Chopper - first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hank Linderman, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

Just got a Gig-FX Chpper pedal, very unusual stereo trem / pan / "chop" pedal. A few of the unusual features: the bypass switch is an optical switch activated by the pedal - rock the pedal forward and the pedal comes on. The shape of the pedal is unusual, construction is very good and yet it is very light. The controls and switches allow the pedal to control speed or for speed to be set by the knobs. The "chop" sound is something like a square wave trem that switches between the two amps. Very dramatic. The "stir" setting (my current fave) is panning with what sounds like a little bit of tone changing going on as the sound moves away from one speaker. It sounds alot like the side to side tremelo on a Rhodes piano, or like a less murky Univibe. The "blend" and "shake" appear to be variations of mixing the "chop" and "stir" (pan).

It isn't true bypass, but it isn't a tone sucker. I spoke with the company and they called it "silicon bypass" - the bypass is a solid state switch.

Overall, a very cool pedal for the experimental types.

Best...H

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

thanks for the thoughts. this has been on my short list for a while now :) seems to be a nice alternative to other modulation pedals out there...

3. cameron

cameron Member

How does it act if there are two amps connected (stereo) and the pedal is pypassed? Does it send the bypassed signal to both amps or only to one of them?

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You had to go ahead and mention "rhodes vibrato" and "uni-vibe"... I need a stereo pedal to split my clean/dirty signals and operate in stereo (clean is going to have an organ sound added occasionally through the Leslie and the dirty is just guitar sound w/ pedals into amp)... had my mind set on Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, this one always seemed cool, maybe I should get the regular moon phaser in mono placed before the Chopper splitting the signals.... soo cool on the clips... definitely a different style trem than on the Red Witch from what I've researched...

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump for something I'm curious about that hasn't had many opinions posted here.

6. DocGonzo

DocGonzo Member

i just ordered one today...i've heard good things...and heard adam jones with tool use one live a few days ago and it sounded tight... ill be sure to post more when the little bugger arrives...

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

how does it work in mono?

8. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine for around 3 months and I love using it in Stereo, the band members who are playing in front of the stereo amps tend to get a swaying dizzy feeling because of the chopping trem pan setting, it sends the bypassed signal to both (98% sure)

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm not very impressed with mine when used in mono. I find pretty useless actually. The trem is good but not great and the rest of the settings just result in gated sounds.

In stereo OTOH, this pedal is great. This is the only good way to use the pedal.

When it's bypassed (in stereo), the signal is sent to both outputs.