Choose the ODs to add to my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Jan 24, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I'm realy into kind of vintage pop rock/alt country/brit pop/low gain/almost acoustic. If you figure it out you won't win aything but you gain my appreciation:) Just to name a few:
    Beatels
    Byrds
    Who
    Small Faces
    Dylan
    R.E.M.
    (early) Stones
    John Martyn
    the Smiths
    Blur
    the Verve
    La's
    David Gray
    Ryan Adams
    Crowded house
    Modest Mouse
    Death Cab For Cuties
    Kings of Convenience
    Beth Orton

Now these are my ODs:

Mojo Hand Cream Pie (love it)
    Timmy (love it)
    Zendrive (not 100% satisfied, but I like how it stacks with Timmy)
    Menatone Fish Factory (impressive, a keeper, but maybe I need to add another TS, a less trasparent more bassy one)
    HAO Sole Pressure (it adds sweet bass to my Brunetti Mille amp and stacks perfectly with everyting, leave it on almost all the time)
    Keeley JAVA (I love the "what's the frequency Kenneth" R.E.M. tone!)
    OCD (I love the harmonics, but have to clean up the guitar vol to use it)
    Menatone TBIAC (when I'm in need of some Vox is perfect)
    DA MOAF (my last stop for a good Muff!)

on the way

HOT CAKE

SOLD!

Sparkle Drive (great, maybe I sould have kept it but I didn't need the clean/dirt knob anymore, I have it on the looper...looking for another TS with bottom)
    T-Rex Moeler (great but too subtle, read above for the clean/dirt knob)
    Fulldrive 2 (not at all my kind of thing)
    MENATONE King of the Britains (I need something with a marshall voice. During the Modest Mouse tour, in June, I saw it on the Johnny Marr pedal board and said: Yummy...I used it on low gain only and It was a shame anyway it sounded too modern and too gainy for my needs)
    Silver Kiss (great disappointment!)
    Analogman Sun Face Sundial boc 108 silicon vers (great but too trebly with my amp, looking for a darker germanium Fuzz Face)

The ones I' thinkin' about (just for the record):

Box Of Rock (for the Marshall taste, but I'm concerned about its bassy issue)
    MI AUDIO Blue Boy (a TS with a lot of knobs!)
    Keeley Rat (I used to have the Vintage reissue. Great but too big for my board)
    MENATONE Foxy Brown (I'm courious)
    Hartman SFZ (germanium and silicon fuzz, both worlds together)
    Blackstone OD (just courious)
    Barber LTD (I've been told it's a TS, not so sure...but the samples sounds so good)
    Barber Barb eq (might give the Sole Pressure Bassmann flavour and more...)
    BJF Honey Bee (too close to the Foxy Brown?)
    Lovepedal COT 50 (an alternative to the BOR for low gain Marshall sound?)
    Lovepedal Eternity

So,what would you add to my pedal board?
    Why?
    Any suggestion is welcome!:BEER

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

What guitar and amp are you using?

3. micjonga

micjonga Member

Right now there are two pedals that I'm really digging that you do not have on your list!

Xotic BB (Very cool pedal more marshall type tone slightly compressed but in a good way when playing at volume. I like it for HB and SC guitars.

CMATMODS SIGNA Drive- This might be one of the best and most versatile pedals I've ever owned. I'm very tempted to purchase another one to uses in a different application on my board. The coolest thing about this pedal is the dynamic response when playing it. Strum easy on the LO clip and it sounds clean, dig in and it just talks back to you like a pushed tube amp would. I use it right now before my BB and use it for more of a LO Overdrive for Country, Blues sounding stuff. It's capable of so much more but I just love the LO setup for now.

4. strattitude

strattitude Member

The Blue Boy deluxe is great for low/med natural and transperant gain. Can also get more fuzzy if you need that. VERY versatile.

I also love my Clark/Barber gainster with my Tweed Deluxe clone. Also great and natural. Great dynamics. Cranked tweed tone.

The Xotic BB is not bad either. Not as open sounding though, but great at what it does.

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I own:
    MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe-great pedal,versatile but will always have some compresstion. I love it for Tele. (BTW Blues PRO loves my Strat, no compression) Get price!
    Blackstone: (old version no trim screws on top) Nice and bright overdrive but old version not at all versatile, One Trick Pony. Almost hard rock overdrive sound, again bright! Like Silver Kiss but MOSFET sound.
    Lovepedal FAB50 (like COT50) Simply love it!!! The best pedal for my bluesy strat overdrive. Sounds up front and very professionial compared to most other pedals. SIZZLE!
    Cmatmods Signa Drive- still on the fence with this pedal, it is versatile with 3-way toggle switch. IMO sounds better for mid-high gain like ZZ Top. havent had good luck as a low gain pedal.
    Menatone Howie- (new 7 knob 1 switch) Got bad reweiws in here but it's my 2'nd fav pedal. I use it as a mid feq. boost and multiplyer somehow (?) It's hard to dial in but it makes everything sound 3-D with the mids, stacks very well and has a seperate Drive footswitch w/ level and drive control controls!
    Clark/Barber Gainster- Too dark for me, has great controlled bottom end, but I can get the Howie to sound just like it and more. So I will be selling it.
    Barber Tone Pump EQ- Again versatile but for me lacks that up front sound, needs some more presence or girth (yes I adjusted the internal pots). Have not giving up on Barber, I also want to try LTD, Small Fry and others.

6. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

BRUNETTI MILLE very Fered-ish clean, but not so much bass...

7. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Not a big fan of Xotic, but it's just my taste;-)
    I'm going to read more about Signa Drive! Thanks...

8. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

More courious about Blue Boy...
    Blackstone very Silver Kiss? I Better give it up...
    COT 50...must try it
    Signa Drive...you're the second to name it! I'm definitely courious now!
    Howie? Great but not for me...and it's suposed to be in the Zendrive zone...

9. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Sorry but I FORGOT TO MENTION:

LOVEKRAFT MOJO DRIVE (for a Landgraff kind TS)

LOVEKRAFT CHUPACABRA or FREAKSHOW BROWN RABBIT (2 alternatives to Keeley Rat).

10. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Blues Boy Deluxe would be excellent for your Alt country sound. It also has a character knob that will fatten up the notes, for Blues and Rock. Can't go wrong with this pedal!

Yeah I love my Silver Kiss, but I thought I'd tell you bout the Blackstone anyways. Maybe someone can tell us about the newer version's?

11. 89strat

89strat Member

A good old Rat works every time. Set the drive at noon and go from light overdrive to heavy crunch by turning your guitar's volume.

I'm in a cover band, playing a wide variety of stuff and constantly try to keep my board relatively small. I've been using a jekyll and hyde lately with very good results. You really have to spend some time with the knobs, but you can get just about every sound that you've listed out of it.

12. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

13. micjonga

micjonga Member

Tone is soooo subjective. I owned a MI Audio Blues Boy and a Blues Pro prior to getting the Signa. I didn't care to much for the Blues Boy deluxe as much as the Blues Pro, I really did like that pedal but for me it liked my ASAT more than my Suhr. The Signa works with both and to me really is more open sounding when I use it with my Suhr neck 60lp pup.

I think you'll do like the rest of us and buy/sell/trade until it falls into place or you get GAS again and start the cycle all over. Funny thing and gross as well, I wear an in-ear monitor system using just the left ear with a Shure E5 bud. I went to the urgent care recently complaining of an ear infection and they said my left ear only was almost closed with WAX.....gross....but when they cleaned it out, holy cow...I hear more complexity now than I ever did in the pedals that I own. I may have to start the oh freakin process over again now that I can hear and try all the pedals I've passed on out once again! :)

Good luck and get your ears checked too :) lol

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'd recommend an E.

15. jb70

jb70 Member

i would try the barber ltd version 2 (newest one). it's supposed to be more open than the original ltd with more bottom end. you might also like the barber small fry for the jangly stuff.

16. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I have tried pretty much everything on the lists.
    I do like the Signa Drive.

One to add though is the NOC3 Firefly. I found I liked it better than the Signa. Both are great pedals at great prices BTW.
    It is great for rhythm work and low/mid gain.

That and the Eternity on my board are all I need.

17. codyj84

codyj84 Member

My favorite OD pedal is my Keeley modded BD-2. Beautiful overdrive, but transparent to retain the tome of your guitar.. Couldnt imagine my board without it.....

18. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

If you have the scratch, I would go with the E.

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I am thinking that you don't have a TS 9/808 equivalent on there...always sounds good in front of the Zen...

20. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

But how Tube Sreamer-ish is it?