Choosing our weapon..

Pedalfinatic

No, by weapon i don't mean the perfect guitar. I didn't exactly know which thread to post this certain quiestion to, so i thought this was a pretty general board. Basically, i'm in a band with three people, myself on rhythm and leads also singing, a bassist who also sings, and a drummer. We've been talking about a fourth member, as a possibility. We don't want 5 members.. tad too much. So we want to either get a keyboardist or another guitarist. I'm into a lot of hendrix and robin trower... (and i mean a lot of robin trower) but at the same time i'm into this riff based rock 1969-1974 alice cooper glen buxton - michael type thing. So you can see my range of style here amd everything in between. I like doing the single guitar stuff because it stands out, it's not because i don't want to share leads (because come on, who realistically.. atleast TODAY, is going to play solely rhythm unless you really have a passion for it and some do but these guys are hard to find) but again it's not a lead issue, in fact, i love switching off, its great! But i love this trower stuff where the guitar stands out itself and most of his stuff is hard to play with two guitars.. or could atleast be tricky, same as the stuff i write, mostly psychedelic blues with some more coopery sounding progressions here and there, but i think kicking on a univibe and some fuzz and you get a guitar tone that should stand out. So there comes my question. A keyboardist.. well.. organist :3. we would be able to stand out in our own ways, switch off solos (which would be really really cool!) and you have that much more versatilty to your sound. Sorry this is getting to be a long post, just trying to explain as much as possible, no matter how confusing this post may be getting.. so i pose the question to all of you. If you were in my spot, or just your overall experiences in general, another guitarist? Or keyboardist? Can't wait to hear the answers come rolling in :)

EADGBE

Another guitarist would come in handy. The Beatles had two and it didn't hurt them.

BADHAK

Massive Buxton/Bruce fan here and I can totally understand what you're going for with that dual guitar, intertwining, weaving thing inspired by the Stones.
Helped that those early AC group songs were so special.

To me, the Trower thing is very much a different vibe. Not about the song, not about the band, just setting the mood for Trower to do his lead guitar thing.

You could make it work if the second guitarist can switch of his Bruce/Buxton hat and put on his 'support the lead guitarist 'hat. But more than likely he will do his natural thing and it will either clash with your vision, or it will enhance it and take it where you didn't expect. Unless you see yourself as the focal point ofvthe band, don't be too controlling. Relax and see where it takes you.

cap10kirk

If anything, I'd add another guitar before I added a keyboard. But hey, what do I know, my band doesn't even have a bass.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
No matter which way you go, you've got to get the right player to compliment what you're doing or you need to adapt to meet in the middle.

I've been playing in the same blues rock trio plus singer for over 25 years and we recently were approach by an old friend of the bass player who is an excellent keyboard player about coming over and seeing if there would be an opportunity to work together.

Again, this guy is an excellent player.

It sucked. He'd heard us a few times and talked as if he understood our dynamics and tendencies for leaving some space between notes and yet, he stomped all over everything we were doing, filled every hole with sound.

We recorded the evening and played it back and he thought it was great....we all thought it blew chunks. Innocent bystanders thought is sounded pretty "busy".

So beware what you wish for if you've already got a sound in your head and you're happy with how your band plays.

Auriemma

I'm a rhythm guitar player at heart... why? because i love it. Being the glue between the bass and lead. I'll dabble in leads on the rare occasion, but I prefer strumming. But then, I'm weird that way. I'm currently working on a 4 piece, looking for keyboards. Feels empty without it. But then my last band was 6 members including a singer... and we could all sing. Miss that group, but I digress...

As for your band situation... audition for both. Like slipbeer said, you may think you know what you want until you hear it, and then hate it. Usually it's a clash of personalities, not the music. Try out both and see. The right new player might lean the group in a different direction... and you may like it.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
How about a guitarist that can play keyboard on some songs or vise versa? Hard to find maybe.

Pedalfinatic

Massive Buxton/Bruce fan here and I can totally understand what you're going for with that dual guitar, intertwining, weaving thing inspired by the Stones.
Helped that those early AC group songs were so special.

To me, the Trower thing is very much a different vibe. Not about the song, not about the band, just setting the mood for Trower to do his lead guitar thing.

You could make it work if the second guitarist can switch of his Bruce/Buxton hat and put on his 'support the lead guitarist 'hat. But more than likely he will do his natural thing and it will either clash with your vision, or it will enhance it and take it where you didn't expect. Unless you see yourself as the focal point ofvthe band, don't be too controlling. Relax and see where it takes you.
Yeah i get exactly what you mean when you say it's just setting the mood for his leads.. I definitely don't see myself as the leader but i am a driving force. We're all in it for life, but i usually am the one getting us all pumped up to play. But the last thing i wanna do is be controlling. I like music in a free form, and not sticking exactly to how it is on record and improvising a lot. I guess if it's going to be ABOUT the music and the group, i wouldn't lean toward trower. Although a beautiful tone (maybe not so much anymore) and great leads.. You're right about it. I'll try both i suppose. We'll experiment with a keyboardist and a guitarist. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. As long as i'm still playing my heart out and getting that spaced out butterflies in stomach, close my eyes and play all night vibe.. (i'm very descriptive.. it's just hard to explain the feeling of when you really get into a jam :p) Then i can't complain. Thanks man for the reply.. And awesome that you're an early coop fan like me.. not too many of those around who like those first four or five albums albums where they were on point completely. Sorry for dragging the reply out :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom