Choose your strat pickups here!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gucka, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gucka

gucka Member

Hello

For a chimey, clear, vintage vibe from the neck and middle pups and a pushed, fat sound from the bridge that still remains its strattines and works great with od/distortion. Which set would you choose for playing jangly pop and rock with an American Vintage -62 strat into a Vox AC-30?

* Duncan Surfers w/ Custom Bridge
    * Van Zandt Vintage+ w/Blues in the bridge
    * Suhr Fletcher/Landau Standard

Thanks!

-thomas

2. LReese

LReese Member

Any of the 3...

I've got the Surfers - all 3 pickups the same (6.2K). No problems with balance or being icepicky. All in the adjustment of the pickups.

If you want a hotter bridge - might I suggest a tapped pickup rather than the hotter bridge and a 4 pole switch so that #4 position is middle + tapped bridge PU. What I think would be nice is a Twangbanger with a 6K tap.

3. wiggumpi

wiggumpi Member

Hate to throw another idea in the mix, but I've been a huge fan of Kinmans for the longest time.

4. gucka

gucka Member

You're welcome, but I don't know what 'tapped' means. What's the difference in sound compared to a hotter PU?
    and
    i don't want to add switches and stuff to the guitar. The original look is important ;)

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

just like the name implies... spanky,chimey, vintage specs....bridge plate on the bridge pickup (i added one took 10 minutes) and its got more low end...perfect...very classic strat tones..i would think a killer tone combo with your vox!

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle54.asp

6. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

I've tried many many real SC pickups and here is my best set :

- Van Zandt Vintage hot bridge model (6,25K) in neck position
    - Tonerider Pure vintage RW/RP (5,9K) in middle position
    - Lindy Fralin Blues bridge model with plate (6,9K) in bridge position

All positions sound great, especially 2 and 4, SUPER quacky !

I would like to use Seymour Duncan SSL1 in neck position but it's out of phase with other pickups (reversing the wires cause more noise)

For noiseless operation, I use 2 Dimarzio 61 and one Kinman Woodstock Plus (bridge position).

7. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

I have the fralin callaham vintage hots underwound. Does the trick!

8. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

"Tapped" means two output wires, one vintage (when combined with the middle PU) and one hotter (for lead). A push-pull or push-push control will help you to retain the original look.

9. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

This is my list...

Strat Pups – Vintage sound
    Lollar Blonde - N-5.5, M-5.7, B-5.9 (Alnico II) try Blonde bridge, Blonde middle and Tweed neck
    note: Alnico II magnets are less powerful, therefore, can be set closer to strings.
    (also try Special, Blonde, Blonde)
    Lollar Tweed - N-4.7, M-5.1, B-5.6
    Suhr FL Classic (Fletcher-Landau) - N-, M-, B-6.5 - $74.95
    SD Designs Red House www.sdpickups.com Dave Stephens $85 each
    SD Designs Fat Red House www.sdpickups.com Dave Stephens
    SD Designs Tall Texan www.sdpickups.com Dave Stephens (flat)
    Van Zandt True Vintage (staggered)
    Fralin Real 54’s N-, M-, B-6.8 (Alnico III)
    Seymour Duncan APS-2 Alnico II (flat poles) 6.4K DC resistance
    Seymour Duncan SSL-2 Alnico V (flat poles) 6.6K DC resistance in bridge - $52.95
    Tonerider TRS-1 – Alnico V $40 each www.tonerider.com
    Tonerider TRS-2 – Alnico V $40 each www.tonerider.com
    Fender Custom Shop ‘54’s
    Fender Custom Shop ‘69’s
    Wolfetune Cub
    Fusion Pickup www.has-sound.com
    Anderson SA1
    Mooretone

10. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

duncan antiquities are great. Add a fralin bass plate on the bridge pickup and you should be set.

11. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I have a Fralin bass plate but haven't used it yet. My concern is that it would make the guitar more microphonic. The idea here is that unshielded metal can play the role of an antenna.

12. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well since you have one youll notice the plate is coated/covered in wax..ive put one in and found no extra hum or buzz..or i should say since its now "more powerful" or whatever its got more bass,beef etc. so it in turn is a bit louder of a pickup? maybe making it a little noisier??? but im splitting hairs on that.
    put it on !!:)

13. LReese

LReese Member

Tapped is a 2 mode pickup - can be switched from a twangy sound to a fatter more P-90 kinda sound... You hook up an output wire for part of the coil (say at 6k) and wind more wire on the pickup coil and have another output wire (say at 8 to 10K). This should give you a fairly traditional M+B sound and a fatter lead position with more output.

14. killer blues

killer blues Member

+1! Best strat pickups in my opinion. I also have a set of vanzandts, had lollars and suhrs. These are the best

15. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I like the idea of tapping at 6k and now I'm wondering what the hottest Alnico II pup is?

16. eru

eru Member

probably agreed.

I also really like the Suhr FL pickups, but they need a bassplate on the bridge just like just about every strat I've played. Callaham makes one for $9 that there's nothing wrong with...it made the stock bridge pickup in my G&L Legacy playable.

17. gucka

gucka Member

Actually i have a set of Kinman Avn-Blues installed right now, but to me they are really compressed sounding and though the bridge sounds ok, i don't really dig the fat, bluesy sound of the neck/mid PU. I am looking for a more open, airy sound. Thanks anyway!

18. gucka

gucka Member

Hey, checked the link. Looks really good and easy on the wallet too for a custom set!!!

19. gucka

gucka Member

Yeah, lots of folks here talks about Fralin, but i also heard that they can be thin and polite sounding. I'm basically a rock player so i don't mind a little hair around the notes. My Kinmans are too polite. I should mention that i haven't tried the Fralins, so i don't really have my own opinion on them...I will definetly check them out. Thanks!