Choosing phaser and MXR Phase 95

andyg_prs

Hi,

I used to have a Phase 90 - I loved it, full and lush, but the effect was sometimes over the top for my requirements.

I now notice the Phase 95 offers Phase 90 and Phase 45 modes....and the Phase 45 appears to be more subtle plus there is the Script mode.

The small size is a bonus.

Some reviews suggest that it's quite trebly and adds a volume boost...some say not.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any other phase pedals (new or secondhand) that aren't too huge, that are flexible and therefore people think I should consider?

Thanks,
Andy

tdump

Silver Supporting Member
Check out a DOD 201.

My favorite phaser is the Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine. It might be a little over the top for your liking, but definitely worth taking a look at.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The DOD 201 is cheap and a super solid choice. The intensity is reduced as the rate is turned down. Pretty cool design for a 1 knob unit.

The Phase 95 has been getting great reviews as much as I notice. This is the first I've heard of anyone saying something lass than positive about it. Where did you read the reviews?

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up the discontinued Digitech Hardwire SP-7 about a year ago, discounted to $80 as an open box item at a Guitar Center.

It has a subtle 2 stage phaser, Phase 90 style 4 stage phaser, a 6, 8, and 10 stage phaser, and an Envelope filter and dynamic filter. More than I'll ever need. The Hardwire line had some real great pedals and I wish I could find their Stereo Chorus and Tremelo/Rotary speaker pedals.

Honestly though sometimes it's safer to stick to the classics that so many musicians ears have agreed on. The MXR Phase 90, RAT, Tube Screamer, etc... continue to live on so many pedalboards because so many guitarists decided they're very useful.

I like the TC Helix as surprised as I am to say that... ^ If I were looking for a multi mode phaser, the SP-7 would probably be the top contender.

I'd suggest simply trying out the Phase 95 though. If you don't like it, return it. It's pretty fantastic.

andyg_prs

Hi all, thanks for your input. I think the reviews were somewhere on here....anyhow I have gone ahead and ordered the Phase 95 as I have such fond memories of the Phase 90. It won't be here until the 28th though because of some pagan festival or something ;)

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
While I have not owned a lot of phasers over the years, I have owned several MXR Phasers from different eras.
I picked up the 95 soon after hearing about it. I mean a 45 and 90 in one lil' box with the mode switches to boot......no brainer at that price.
Granted, its been some years since I owned said old MXRs but, to my ears, this new 95 model checks the boxes for the classic MXR units' sounds.
imho, you need a slight boost to compensate for the dips in sound caused by the phase action, esp. at more extreme settings.
Nonetheless, I didn't notice anything overt in that category or with bass content on mine.

S. S. Bender

This is good news. When I first saw the Phase 95, I thought "Way to go MXR," this was an excellent idea!

stahlhart

I just picked up a Phase 95 yesterday, and absolutely love it. Not noticing any volume issues in the sweep; very smooth transition from bypass to effect.

I got it to complement the Virtuoso mainly -- I like both the Maestro and the MXR for their unique phasing characteristics in the appropriate places, and the compact size of the 95 was an added plus.

mici

Before I pull the trigger, are there any other phase pedals (new or secondhand) that aren't too huge, that are flexible and therefore people think I should consider?

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, there are plenty of good phasers around. EHX Small Stone (big / small chassis), Ibanez / Maxon PT-9 (they are quite the same) and of course Boss Phasers family.

So far I had:
-MXR Phase 90 (the new one; I sold it because I really hated the volume boost)
-EXH Small Stone (small chassis; I had it 5 years ago or so for short period, sold it anyway because phasers weren't my thing at that time)
-Boss PH-3 (it is digital; 7 modes available - 4,8,10,12 stage phasing and some weird'n'crazy synth-a-like phasing modes, you can plug expression pedal which is great feature, warning: some people complain about noticeable volume drop, some do not so just be aware of it - I had no problems with volume with my PH-3)
-Boss PH-2 (analog, PH-2 is somehow quite weird on clean channel - do not expect a great warmth and lushness that for example Phase 90 gives; it's more sterile and very tight and that makes PH-2 great for funky stuff. However I love it on the dirt - aggressive, punchy, and very distinct, this is the only phaser i've tried so far wich gave methat specific tone)

My MiJ PH-2 from 1986 will stay on my board forever. Another great shot from Boss could be a PH-1 or PH-1r - lush, warm and in my opinion much better than Phase90.

JMMP1

I love the phase 95. I got one for Christmas and like it more than my EVH 90. I like the different modes and button switches, but mostly leave it in the 90/nonscript setting so far.

andyg_prs

I've had the Phase 95 for a few days now. It has the same lovely, chewy, warm texture to the sound as I recall from my MXR 90 but has those extra options...I'd call it basically two sounds (45/90 modes) with a subtle difference with the "script" switch. I used it for my reggae rehearsal where it was addictive on clean...and just now for my prog rock band where with drive it inspired a new song.

Very happy :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom