Choose your RI Fender Big Iron

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CoachD, Oct 11, 2018.

What's your favorite Fender RI Big Iron

1. Bassmam LTD

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. '65 Super Reverb

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. '65/'68 Twin Reverb

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. CoachD

CoachD Member

I know It's cool to dis big amps now, but if you ever play 60's/70's Country (think Waylon)/American Rock (think Elvis or Roy Orb) outdoors you know why you really can't live without one...

2. oansun

oansun Member

Lol, imagine dissing big amps

3. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I like my HP Tweed Twin indoors too...

4. oansun

oansun Member

LP Tweed Twin for me

5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

6. InkStained

InkStained Member

Who's dissing these amps? Isn't the Bassman regularly hailed as the greatest amp ever, to the point of cliche?

7. GhostBath

GhostBath Member

I can't say I'm a fan of Super Reverbs in general and I think the 65 Twin reissue isn't a very compelling reissue, so by default that leaves the Bassman from your list. I too, however, like the HPTT. I also like the Suhr amp Bella Reverb. In 44 watt mode it's a pretty serious clean amp. It maybe reminds me a bit of an old Gibson married with a blackface Fender.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Of those gimme a super

9. CoachD

CoachD Member

Only reason the HPTT isn't included is because the others are (well) under $800 (used) frequently. Pretty easy to find too.

To me it's not the volume they push that makes them special. It's the authority they can push the E and A strings on runs like the intro to Pretty Woman.

10. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

The Super Reverb ist the best amp ever made. There's just something really magical about these 4x10 being pushed when you crank the amp. IMO Fender nailed it with their RI of the Super. So my vote goes to this one...

11. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I went with the Super.
    Had the LTD for one night and it didn't play nice with my dirt pedals like I was hoping it would. Honestly, I didn't play around with the EQ or channel-jumping, etc, so I wouldn't say I gave it a fair shake; however, the Super took pedals right out of the box. Just dialed down the bass a bit (this thing has a ton).

12. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Always wanted an LTD, they sound amazing. But I've made do quite well with my modded 410 tweed DeVille. Here's to headroom!

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  13. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

For a rock band, or a pedal platform, I would vote for the Bassman. For classic country, I voted for the Twin. The 65 Twin ri has been around a long time, and the early ones are due for maintenance at this point. I think most of the bad press they get is due to poorly maintained backline examples. They often need some attention right out of the box, power tube bias, and a adjust of preamp voltages go a long way to making them sound like the amp they were named for.

14. e???

e??? Member

Kinda tough. The ltd bassman can get so warm and nice (so cool with p90's), but the beefiness of the 68 custom twin with it's shimmer and depth... That's tough. Super reverb RI isn't bad either, but I'd go with a real silverface for the same price if I was going for a super reverb.

15. CoachD

CoachD Member

LTD is the lightest by about 10 pounds.

TRRI can be found for cheap.

Super + FD2 can do just about anything.