Choosing between the Bogner Shiva, Bruno CT-22, Fuchs ODS and Two Rock. tough choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, Oct 10, 2006.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I'm on the fence in terms of several different amp possibilities to go with my Lentz DL-90... Bogner Shiva, Fuchs ODS-50, Two Rock Emerald Pro or Custom Artist, as well as the Bruno CT-22...

I'm playing alot of Blues and Blues Rock. Especially alot of SRV... alot of the Bruno clips I've heard sound very "polite" and "polished" sounding. Can it do the more raw Chicago Blues and SRV tones?

Does the Bogner Shiva really stand up in terms of tone quality with the other amps mentioned?

Any additional information you can provide would be much appreciated.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a K&M Custom 50 with loop #22...I do SRV,and many other blue styles on the amp-Not possible to make a bad choice getting ANY Two-Rock...they all sound very good...

3. henkebarn

henkebarn Member

I haven't tried the other amps, but the Shiva is really one of my all-time favourites.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

From what I'm hearing/reading about the Shiva, it has better cleans than the Two Rock and Fuchs, and it has the OD channel that the Bruno doesn't have, and it is less expensive than all the others I'm considering...

Is the Bruno clean better than the Shiva or just different?

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

All great amps. For the SRV thing though, nothing will TOUCH a Cowtipper. Nothing. get it with a bright switch and an overdrive pedal of choice, (Fulldrive II for me), and be done with your tonequest forever. Tony Bruno is the friggin MAN. :AOK Your headaches should be "Do I want a Cowtipper 22, 35, or 45?" :dude On that one, I can not help you. You need them ALL. Lol!

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have A/bd the Cowtipper with Shivas of every configuration. A complete no contest. A Fender SRRI will eat up a Shivas cleans.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

How many watts do you need?

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Here's my quick take:

1. The EL-34 Shiva is dark and shiny. It can sound very good, but it doesn't sound like it's for what you want.

2. The ODS-50 has more grip and body than the Shiva. I've only had one for a few hours though so I can't say that much more.

3. I don't like any Two Rock I've come across so far.

4. I only have experience with a couple Brunos, but of what you have listed, that might be the one I would try first.

5. For what you want, I would probably start with one of my other amps. It depends on your playing personality which one. TGA-3 leaps to mind.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I'm playing alot of small clubs and doing studio gigs. Occasionally I do bigger theatre and festival gigs. I am not ever playing in bands with another guitarist but a few of the drummers I play with are amazingly loud... for the portability factor I tend to favor a head/cab situation over a combo amp

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's more like different, but my personal preference is for the Bruno. I can definitely see how some people would like the Shiva better though.

My Bruno of choice for this application would be the Underground 30. That might seem like the wrong answer, except I know a guy that plays in this style with a Tubescreamer and a UG30 and he gets the job done in spades.

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I've only had my Shiva since friday and I gigged with it saturday night in our most demanding low volume venue and it shined! It had super warm cleans and sweet buttery gain sustain for solos.I was floored by the rich EL34 tones with tons of response.

12. PFCG

PFCG Member

i say the two rock, because i own one and for me it does everything i want it to do. But go play em all and you may like one more than another, id check out a kotch multitone also, and maybee a carr or something. Everyone makes a good amp these days. or you could always buy them all. The Two Rock cleans cannot be beaten, and the od is amasing. so many options in a nice little package. Enjoy the search, no one persons opinion is 100% final, there just personal feelings, In the end its about what you like, not what we like.

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I play in a Clasic Rock Jam band every week and I've A/Bed my Fuchs ODS50Stock SLX with a Bogner EL34 a few times at bedroom volumes and Loud gigging volumes. For what we do.......Cream, Allmans, Skynerd, The eagles,Johnny Winter, Jimi, ZZ Top ect. The Bogner is hard to beat IMO.

I've owned several Brunos including the orginal CowTipper100 prototype........Probably the best cleans on the planet. But AJ you say you can afford only 1 amp I'd defintely do the Bogner or the Fuchs ODS50. The most versitle of the bunch.

Stock SLX? I'd probably get a Bogner.

