Choosing the Right PRS

Hi,

I'm looking for the right PRS for me. I mostly play classic rock and jam band stuff. Gov't Mule, Neil Young, 70's bar band stuff, etc. through Soldano or Marshall amps with very few pedals. I sold a McCarty I had for years a while back and am looking to replace it.

My choices so far:

New Custom 22 - Trampas green. Bad move financially but I REALLY like the way these look and they're too new to get one used. Not sure if these are more modern sounding or not. Really like the sounds I'm hearing online in positions 2 and 4. 1, 3, and 5 are the classic humbucker tones to my ears but maybe a little hotter than I'm used to.

New Custom 22 from MF - They have 20% off right now and said it applies to the PRS stuff through Wednesday. Saving some cash and getting new, but not my absolute favorite color. Concerned I'll pine for the green one after a short time.

Used 513 - I found 2 that I really like. Have wanted one of these since they were announced but was not willing to drop $5k. Now they're in my price range. They look super versatile, but are the jack of all trades, master of none? Not sure how well these sound and can't find one near me.

Used Hollowbody 1 or 2 - found several in my price range online but know nothing about them. Always loved they way they look but most demo's I find are jazz or guys playing Steely Dan licks... :) . Can these hang with other humbucker equipped guitars or do they have a darker tone? I love bright guitars (for reference).

Trem's are a big plus as I have recently discovered how great a trem is after playing Gibson for years. Any advice would be a big help. I'm leaning toward either the 513 or losing money on the new Trampas Green Custom 22.

Russ73

OP I don't think you could go wrong with either, PRS is so consistent I just got a used 22 from Daves guitar shop and it as nice as the new ones Ive bought, for resale value potentially in the future you wont lose too much on the 513 because theyre used to begin with so I would lean in that direction.....but the 22 is awesome as well...

A CE-24 in Trampas Green might be more up your alley price-wise. Buy a multipole rotary and ditch the three-way and push-pull.

513 is one hellacious guitar in the studio, but a :FM live.

I could never remember just what damn sound went with which switch combo.

I sent mine back after two weeks and bought a used truck.

RhytmEarl

Well, I have a 513 and a Custom 24. Either one will work great for classic rock/jam band stuff.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Not to muddy the waters, but have you looked at the DGT? Sounds like it would be a bit closer to what you are looking for, but any of the PRS choices will be great. IMHO, buy the color you want. You're dropping enough cash on a guitar that you had better get one that you like. PRS very consistent, so there is a high likelihood that the Trampas model you get will be at least the equal of the MF one.

I have played a number of Hollowbodies and they are very neat guitars. For me, I would prefer one without the piezo (which is harder to find), as I have no need for one. The hollowbodies will certainly work for rock - you may have to pay a bit more attention to feedback, but they're not as "alive" as a big Gibson hollowbody.

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a Trampas Green CE 24 from AMS. Check out their scratch and dents for $1379-$1499. I have purchased 2 S&D's from them at about $500 off and both have been flawless and they have a 45 day return period. Pretty sure they are just customer returns.

Update: Thanks for all of the great info. The DGT's are definitely an option, but I'm not a huge fan of any of the colors I've seen so far. The good news is that I'm not in a huge hurry to get one. I have almost every other guitar that I would actually want so I'm definitely going to take my time and find one that I'll want to hang on to for years.

How far are you from Lexington? Visit Willcutt's and try EVERYTHING in PERSON. One thing you didn't touch on in your OP is neck shape/feel. There are enough differences that, if it were me, I'd seek out a big dealer and play 'em. Willcutt's just happens to be the biggest dealer, and they are only 3 hours from me.

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith
I'm 3 hours from Lexington, but I'm in Ft. Wayne all the time. I think a trip to Sweetwater is in order. :D

As soon as I finished your 1st paragraph I thought, "That's a great description of a DGT".
I started looking at the DGT's, but I really only like split humbucker tones in the middle position. That's part of what drew me to the Custom 22. The 2 split positions on the 5 way are a combination of pickups rather than just one pickup at a time.

Get something with regular humbucker pick up routing (so no to 408, 513s).

PRS Construction is top notch, but their pickups are a weak point in my opinion. With regular HB routing, you always have the option of pup swapping them if you don't like the factory ones.
This was kind of what I was thinking too.

Not to muddy the waters, but have you looked at the DGT? Sounds like it would be a bit closer to what you are looking for, but any of the PRS choices will be great. IMHO, buy the color you want. You're dropping enough cash on a guitar that you had better get one that you like. PRS very consistent, so there is a high likelihood that the Trampas model you get will be at least the equal of the MF one.

I have played a number of Hollowbodies and they are very neat guitars. For me, I would prefer one without the piezo (which is harder to find), as I have no need for one. The hollowbodies will certainly work for rock - you may have to pay a bit more attention to feedback, but they're not as "alive" as a big Gibson hollowbody.
This is what I'm thinking too. I know myself and if I get a different color to save a few $ I'll end up selling it at a loss and buying one that is the color I want. I'm just fickle like that I guess.

cutaway

Just go play as many as you can. We can't tell you what you'll like. Plus, it'll be fun. And just so you know that the hollows aren't just for jazz, here's Herring through a stack with his old band.

Just go play as many as you can. We can't tell you what you'll like. Plus, it'll be fun. And just so you know that the hollows aren't just for jazz, here's Herring through a stack with his old band.

Man Jimmy Herring is good! Believe me, I tried to go check some out. I went to every guitar shop in the area and only found a few SE's. I'm going to have to go to Sweetwater in a few weeks and check them out. I just don't love doing that because new PRSi are crazy expensive.

cutaway

Man Jimmy Herring is good! Believe me, I tried to go check some out. I went to every guitar shop in the area and only found a few SE's. I'm going to have to go to Sweetwater in a few weeks and check them out. I just don't love doing that because new PRSi are crazy expensive.
This dude makes that inexpensive hollow sound pretty good (and it seems like Phil is playing an epi SG). You don't have to spend tons of money if you know what you're doing :)

wilblee

Hack sans shame
Platinum Supporting Member
I completely support your decision to get the color you want. On the other hand, I bought a DGT in a color that normally doesn't appeal to me. After playing it for a bit I came to really like the look of the guitar. Kind of like the girl that doesn't initially catch your eye, but after getting to know her you realize she's beautiful. Funny thing is, I still don't like that look on other guitars.

fe911

I'm a big fan of the DGT too, had one for a little while. I like to play similar stuff. But, I found the DGT pickups were a bit too hot for me, I think the tremolo added to that also. I wanted a trem, but realized I rarely used it. I went with a McCarty with 57/08 pickups, and it is a perfect guitar. First one that I can't imagine changing in any way. Those pickups came in a lot of guitars, find one with them, and try it.
All the PRS guitars I've played I could live with happily just on build quality. I can't say that about the pickups.

Reactions: jkg

Trending Topics