• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Choosing a Gretsch Duo Jet...

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking at getting a Gretsch Duo Jet but am having a hard time deciding on the 6128T Players Edition or the 6128-59. While the PE has the locking tuners, pinned bridge and single 3 way selector switch I hear that the Bigsby isn't the greatest match (due to break angle). The 59' also has a pinned bridge and according to some users better pickups. Any suggestions? There is no where close to me that has any Japan made Duo Jets, only the Electromatics which aren't bad guitars for the money.

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
Are the bridges pinned on the Harrison model? I would prefer that option as I had a 6120DSW years ago with an unpinned bridge and it was a pain.

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
Those look great. I was looking at the 6128T Blue Pearl but it had the problematic Bigsby. I am going on Sunday to check out a 53' Duo Jet and see how I like the neck shape and pickups.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I'd stay away from anything with a Bigsby, period. If I get another Gretsch, it'll be a $499 Electromatic G5220 with a stop tailpiece.

ultradust

I as well am not a fan of the stiffness of B7s on a Duo Jet, and would go for the G6128T-59 with B3 (later switching out the Space Control bridge for something else).

But that being said, if you want less squish and more sustain and are new to Duo Jets in general, a Players Edition with B7 will likely suit your fancy just fine. It also has a 3-way pickup selector instead of one in addition to the 3-way tone selector on the G6128T-59, so the upper horn is less cluttered and wont' get banged about if you have a wild right hand. I'm admittedly recommending against my personal preferences, but I have a feeling it just might be for the better in your case.

It all depends on what you need from a Jet.

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I'd stay away from anything with a Bigsby, period. If I get another Gretsch, it'll be a $499 Electromatic G5220 with a stop tailpiece.
Didn’t have any luck with the Bigsby or just prefer a stop tail?

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Didn’t have any luck with the Bigsby or just prefer a stop tail?
Both, actually. I have had guitars with Bigsbys, and I always had to change bridges or have the nuts adjusted to keep the guitars in tune. They also add weight.

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
The ones I am looking at have pinned bridges so no need for tape.

fishman919

Gold Supporting Member
I had a 6128t a few years ago before the players editions were released. I really disliked the “mud” switch so this decision would be easy for me - get the players edition. I did not use the bigsby enough to be a factor, and like others have said there are solutions to the non-pinned bridge. The only reason I sold it was because it was a little on the heavy side (8.5 lbs).

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
I plan on using the Bigsby otherwise I would shop around for the ones with the fancy tailpiece (not the V). I am checking out the VS 53' Duo Jet tomorrow so hopefully I will have a better idea of what I want. Not too worried about the control layout of the 53' vs. the 59'. I grew up on Les Pauls so not a big deal. There is just a little confusion on the vintage select series. Is the rosewood base pinned to the body or are they (Gretsch) saying that the aluminum bridge is pinned to the rosewood base?

mikepittarelli

Silver Supporting Member
I plan on using the Bigsby otherwise I would shop around for the ones with the fancy tailpiece (not the V). I am checking out the VS 53' Duo Jet tomorrow so hopefully I will have a better idea of what I want. Not too worried about the control layout of the 53' vs. the 59'. I grew up on Les Pauls so not a big deal. There is just a little confusion on the vintage select series. Is the rosewood base pinned to the body or are they (Gretsch) saying that the aluminum bridge is pinned to the rosewood base?
I have the '53. The rosewood base is pinned. There are slots in the base so it can be adjusted a bit. The aluminum bridge slides onto the posts/screws attached to the base. Mine flopped forward and stayed there the first time I used the Bigsby. I replaced it with a Tru Arc bridge.

Waxhead

I am looking at getting a Gretsch Duo Jet but am having a hard time deciding on the 6128T Players Edition or the 6128-59. While the PE has the locking tuners, pinned bridge and single 3 way selector switch I hear that the Bigsby isn't the greatest match (due to break angle). The 59' also has a pinned bridge and according to some users better pickups. Any suggestions? There is no where close to me that has any Japan made Duo Jets, only the Electromatics which aren't bad guitars for the money.
My rec is a Jet with.........

- pups with either TV Jones Classics or Gretsch HS Filtertrons.
- Bigsby with no tension bar.

pinned/floating bridge - no issue either way.
locking tuners you can install in later easy and cheap.

PE Gretsch are not any better or higher quality - they just have a few features different to the stock prolines.
Features you may, or may not, prefer.
Most of the time I don't - like bigsby's with a tension bar for example :)

baiff

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all of the replies. I made the mistake today of trying a Duesenburg Starplayer. Super nice guitar but more expensive then the Gretsch.

Waxhead

Thanks for all of the replies. I made the mistake today of trying a Duesenburg Starplayer. Super nice guitar but more expensive then the Gretsch.
I've only seen/played 2 Dusey's.
Those 2 were no better than any Gretsch proline imo for a lot more $$

Trending Topics