Lets see what Scotts Mods do for me before I comment any Further. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I recently got a Tone King Meteor II 1x12, the 4x6V6 version. I am Amazed at how good it sounds! I've used it mostly in 1/2 power mode (2x6V6) and it sounds huge, and it hangs with my guitar/bass/drums/keys blues-rock band and my louder guitar/guitar/bass/drums rock band. The voicing of the amp is remarkable.......it sits in the mix Extremely well with a BF-Fender-Inspired voice, chimy top end and big tight bottom. I use it with a s/s/h Strat type Suhr and leave a TIM od pedal on all the time, controlling clean to scream from the guitar's volume control. The amp has this magical blend of compression and spank.......that and the voicing make for an amazing sounding amp.......best I've ever had! It is also surprising to me how big it sounds for a 1x12, Mark Bartel obviously spent some time developing the cab to make it uber-responsive. It is relatively lightweight, too, at 45 lbs. I used the amp at an outdoor gig in full power mode and with a 1x12 ext cab......it sounded absolutely glorious!

I've been through alot of amps (Germino, Aiken, TopHat, Bruno, Dr Z, Carr, Allen, etc...) and this one floats my boat like no other.

Oh, and btw, it also had a "lead" channel. It is a very touch responsive "tweed on steroids" type sound that requires alot of volume to get it sounding good (it relies on power tube saturation). If the venue permits........

Also, fwiw, the three-knob reverb on this amp is the best I've ever heard.......it goes from sublime to surf with the greatest of ease! :)

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I heard that. From the soundclips I've listened to, I really love the way the Shiva w/EL34's sound and sit in the mix. Really great tones... but then soundclips can be deceiving...

However, then you say this:
    And that's the thing I'm hearing from alot of people, especially in regards to the Bruno Underground 30 head. If it truely has the best cleans on the planet, I can always use a pedal to boost it into scream mode...

even though I can only afford one amp at this time (although I 'spose one could argue that if I think I might be able to swing a Two Rock Sig, then I could afford both a Bruno AND a Shiva or Fuchs, LOL, but really the Sig is a stretch dollar-wise for me, but I'll stretch like that if I have to) *quality is more important to me, much more important to me, than versatility*

16. m3g

m3g Member

I used to own a Shiva w/ 6L6's and thought the clean tones were some of the best I had heard.

Now I own a Bruno CT-45, and I agree with Tag that these cleans are hard to beat.

I also run a fulldrive II with the CT-45 and it sounds excellent, not quite like my ODS30SLX, which I love playing with the mid boost on. I like the fulldrive/CT-45 with more of a scooped eq. Both of these are a big improvement over the overcompressed lead channel of the Shiva 6L6.

I have no experience with the Shiva EL34 version, but from what I gather (mainly from this forum), the cleans are comparable to the 6L6 version, and the lead channel is a big improvement over the 6L6 version.

oh, and Go Badgers!

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

OK. Now we are getting somewhere. If a good clean tone is all your after. Look no Further.........Tony Bruno is your man. But he has no Master Volume so forget getting a good Rock Tone at practice levels.

Tony's amps Rule but are usually 1 Trick ponies. Unless you can afford several like Tag........I'd really make sure you can live with just the one Amp. Also forget about talking to him about anything like Mods...........he likes to build amps, not talk about them. Everything will go through Ultrasound. I used to be really good friends with the man.........he's turned into a recluse.

I really like the Cleans BFB gets out of his Bogner when we play. He plays a slew of PRS's through it and it sounds wonderful.

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have a two rock and a carr rambler. For SRV-type blues tones you want a non-master volume amp that you can turn up until it starts distorting. If you're playing small venues, size the amp for that venue - a Deluxe Reverb is probably more than powerful enough. Then add your favorite Tube Screamer and you're done. You need to be able to TURN-UP a clean channel for the base tone. That'll work better than using the gain channel of a channel switcher.

The Two Rocks are too powerful to turn up the master to get to SRV-type tones, IMO. Same with the Shiva or any other 50 watt amp. You'll get closer with the approach I outlined above.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I really liked the Master Volume circuit on the Shiva. But no doubt and the very reason I choose to Mod my Fuchs instead of just selling it and getting a Shiva is it has the best interactive master Volume ever designed. Andy just deserves serious kudos for his design. It turned me off at first but after I got the hang of it and realized hos the different gain stages work together.........its just hard to find something else now. So I choose to get MORE out of my Fuchs. :AOK

20. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Sure are some great amps on the market today! I am just digging this Shiva as it takes me to some great places in tone.We gig tomorrow night were I can dial her up off <1 so it should be fun!