up the highs and lows and can get a little strident.

There are a ton of boosts around that would work well, it just depends on your needs.
    My tip would be an Xotic RC Booster.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

+1...smokin' good box.

5. 8lbs8k

8lbs8k Member

I pretty much play overdriven Marshalls and single-coil guitars, so YMMV, but I didn't like the SHO or the OCD. The SHO was too bright, the OCD sounded too much like a pedal and not enough like a more cranked amp. I recently tried a Micro Amp and liked it so much I went and bought one. It wasn't totally transparent, but nothing is when you're dealing with a starting point that's already saturated. I don't just mean that the frequency response is non-linear (the eq was relatively flat), I mean it sounded a little like an overdrive, but only because my amp was already cranked. I did get a nice volume boost out of it though. For a little more gain, but still in the transparent, natural zone, I use a Nobels ODR-1, which is my favorite dirt box ever. A totally warm, organic, natural, makes your amp go to 11 kind of thing. Sounds great with every amp I've ever used it on. I've only tried the Micro Amp with Marshalls, though.

$.02

6. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I have the z vex and love it. I also use a rc booster and love that too. THey are definitely different sounding boosts. They give a shimmering boost to the clean channel about the only differnce is the rc has a eq on it and the zvex does not, I do use the rc booster more than the zvex.........

7. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Xotic RC is a great booster. You can set it to be a completely clean boost, or you can add a bit of hair if you like. The eq controls are voiced really well in my opinion and give you quite a bit of tonal flexibility.

David

8. trucks

trucks Member

If you can find one, the Lovepedal Twin 60 is wonderful and extremely transparent. It knocked the SHO off my board. The Lovepedal Delux is basically one channel of the Twin 60 so it should be pretty nice as well.

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Looking more and more at the Micro-amp. Seems like it does what I want, and at a nice price.

I guess all I'm looking for is a bit more of the amp's gain, some volume, and presence. Don't need a helluva lot of new personality to it.

Using this to overdrive the SL2 mod, and maybe get a hint of shimmer, drive from the Bassman mod.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Clean boost=TC Jauernig Luxury Drive. Do it.

11. granite

granite Member

I bought a SHO to help brighten up an already dark sounding Orange AD30R amp. It is an excellent boost pedal that is only second to my BJF SBEQ. The SBEQ is tops but it is more than your budget and has about a 4 month leadtime.

The SHO can play two roles, clean boost or OD your amp into a nice natural distorted tone. The SHO also has two outputs to drive two amps if you run things in stereo. A very nice pedal.

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

This is my first and only boost pedal. Search over.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bang for the buck? Micro amp, hands down. But I think its a bit selective in its amp tastes...sounded great with my vox but not with my bad cat. Bought mine for 50 bucks here on tgp...definitely get one!

14. Baggins

Baggins Member

I bought the Bad Bob booster from RGW electronics for my rig from tonefactor.com . I run a Zion Radicaster (H-H) into a Zinky 50w blue velvet. This is a jfet boost, so it does add a little break-up as you turn up the volume. I think I paid $125.

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

16. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

A jfet is the transistor used in the pedal- jfets and mosfets and both are used in lots of boosts.

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

The Xotic RC booster pulls into the lead.

18. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd suggest the Fulltone Fulldrive II and here's why.

The clean setting (toggle up) will give you two channels of boost, along with some tone sculpting options via the tone and drive knobs. The second channel can add yet another level of boost on top of that. So two boosts there.

And if you toggle down to FM or vintage mode, you've got some mighty fine overdrive colors to play with.

The clean channel is fairly transparent, but I've found that it "stiffens" the sound a bit (for lack of a better word). This can be tamed with the tone knob and isn't intrustive at all. In fact I kind of like it.

Overall, it's a very versatile pedal that I often use strictly as a clean boost.

19. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Not a bad idea fifthstone, but I've already got quite a bit of versatility in my rig. 4 great channels, and I think the addition of a simple boost for each of those channels is going to give me all sorts of options.

It's why I want to stay away from too many bells and whistles pedals. I'm more of set-and-forget kind of guy.

20. Coach

Coach Senior Member

How about a Durham Electronics Sex Drive for $195? ;-)